ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2009, 09:51 PM   #1
focallength OP
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Oddometer: 4,364
liabiltiy insurance for OHV

I thought I would post this in case some people dont know. In CA. you need to have Insurance for any vehicle including but not limited to green/red sticker bikes, quads, dune buggies etc... Obviously this isnt enforced in all areas. But in some of the more popular areas (Glamis) it is enforced regularly. Below is a exerpt from another site. So just be aware, a common tatcic is to stop you for some minor violation and then hand you a nice $450 no insurance ticket.

CVC 16020(a) Every driver and every owner of a motor vehicle shall at all times be able to establish financial responsibility pursuant to
Section 16021, and shall at all times carry in the vehicle evidence
of the form of financial responsibility in effect for the vehicle.

Now we know that 95% of you Glamis dune riders do not carry liability insurance on your quads, motorcycles, and off-road vehicles. But, beware that you can and will be cited and fined pursuant this obscure California law. This law was created for enforcement utilization on the streets of California because of the "cheaters" who failed to obtain vehicle liability insurance when this law took effect. However, most recently this law has hit the dune riding community rather hard. Generally, the law enforcement officer will conduct a traffic stop on you and your vehicle for a particular vehicle code violation such as unsafe speed, no visible green sticker, no light, no flag, etc. Whether or not you were actually in violation of the allegation made by the officer, he/she has the legal right to request identification and registration on the vehicle you're operating. And of late, they are requesting to see proof of liability insurance. Once they determine you don't have liability insurance, it's an easy citation for them regardless whether or not they cite you for the violation they stopped you for. So it's a lose-lose for you and a win-win for them. Be aware of the need to carry liability insurance.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:11 PM   #2
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
........and as soon as you've made sure you have this insurance you can bet your ass they will find some other way/thing/loophole/doohickey to cite you for..... It never ends.

I say better to make sure you have your jet kits and performance upgrades in place so when you twist it good they can't catch you

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:48 AM   #3
Mike Vaughan
Jagermeister

Oddometer: 215
Didn't even think you could insure OHV vehicles really... Thanks.

~Mike
Mike Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:10 AM   #4
focallength OP
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Heres another obscure law that they can get you for

PARENTAL SUPERVISION. No person under the age of 14 shall operate an all-terrain vehicle unless that person satisfies the requirements of 38503 C.V.C. (safety certification) and in addition, is accompanied by and under the direct supervision of a parent or guardian.

REQUIRED RIDER SAFETY TRAINING. No person under the age of 18 shall operate an all-terrain vehicle(ATV) unless he/she has received the safety course in this state or another state or is under the direct supervision of an adult who has the appropriate safety certification in his/her possession (38503 CVC.)

The funny thing about this one is the only way to get the required cert. is through the DMV and the DMV dosent give out the certs. anymore. So basically if your under 18 you or your gaurdian can be cited, be told to pack everything up and leave.

A lot of companies wont insure OHV's but there are a couple out there. Theres one in particular that does do it, but for the life of me I cant remember the name of the company right now.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:11 AM   #5
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Vaughan
Didn't even think you could insure OHV vehicles really... Thanks.

~Mike
Progressive and Foremost write this crap all day long.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:23 PM   #6
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by jryden
........and as soon as you've made sure you have this insurance you can bet your ass they will find some other way/thing/loophole/doohickey to cite you for..... It never ends.

I say better to make sure you have your jet kits and performance upgrades in place so when you twist it good they can't catch you
The problem with that is 1) Radios 2) Helicopters 3) Law enforcement officers on motorcycles that know every inch of the area they are patrolling and are paid $ to ride all day and most (not all) are extremely good at it (a lot of them race too)

http://www.firepolicemx.com/

Good luck though!
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
sito
Where the Hell am I?

Oddometer: 1,527
I for one think that you should have Liability Insurance. Way to many irresponsible people out there. I can't tell you how many times some teenage jerk-off has ran into me and you know dam well that they have no insurance. I'm out the money to fix my ride and they get off for free. Now what if one of your love ones or kids gets in a wreck, that could bankrupt some family's. I for one think they should enforce this law more! Just like your car no insurance no registration.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:23 PM   #8
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by sito
I for one think that you should have Liability Insurance. Way to many irresponsible people out there. I can't tell you how many times some teenage jerk-off has ran into me and you know dam well that they have no insurance. I'm out the money to fix my ride and they get off for free. Now what if one of your love ones or kids gets in a wreck, that could bankrupt some family's. I for one think they should enforce this law more! Just like your car no insurance no registration.
I Agree!!
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:39 PM   #9
Mike Vaughan
Jagermeister

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by sito
The way I look at it is your health insurance is your insurance on OHV areas.

What's 10/15/50K going to cover when someone takes a rhino into you?

~Mike
Mike Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:29 AM   #10
focallength OP
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad
The problem with that is 1) Radios 2) Helicopters 3) Law enforcement officers on motorcycles that know every inch of the area they are patrolling and are paid $ to ride all day and most (not all) are extremely good at it (a lot of them race too)

http://www.firepolicemx.com/

Good luck though!
Too true, and they know where you parked. We used to get people who would run from us when they did bad stuff and we would call for a LEO and just wait in the staging area. You got to come back to the truck eventually.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #11
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:

~Mike
No such thing as 10/15/50. 15/30/5 is the lowest legal insurance limits in Cali. Other than a stand alone property policy, the property limit can never surpass the liability limit and the aggregate limit is always twice the per person limit.

Furthermore, many but not all health insurance policies exempt "dangerous activities". Although I've never had a claim declined that resulted from a motorcycle accident.

Most importantly, the idea behind insurance is for the guilty part to make the suffering party whole. Not for the suffering party to have to make themselves whole. Why should the guilty party be any less responsible for paying damages just because you're off-road. The way I see it, if anyone is going to indulge in a hazardous sport and put others in danger around them, then they should be responsible at least to the same limits as riding on-road. Maybe more so since the sport of M/c riding is inherently dangerous as it is.

To think that your health insurance limits will increase because you had to bang your own policy to pay for someone else's inability to indemnify those around them is down right stupid!
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:28 PM   #12
mikerd400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
Quote:

~Mike
Liability insurance isn't for you. It's for the other person when you crash into them, or vice versa, if its their fault and they crash into you.
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1977 Yamaha RD400
1976 Yamaha RD400
Proud to be Riff Raff 2011!

Riff Raff 07, 08, 09, and 10!
mikerd400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:45 PM   #13
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,232
why are stickers issued if ins. is req.????car tags are not issued untill proof is shown and revoked if ins. is cancelled,why is OHV any diff.?never been asked to produce proof ,and camp in very populated area in said problem zone???Rob, you have a new project
Old 12-13-2009, 04:34 PM   #14
cribaby
Dirt/Street? No Wait Dirt

Oddometer: 568
My take on this is that there are no traffic lights - very few stop signs and you can ride in OHV area anywhere you feel like it so - therefore who really caused the accident. It's seems it would be very hard to put blame unless it is blantantly obvious.

Example - 2 rider have a head on riding a single track - who hit who????
OHV area have no speed limits unless posted near camping or people. Rules say riding at a save speed and in control - What's save for you may not be save and in control for me.

I have been stop for other bogus reason but never asked for proof of insurance. I have speed pass cops and rangers and have never been chased for speeding - That's why it's an open area so you can ride that way.

I not saying that there isn't a law about insurance - but said insurance is near worthless as any good lawyer could poke holes in most claims.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:38 PM   #15
BMWs2Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by focallength
I thought I would post this in case some people dont know. In CA. you need to have Insurance for any vehicle including but not limited to green/red sticker bikes, quads, dune buggies etc... Obviously this isnt enforced in all areas. But in some of the more popular areas (Glamis) it is enforced regularly. Below is a exerpt from another site. So just be aware, a common tatcic is to stop you for some minor violation and then hand you a nice $450 no insurance ticket.

CVC 16020(a) Every driver and every owner of a motor vehicle shall at all times be able to establish financial responsibility pursuant to
Section 16021, and shall at all times carry in the vehicle evidence
of the form of financial responsibility in effect for the vehicle.
This sure comes as a surprise to me. I have been riding dirt bikes for 30 years in California, and have never heard about this. Why is this info not posted at OHV riding area's or given with the green sticker renewal notices?
BMWs2Dave is offline   Reply With Quote