User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2009, 06:54 PM   #46
malibug
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
trail rides of Yuma

xymotic, is this where you went to ride in Yuma? did you have to pay $250? and did you have to make reservations before you come? lunch included huh!!LOL, nice pictures and trip report. thanks for sharing.

malibug screwed with this post 11-11-2009 at 07:45 PM
malibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:06 PM   #47
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
Urgh, broken chain and case. Stock lumpy chain?

Sorry 'bout your pup.

Yep, Stock chain which I have not really taken care of, plus I wheelie twice a day coming and going down my street, and the axle got misaligned and I was wailing on it in that hole.

Can't believe that sucker broke
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:19 PM   #48
Happy Buddha
Explorer

Oddometer: 86
Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:32 PM   #49
Jonny Utah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Sorry about your friend, its hard. We have been there. I did the same thing to help take my mind off my friend of 14 years, Hails. I rode to Tuweep pt to just get away from it all and think about life. It was a great trip.
Cycle of life. Chin up.
92 FZR 1000
FAH*Q

VSH, the rock.
Jonny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:39 PM   #50
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Thanks for sharing, wife and I are fellow Dalmatian owners as well. Lost our first Dal Louie a few summers back to cancer.

Dalton is still with us, though he's getting up there in years and having some rear hip mobility issues.

Such good dogs.

I hate doing what we've both had to do with every fiber of my being, but sometimes it's what is best.

Funny how these furry creatures can have such an effect.

Thanks for sharing your journey, I hope you find peace out there somewhere.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:57 PM   #51
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjherman
Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for reading

My Favorite part of ADV is the amazing ride reports an imagining I could see the places. Most of my rides are: "I rode for three hours in a circle today, the end." It's a privilege to actually go to some of these places, & It's nice being able to vent and share stuff here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Utah
Sorry about your friend, its hard. We have been there. I did the same thing to help take my mind off my friend of 14 years, Hails. I rode to Tuweep pt to just get away from it all and think about life. It was a great trip.
Cycle of life. Chin up.
Thank you, I keep telling myself the same thing re cycle of life. I'm having a hard time because Splotch still had a lot of vitality in him, Yet at the same time he was deteriorating very quickly and I didn't want him to suffer more. I think the ride and thinking about putting together this report is the only thing that got me through this and keeps me sane. I was Soooooo close to going to the canyon, but I think I'll save that for a longer trip.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale

xymotic screwed with this post 11-11-2009 at 09:05 PM
Old 11-12-2009, 12:16 AM   #52
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here's the stuff I was carrying. I dunno hopefully somebody can tell me what to get rid of rather than telling me I need more crap.

Spares:
clutch cable
fuel line
misc screws/washers/bolts
fuses
hose clamps
heat shrink
a short length of misc wire
extra knife blades
electrical tape
brake & clutch lever
hose connector
electrical butt connectors
tire valve
tire pump
old 21" tube. (think I'm gonna replace this HD tube with a smaller one.)

Tools:

I don't have a inventory of this so I can't say exactly the sizes.
'quicksteel epoxy' , rimsavers, socket set, screwdriver bits for the ratchet, few links of chain, master link, chain tool (added after the incident)
chain lube, sm vise-grips, sm needle nose vise grips (not pictured), 6" crescent, 6-18(?) wrenches, small screwdriver, tire irons (one is a 27 for the rear axle, other is not a size used on the bike), tube patch kit, locktite, valve fishing/removal tool, utility knife, zip ties, self amalgamating tape,
10mm allen, allen set, hemostat, chain tool directions. Bailing wire (not pictured cuz I used it)

Heated Gear:
This was totally unnecessary on this trip, and I am re-considering this stuff.
Pluses I Already have it, and it is Magnificent to ride with.
Minusses limited warmth without Power. Not really useful to wear in a sleeping bag for example, it's pretty bulky. The Klim Jacket I recently got is VERY warm, (thanks Mike!!) so I'm considering carrying fleece and that instead. We'll see how it goes this winter :)

Camping Gear, again totally unnecessary on this trip, but I was glad I had it. When the chain broke on me I could have set up camp and been comfortable. I'd hate to be stuck in the boonies with no food/shelter.

Even though I didn't use it I consider this trip a practice run for an eventual longer venture.
The craftsman bag has rope and tent spikes, grilliput grill, REI tarp, hammock, small first aid kid (mostly band-aids) inflatable pillow,
orange bag has straps for hammock, Marmot 0deg down bag, rei 40 degree down bag, big agnes insulated pad. I'm planning on refining this with a hennesy hammock or similar, or I might get a tent.

camelback, which I despise wearing

Rei cooler bag. I got this at their used gear sale for $7. It works Really well
This one's been worked over pretty good, I may just have to spend $26 on a new one.

Toiletries in tank bag
headlight, flashlight, heartburn pills, lighter(2) firesteel, fire tinder (lint), nuvi 500, spot, camera charger, water purification tablets, carmex, soap, handi-wipes, toothpaste, toothebrush, sunscreen, DEET mosquito repellent, Camera

sun hat & tire gauge go in tank bag

I also have my iPhone plugged into power on the bike giving me backup GPS, Cell and music.

1 gal spare gas

here's what it looks like loaded up, Giant loop Coyote Saddlebag & Fandango Tank Bag.

I took some swimming trunks/shorts and flip flops. No other clothes. (I had Ruth bring some jeans with her that I wore around Yuma)

I have acool mini fishing rod/reel and I'm pretty super-pissed I forgot it.
Comments/Criticisms/Suggestions are welcome
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 11-12-2009, 12:41 AM   #53
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

Return trip to LA.

I learned that out of beer = near death. So I'm determined not to have another near death experience.

I'm just her kid, but this is my Mom's baby":

Ready to roll out

Just a few blocks away I found a nice shortcut

I'm boycotting Chevron so I went to Circle K for Gas.

Son of

A

Bitch!

Meanwhile, across the street...

it's amazing, I literally cannot avoid the place!

I decided to Needed to go back to the scene of the incident and look for the chain guard mount and then maybe I could weld my case instead of getting a new one. SO I headed off generally North towards Blythe. But then I spied a canal road, and I do love a scenic canal road!

I started stopping for pix almost immediately, it's going to be a long day.

I don't know why I'm surprised or why I didn't already know it, but Arizona has just the most amazing variety of terrain of anywhere I've been before. Dunes, rivers, marshes, mountains all within yards of one another.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale

xymotic screwed with this post 11-15-2009 at 11:10 PM
Old 11-12-2009, 12:49 AM   #54
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dox
Thanks for sharing, wife and I are fellow Dalmatian owners as well. Lost our first Dal Louie a few summers back to cancer.

Dalton is still with us, though he's getting up there in years and having some rear hip mobility issues.

Such good dogs.

I hate doing what we've both had to do with every fiber of my being, but sometimes it's what is best.

Funny how these furry creatures can have such an effect.

Thanks for sharing your journey, I hope you find peace out there somewhere.

I'm sorry to hear about Dalton, how old is he? Dalmatians have amazing personalities that's for sure!

My Condolences to your family for Louie as well.

Ultimately, it is what it is, I don't know if there is any peace to be found, but time heals all wounds I guess.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 11-12-2009, 12:53 AM   #55
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdedse
Great desert photos! I had to look at this twice to see it, but then milk coursed through my nose@#!

It had to come out somewhere, but I don't think the nose is optimal. Certainly that has to negatively impact one's penmanship.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 11-12-2009, 12:57 AM   #56
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibug
xymotic, is this where you went to ride in Yuma? did you have to pay $250? and did you have to make reservations before you come? lunch included huh!!LOL, nice pictures and trip report. thanks for sharing.
I wish! Maybe I wouldn't have got so lost. 250cc's for two people vs 576 for just me, hmmm I wonder which rig is more fun

That's a good gig for them though, a dollar a cc. Judging from some of the gold-plated RV's I spied round Yuma I but that outfit is pretty busy though.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 11-12-2009, 04:36 AM   #57
reBARman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
I love that area. I worked in Blythe for a few months years ago, and really dug the terrain. Some area's (closer to the river) can be very lush, while others look like they were used for A-Bomb testing If you hang out there long enough to explore, I remember there being a cool dirt offshoot connecting the 78 with the 10. Milpitas Wash Road I believe.

Stay safe...
Old 11-12-2009, 11:07 AM   #58
rinconrider
Sir Crash-a-lot

Oddometer: 351
thanks for sharing the adventure for those of us all bound up by work and kids and... life.

be free but be smart - the desert is getting cold at night and it can bite you when you're alone. i know you're not naive but still.

and if you're gonna do this stuff, get a spot!!!

wes

08 R1200R (mostly stock)
08 WR250R (all done)
rinconrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:12 AM   #59
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinconrider
thanks for sharing the adventure for those of us all bound up by work and kids and... life.

be free but be smart - the desert is getting cold at night and it can bite you when you're alone. i know you're not naive but still.

and if you're gonna do this stuff, get a spot!!!

wes
Top center

Along with 4 batteries, 2 lighters and a firesteel, a 0 and a 40 degree sleeping bag, what more do I need to keep warm at night?
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 11-12-2009, 02:12 PM   #60
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
Comments/Criticisms/Suggestions are welcome

Pretty good set up you have going already!! Ditch that HD 21" tube, standard is much lighter. I used to carry an 18" too, but after using all of my tubes and patches one day I threw the 21" tube in the back..so much easier to deal with on the trailside!! I'd ditch the spare levers, that's why you spent all of that $$ on the handgaurds, they're supposed to save the levers in a fall...if they don't, toss them for some that will. I like a CamelBak, maybe loosen the straps so it will sag down and rest on the duffle bag...that's what I do to get the weight off of my shoulders.

I was standing in the Hard Rock in Vegas one time, looking at the Sublime display and noticed in the handwritten lyrics that Brad's Dalmation was named Louie, same as my little Jack Russel...Louie. A rock star dog, he used to lay on the stage behind Brad during shows..cool dogs.