Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2009, 06:13 PM   #31
edstoll OP
OPD-2019

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix
Very cool, and Happy Birthday! When I turned 48 (several years ago now ) I did the same kind of thing to pick up a new-to-me bike in Phoenix, Arizona and got to ride around the Grand Canyon on the way home (to Lander, Wyoming). It's oh so sweet to play with your new toy like that! Unfortunately my birthday is November 28th so it was a tad chilly with ice and snow in places, but it was still fun.

I now live in Lexington, Virginia which is about 10 miles from the BRP. I got a kick out of your statement:

For those of you who don’t know about the BRP. It is a serene passage that weaves through the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia and North Carolina, the Blue Ridge Parkway is specifically designed for leisurely driving, so you can cruise along at your own pace and relish the astounding views of the Mountains year-round.

I work in Roanoke and when I ride the bike I'll sometimes come home on the BRP. Many times I've ridden the entire 70 or so miles on a glorious weekday afternoon and seen only a couple of cars and zero park rangers, so it's a bit hard to keep it "leisurely" . Those curves were MADE for going fast on motorcycles! It's a wonderful place to ride and only closes if we get snow and ice (they don't plow) which isn't all that common.

Congrats on the new bike!

Doug
Thanks Doug.

My wife's birthday is the 21st of November. Maybe I can go get one somewhere for her but I won't do Wyoming that time of year like you did.

I stole the BRP statement from some website. I agree with you leisurely is not proper on that road with a bike.
edstoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:17 PM   #32
edstoll OP
OPD-2019

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvdeuce
Question, I assume you had a pickup at the air port. How did you load the bike in the bed by yourself?

Deuce
I had a loading ramp in the back of the pick up. It wasn't really any harder than loading a dirt bike. It would be much tougher with a Goldwing or something. I had to take the windshield off to clear the ceiling.

edstoll screwed with this post 11-12-2009 at 12:59 PM
Old 11-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #33
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,387
Congrats on the Wee Storm and looks like you had a great binding with the bike on the way home. Sure did some of the great roads of the area for sure. Thanks for sharing yur new experience with us.

A '00 KLR 650 38,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:14 PM   #34
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,433
What a cool way to celebrate your 50th! In just a couple of years I'll be ready to do the same. Perhaps I'll take a wee to Alaska from Austin!
Rock-on dude!
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:57 AM   #35
keninpcfl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Enjoyed the ride report. Thanks for sharing
keninpcfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:52 PM   #36
blacktruck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Thumb My hat is off to you.....

Excellent RR. Passed the milestone a few years back with nowhere close to an adventure like that. You did good. I think it's great that you have found a bike like that and to have picked it up like you did and then even further to have recorded the trip home for all of us inmates. Thanks for sharing.
Gotta check your other trips. I love riding in the southeast.
Ride safe man...
Old 01-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #37
traindriver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Great report. I think I'll ride down their this summer and check out the BRP. Thanks for the idea.
traindriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #38
edstoll OP
OPD-2019

Thanks for dragging up my old ride report. It was great to re-live it. A lot has happened since that time and I savor the memories.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #39
mikem9
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,194
Ed - I enjoyed riding your old report tonight. Always enjoyable to read about and adventurer such as yourself who has a sense of wonder about the world!
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote