Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #16
JohnBryer
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by edstoll
I really appreciate how well Kevin took care of it. Did he ever get it dirty?
Of course. Our last ride was to the top of Pike's Peak. A lot of the history of that bike is documented here: http://kevinm.smugmug.com/
JohnBryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:33 PM   #17
2slow
Road toad

Oddometer: 456
Great ride. And you have ten years to plan for your 60th!
2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #18
KevinMcCall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
I got the V-Strom a little dirty but not quite as dirty as I've gotten the KLR.

Very cool to fly and ride 1,000 miles for a new bike. I might have to do the same one of these days.

Great ride report. I'm hoping I'll see at least another 30,000 miles worth of ride reports with that bike. It likes to have its picture taken with nice scenery in the background.

Nice to meet you, Ed. Couldn't have sold the bike to a better guy. Let me know if you're down this way again. You got me thinking about doing at least some eastern TAT next spring.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #19
JohnBryer
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 923
Kevin, change your signature
JohnBryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #20
Paul M.
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Ed's Excellent Adventure

Ed: Good report on the very neat ride. Crap, I turned 50 over a year ago and did not get an adventure like yours! I guess some guys live better than others. Thanks.
Paul M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:57 AM   #21
edstoll OP
OPD-2019

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M.
Ed: Good report on the very neat ride. Crap, I turned 50 over a year ago and did not get an adventure like yours! I guess some guys live better than others. Thanks.
It's not too late.
edstoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:39 AM   #22
Great Buffalo
Great Plains Rider

Oddometer: 509
Hey

Nice treat. I love this sort of stuff.
Great Buffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:31 AM   #23
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,228
That's the way to do it! When I turned 50 I wanted to stick my toes i some warm sand .I flew to Costa Rica and rented a XT 600 for a few days. Good time ,but you got a bike forever!
I don't really know how to put this but, does it suck to be back in Iowa after riding in N.C., Tn. Ky. and Mo.?
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:00 AM   #24
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,141
Very cool, and Happy Birthday! When I turned 48 (several years ago now ) I did the same kind of thing to pick up a new-to-me bike in Phoenix, Arizona and got to ride around the Grand Canyon on the way home (to Lander, Wyoming). It's oh so sweet to play with your new toy like that! Unfortunately my birthday is November 28th so it was a tad chilly with ice and snow in places, but it was still fun.

I now live in Lexington, Virginia which is about 10 miles from the BRP. I got a kick out of your statement:

For those of you who don’t know about the BRP. It is a serene passage that weaves through the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia and North Carolina, the Blue Ridge Parkway is specifically designed for leisurely driving, so you can cruise along at your own pace and relish the astounding views of the Mountains year-round.

I work in Roanoke and when I ride the bike I'll sometimes come home on the BRP. Many times I've ridden the entire 70 or so miles on a glorious weekday afternoon and seen only a couple of cars and zero park rangers, so it's a bit hard to keep it "leisurely" . Those curves were MADE for going fast on motorcycles! It's a wonderful place to ride and only closes if we get snow and ice (they don't plow) which isn't all that common.

Congrats on the new bike!

Doug
Old 11-11-2009, 12:06 PM   #25
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Rode the "Land Between the Lakes" back in 1982 on a cross country bicycle trip. It was good to see that it is still there and looks to be unchanged. Had Buffalo then too!!
Happy Birthday
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:51 PM   #26
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,735
Ed,
I did the same thing a few years ago.. Bought a ticket to LA and went out for a 97 GS.. Came back thru northern AZ, and New Mexico.. Great, Oklahoma, not so great, and Ark, great..
I told my wife the adventure was worth the price of the bike.. If the bike ended up worth 0.. I was even..

That's just a great way to get a bike and a ride.. I thought later, I should have bought one in Alaska..

By the way, thats nice lookin strom..
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:31 PM   #27
rcook52459
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
congrat's on the great birthday present and fun ride.
rcook52459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:35 PM   #28
wvdeuce
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
I really enjoyed your RR. I am dreaming about getting a another bike. I have some health issues so it on hold for now but I can always look. As I discovered getting older in life the way a man keeps his property and himself reflects on how his takes care of things. All the bikes I have looked on the internet look to be in fantastic condition when I see a sharp clean house and uncluttered garage in the photos.
Looks like you got a great bike. Question, I assume you had a pickup at the air port. How did you load the bike in the bed by yourself?

Deuce
wvdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:52 PM   #29
whatsgnu
Scheissekopf

Oddometer: 281
Happy Birthday and congrats on the bike and the trip !

I turned 50 last November and my wife agreed to let me get a wee strom . I looked and looked and couldn't quite pull the trigger until March when I found a used '08 with 52 miles on it ! It has been a great ride after 25 years without a bike .

Enjoy the bike and remember age is just a number !
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.
whatsgnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:08 PM   #30
edstoll OP
OPD-2019

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker
That's the way to do it! When I turned 50 I wanted to stick my toes i some warm sand .I flew to Costa Rica and rented a XT 600 for a few days. Good time ,but you got a bike forever!
I don't really know how to put this but, does it suck to be back in Iowa after riding in N.C., Tn. Ky. and Mo.?
There sure isn't anything wrong with how you did your 50th. If fact I envy that. I would like to try it someday myself.

As far as being sucky here, The states you mention have great riding but for me Iowa is home. Born and raised here. As I go on these trips I really really enjoy all the scenery and twisty roads but I get homesick. This is where my wife , family and friends are. It's also nice to get home to my own bed and toilet.

Besides, now that I have a Wee Strom all those great destinations just got closer.
edstoll is offline   Reply With Quote