User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
Albie OP
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,667
690 E Radiator leak

Well, looks like the fan sits a little too close to the rad and the blades eventually wore a couple holes into the radiator.
The bikes never been down so I know that didn't happen because of crash damage. The damn fan's just too close. Gonna take it to the dealer later this week and see what they and KTM say about it. A new one costs $500. If they won't replace it for free then I'll just take it down to a rad shop and let them fix it. Then I'll shim the fan housing so it stands of the rad.

Albie screwed with this post 11-17-2009 at 03:48 PM
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
BajaDave
Crazy Bastard

Oddometer: 261
That damage is not actually from the fan blade itself striking the radiator, but rather from the housing itself rubbing/beating/wearing itself against the radiator from vibration and bumps.

I just gave mine a quick feel, and it is not secured tightly enough against the radiator such that it would eliminate movement (it wiggles easily), and that's going to lead to the same problem you have if I don't do something about it. So thanks for the heads up.

There should be some sort of rubber gasket that sandwiches between the housing and radiator that prevents damage and movement and increases fan efficiency. If not, then the whole fan housing should be spaced away enough so that when it jiggles and wiggles and vibrates, it doesn't touch the radiator core.

Warranty should cover it so long as there's no indication of crash to the assembly/radiator/bike. Good luck.

GripTwister Dual Sport Tours

BajaDave screwed with this post 11-09-2009 at 12:43 PM
BajaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
Albie OP
Kool Aid poisoner

Ahh, makes sense that it's the housing and not the fan blades. I was wondering why I never heard them rubbing. I really didn't even look at the fan closely after I yanked the rad off.

You're right, some of the other owners may want to take a look to make sure they aren't rubbing holes in them.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
BajaDave
Crazy Bastard

Okay 690 owners, heads up! Albie's incident has uncovered a design flaw with the cooling fan. I've got 1500 miles on my 690 and just pulled off the fan to check the wear, and it has already started to make slight grooves into the core tubes where the plastic rubs against it. If you don't do something about it, you WILL eventually spring a leak, just as Albie did... it's just a matter of time. It will likely occur after your warranty is up, though, so you should address the problem now.

The problem is that KTM did not use a soft, flexible air seal (like a rubber gasket) to fill what should be an intentionally designed small gap between the radiator and the cooling fan housing. Instead, they designed the fit such that there is no gap (or a very, very thin one), such that the hard thin plastic ring of the fan housing lightly contacts the core of the radiator when fitted. Any movement caused by vibration or shock is translated into friction between the fan housing and radiator core, eventually wearing a hole into it. Bad design... period!

I am going to remove an 1/8 inch or so of the ring on my fan housing and fit a split rubber strip (like what protects the fairing from rubbing into the dash piece on an LC4 Adventure, or like you'd put on the edge of your car door to protect it from chipping paint if you open it onto something) to fill the air gap and then refit it. I'll post pics when I get it done.

WTF KTM?

Check yours!

Old 11-09-2009, 03:45 PM   #5
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,896
That is odd, as the fan kits for RFS bikes came with weatherstripping to fit between fan housing and rad. Quite an oversight. Good luck with warranty claims, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaDave
Okay 690 owners, heads up! Albie's incident has uncovered a design flaw with the cooling fan. I've got 1500 miles on my 690 and just pulled off the fan to check the wear, and it has already started to make slight grooves into the core tubes where the plastic rubs against it. If you don't do something about it, you WILL eventually spring a leak, just as Albie did... it's just a matter of time. It will likely occur after your warranty is up, though, so you should address the problem now.

The problem is that KTM did not use a soft, flexible air seal (like a rubber gasket) to fill what should be an intentionally designed small gap between the radiator and the cooling fan housing. Instead, they designed the fit such that there is no gap (or a very, very thin one), such that the hard thin plastic ring of the fan housing lightly contacts the core of the radiator when fitted. Any movement caused by vibration or shock is translated into friction between the fan housing and radiator core, eventually wearing a hole into it. Bad design... period!

I am going to remove an 1/8 inch or so of the ring on my fan housing and fit a split rubber strip (like what protects the fairing from rubbing into the dash piece on an LC4 Adventure, or like you'd put on the edge of your car door to protect it from chipping paint if you open it onto something) to fill the air gap and then refit it. I'll post pics when I get it done.

WTF KTM?

Check yours!
Old 11-11-2009, 01:30 AM   #6
mattis
n00b

Oddometer: 0
Thanks for the headsup! Remember to post pictures of your solution :)
Old 11-11-2009, 02:54 AM   #7
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,169
Solution

+1 on fix - bike has 1800 on it - need to take a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattis
Thanks for the headsup! Remember to post pictures of your solution :)
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:30 AM   #8
mattis
n00b

Pissed

I posted it on a swedish offroad forum (www.soe.se) and a guy (badpitt) replied telling me that his radiator sprung leak at the location of the electrical plug connected to the radiator fan. He provided the following alteration of your image.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:40 AM   #9
mattis
n00b

Alright, I've checked it on my bike (09 KTM 690 Enduro R at 7090 kilometers) and I sure have the same markings. They aren't deep, but they will need to be adressed. I am going to call my contact at the KTM dealership as well.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:55 PM   #10
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattis
I posted it on a swedish offroad forum (www.soe.se) and a guy (badpitt) replied telling me that his radiator sprung leak at the location of the electrical plug connected to the radiator fan. He provided the following alteration of your image.

Same happened to me, posted in the big thread about it too.
tehdutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:36 PM   #11
Johnny_5
Disassemble!

Oddometer: 278

This is where mine's at after 5700 miles. I'm going to try to space the fan housing off the radiator for a short term solution.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:58 AM   #12
BajaDave
Crazy Bastard

Well, here are the pics of my fix. My fan, like probably most of yours, sits just barely off the radiator core with just the tiniest bit of space. I was going to shave off just a little bit of the shroud all the way around before putting the rubber on, but decided to give it a try since the material is actually pretty thin, and the legs of the housing are flexible and would compensate for a slightly tight fit.

It turned out to be a perfect fit, and only required a slight compression to snug the housing flange tight under the bolt that holds it to the radiator. This should keep the hard nylon edge of the fan shroud from vibrating against the core now and eating a hole into one of the tubes. I will check it in a thousand miles or so and see how it's holding up and if it's doing it's job with no ill side effects.

The material I used is what KTM puts between the plastic dash piece and the fairing on the 640 Adventure... I just happened to have a extra piece left over that I kept after replacing mine, and I'm glad I did. It appears to be made of a soft PVC material, almost like rubber (could be?). The KTM part number for it is 58214070150

For whatever reason, the listed price for the approximately 24 inch piece of protector in KTM's USA database is about $115, but that is a known glitch in the system... as I recall I paid less than 10 bucks to order it from the local dealer. You'll have to have your dealer call Ohio to work out the actual price... good luck. Note that European and Australian KTM parts sources list it correctly for the equivelent of just a few bucks.

You may be able to find it somewhere else, but the stuff that I've seen in auto parts stores is made of a much thicker and quite hard plastic that wouldn't be suitable... like for car door edges.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:12 AM   #13
mattis
n00b

Great pictures, I'll get on it!

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2009, 06:51 AM   #14
Albie OP
Kool Aid poisoner

Good stuff Dave. I'm gonna check a local auto parts store and see if they have something like that. Looks like weather stripping.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:58 AM   #15
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Great idea, especially if you have to order some other parts anyway. In Europe the cost is 1.80 which is a smoking $2.70. Quite surprising that there is no big mark up like on some other small parts.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote