User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
Kiwi Tinkerer OP
Ross

Oddometer: 379
BMW XCH simple seat mod

Hi, I have a new X-Challenge. Picked it up a few months ago. One of the last 2 new bikes for sale in this part of the world. Anyway, 7 hour ride home on the standard seat. Even with the airhawk it was very painful.
The airhwak is OK but a hassle when you want to do a bit of dirt. I wanted to make the standard seat bareable for the short ride to get to the dirt.

So I did the initial mod, as recomended on this site, which is to trim an inch off it. Makes it a bit lower (good for 5'10"). Plus a bit wider. I rode it like this for a bit but still too hard.

So my next mod was to strip the seat again. This time I made a punch out of a piece of stainless tube. 10mm (3/8 inch). I then punched holes in the area where I sit. I made a grid with spacing of about an inch (25mm) and then punched a hol at the centre of each square. It softened the seat up perfectly. I recomend experimenting to get the amount of give you need for your weight. I then put the cover back on. Much better.
Kiwi Tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:48 AM   #2
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,819
Pictures
Old 11-27-2009, 08:15 AM   #3
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 24,726
I know a few folks who've done this to the LC4 seat. It provides very short term relief while sacrificing long term support. You will hit the seat pan sooner without the missing foam and be in more pain than when you started. You really need to investigate aftermarket options if you want any real improvement.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,477
I really don't think the seat is THAT bad. I traded with another ADVer for the low seat. The low seat is a better ride height for me (5'8"), but it is less comfortable. The silly bump in the back of the low seat is awful and I plan on cutting it out.

I may one day invest in a Renazco, but I think there are bigger priorities first.

I also have heard, as others have stated, that it really isn't so much the softness as it is the width. In fact, I think some aftermarket seats are actually pretty firm. When I eventually cut off the low seat hump, I may try to widen the back a little bit for a bit more support.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:03 PM   #5
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,819
Renazco recieved my seat since Tuesday, can't wait to get it back...
Old 11-27-2009, 04:43 PM   #6
Kiwi Tinkerer OP
Ross

Oddometer: 379
Not too much

I agree that an aftermarket seat is the way to go. This is an alternative for those that want to ride 30 miles to the nearest dirt without needing to take a comfort pad. I was not after touring comfort.

The trick is not to take too much out. I did not make it plush. Just less firm. So it does not bottom out. (Punn intended?) So instead of sitting on a piece of 4x2 hardwood. it is now more like sitting on pine.

I took some pics. Will try to add them soon.
Kiwi Tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:48 AM   #7
pampaX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
my 2 cents ..
When I first got the bike the seat was quite firm but after 25000K its now fine ... I have done few times more than 8h riding and is not too bad in fact is the wind that can actually be more problematic.

so you may actually need to ride it more and it will improve
pampaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:37 AM   #8
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters
I really don't think the seat is THAT bad.

Yes it is! 50 Km and my bot bot is screaming for mercy. I have the high seat and was planning on suffering until the air shock had to be replaced; then I could get a seat made to match the ride height that an ordinary shock gives.

I`m thinking the Conti shock may outlast me, so in the new year a re-padded seat will be on the cards.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:14 AM   #9
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4ME
Yes it is! 50 Km and my bot bot is screaming for mercy. I have the high seat and was planning on suffering until the air shock had to be replaced; then I could get a seat made to match the ride height that an ordinary shock gives.

I`m thinking the Conti shock may outlast me, so in the new year a re-padded seat will be on the cards.
Maybe my view is distorted since my previous ride was a DRZ. Now THAT is a terrible seat. I think others would agree with me it isn't too bad, like maybe somebody who has spent time in prison.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:20 AM   #10
"A"
numbum

Oddometer: 372
It's a plank but I have no probs with the Airhawk on. Rode it across the Nullabor without pain. It unclips easly enough when you get to the dirt action.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:36 AM   #11
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,877
ya'll are a bunch of pansy ass'
Old 11-28-2009, 07:09 AM   #12
Sno Dawg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Wicked give it time - it will improve

"sure it is hard at first but give it some time and it will soften up!"

that's what she said!!

I have found that the seat has gotten more comfortable over time. The first couple of months I had it, I would come back from a ride and have to stretch out me back. At 2500 miles, I don't even notice it. I have done a lot of offroading/standing up with mine and I at this point I am probably going to keep it.

I have a Renazco on my KTM 640 Adventure and it is an amazing seat. That bike vibes a lot and the suede seat soaks it up nicely when I am sitting and gives me legs something to grab when I am standing.

If you have the $$, get a Renazco - if not give it time.

Teeth to the wind,
Sno Dawg
Sno Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote