Old 09-04-2010, 07:19 AM   #1
Northyork OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Toronto-Winnipeg-Toronto on a DR650

August/September 2010.......... 15 days......... 5300Km on the odometer

The Route

Day 1 -430Km-
Left Toronto, by the time I made it to Barrie (50 minutes north) it started to rain hard. Stopped at a gas station had a coffee and waited for the thunderstorm to move. It drizzled, occasionally, all the way to Marten River Provincial Park. I got a really nice site by the lake.

Northyork screwed with this post 09-19-2010 at 07:27 AM
Northyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:34 AM   #2
Northyork OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day2. Marten River Prov Park to Kettle Lakes Prov Park

Day 2 -280Km-
Woke up early, everything was wet by heavy fog/dew. A Hare and a wood picker came by to visit. It was partly cloudy. I had a nice ride all the way into Kettle Lakes Provincial Park

Old 09-04-2010, 07:55 AM   #3
Indochine
'Bikes are OK, but . . .

Oddometer: 356
Nice pix, NY. I was thinking of one in particular, looking across the surface of a lake toward some lakeshore homes through the mist. Looking forward to your northern tale.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:00 AM   #4
Northyork OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 3 and 4 Kettle Lakes Prov. Park

Day 3 –
It rained all night. Sleeping pad kept on losing air. I woke up a few times during the night to blow some air into it. In the morning I drove into Timmins, under heavy drizzle, Canadian Tire to exchange the sleeping pad. I bought a couple of locks for the pelican cases. I also went into Mark’s works warehouse, picked up a silicon spray to waterproof boots and a pair of gaiters. I stopped at Tim Hortons to get some lunch and a coffee. A while later a guy on a KLR showed up, he turned out to be from Montreal, was heading back home back from Wawa. I drove back to Kettle Lakes prov park where I spent the night. *****Day 4 ***
Sleeping pad was good, had a good night sleep. Woke up to a wet 15C morning, with a constant mist and extremely cloudy. It is lunch time and it looks like the weather is going to get better. I am going to spend one more night at the park and in the morning I will head into Fushimi Lake Prov. Park. I am flirting with the idea of making it all the way to Pakwash Provincial Park. From what I can see, it is the Provincial Park located farthest to the north that is accessible by road.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:22 AM   #5
Northyork OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 5 and 6. Kettle Lakes Prov. Park to MacLeod Prov. Park

Day5 -520Km-
Nice Day, the sun helped dry everything out. Packed up and headed for Macleod Provincial Park. I stopped in Timmins for groceries, sunglasses and Tim Hortons for coffee and a bagel. The road from Hearst to Geraldton is deserted. No towns, no gas stations for a stretch of around 220km. On either side of the road all you can see is what seems to be army of pines/cedars standing upright guarding the road. Made it into the park. I had noticed the bike was backfiring more than the usual pop, it was noisier and the Vector was telling me that the bike was running hotter. Once in the park I gave it a good inspection, the exhaust header was vibrating a bit, I figured the bolts have become loose. Checked in and made it to my campsite, great site. Immediately took the tools out and very quickly found out that the bolts were not loosed. Then I started to fear for the worst, a cracked header. I removed the flange and there it was; a hair line crack all the way around the header pipe. Put everything back together and drove to the park’s gate and asked if they knew where I could find someone with a welder. The young lady at the desk was very helpful, looked up a few places on the phone book. She allowed me to use he office’s phone; it was around 18:00, everything in town was close, nobody was answering the phone.
Went back to my site, set the tent up, made some dinner, took pictures of the moon, the night was clear then it got cloudy. *** Day 6
I woke up at 7:30. By 8:15 I was on my way to the town of Geraldton (around 5Km from the park). I stopped at the Husky gas station located right at the corner of Hwy 11 and 584; there were a couple of cops fueling, I asked them if they knew of a place to get the exhaust welded , they directed me to Angelo’s garage, 2 minutes away on 584. I got there, asked if they could weld the pipe header and they said they would give it a try. I removed the header pipe and 15 minutes later it was welded. After he gave it back I noticed a small pin hole, a bit more welding fixed it up. $40. I assembled it , turned the bike on and it sounded like it should. It seems to be fine; hopefully it will last. It is cloudy and spitting. The forecast calls for rain today and tomorrow. Right now I am having some tea and trying to decide if I should drive to Pakwash provincial park, 748km or make a stop somewhere in between.

Northyork screwed with this post 09-04-2010 at 08:31 AM
Old 09-04-2010, 08:45 AM   #6
Northyork OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 7 -621Km- MacLeod Prov. Park to Aaron Prov. Park

Day 7 -621Km-
Woke up at 7, it was sunny with a few clouds. Started to pack, placed the tent under the sun to speed up the drying process. It was very windy. Soon after I could see black clouds approaching, rain was coming my way. All of a sudden a beautiful fat rainbow was formed over the lake. Fine drizzle got all my stuff wet. Packed everything, had oats and tea. By 10 I was on my way to Pakwash Provincial Park. As I was ready to leave a fellow pickup truck stopped and a fellow introduced himself and we started to talk, he is a local and works at the park. I soon found out that he likes motorcycles and has had quite a few. I told him about my troubles with the exhaust and that it was fixed at Angelo’s garage. He asked me if I had met Nola, a red hair lady who runs the bookings and billing at Angelos; she used to be blond. He believes she turned red in search of more excitement. She used to be his girlfriend. It doesn’t take long to get to know people and their stories in a small town.
During the first 2 ½ hours of the ride there was a constant drizzle and it was cold. I did stop a couple of times to add my jacket liner and later my balaclava. Heated grips are great; my hands would have been frozen otherwise. Around Lake Nipigon the landscape changed, it turned hilly, rockier and pretty spectacular. The road is sandwiched by the lake on one side and the tall rock formations on the other. By the time I made it to Thunder Bay it had stopped raining and it was partly cloudy. I got some fuel for my stove at Canadian Tire. I stopped at the supermarket for groceries, McDonald’s for a hamburger and Tim Horton’s for coffee. I rode 17 all the way into Dryden, stopped at Tim Horton’s for food and coffee, it was around 21:00, or really 20:00 because at some point I had crossed into the Central time slot. It was late, I was tired and decided to backtrack 15Km to spend the night at Aaron Provincial Park.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #7
Northyork OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 8. Aaron Prov. Park

Day 8 –
As I woke up this morning, from my tent, I could see the sun rising. My camera was still on the tripod from the moon shooting I had done last night. While still on my sleeping bag I placed the camera just outside the tent door and started to take shots of sunrise. I was still tired and soon after continued to sleeping for a few more hours. The sky is blue; I could probably count the number of clouds on a single hand. It is the driest it has been since the start of the trip. The only downside to this park is that it is very close to the highway and the cars and trucks can be heard as they drive by. Somewhere, really close, as a train went by it blew its horn……loud, very loud. I decided to stay one more night here. Will do my laundry, take a shower and drive into Dryden to see what is there. Dryden is a small town with a population of 8500, big pulp plant right in the middle of town.

Sunrise

Sunset

Moonrise

Northyork screwed with this post 09-04-2010 at 09:41 AM
Old 09-04-2010, 09:39 AM   #8
Northyork OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Need a brake, more pics later
Old 09-05-2010, 07:17 PM   #9
Northyork OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 9 -180Km-
I woke up to a beautiful day. My sleeping pad became deflated once again. I took a shower, hanged up everything under the sun to dry out and then headed into the local Canadian Tire in Dryden to once again exchange my sleeping pad (Broadstone). I returned to the campsite, packed and headed for Pakwash Provincial Park. Around 40km out of Dryden I noticed two KLRs, on the opposite direction, parked on the road shoulder. I turned around and offer my help. The seat was off the bike, manual was opened; soon after I arrive they realized the main fuse had blown probably by a short caused by the heated grips wiring. They had been there for an hour. The fellows were really happy and thankful for me stopping. They were coming back from British Columbia going back home after a cross country trip.
105, the road to Pakwash, makes you feel like you are really in the wilderness, not much traffic, true northern Ontario scenery. I got to see deer and bald eagles. I got an amazing site right by the water. I keep on thinking that I will not be able to best the last place and nature keeps proving me wrong. Met a few locals at the park, they had a season pass. They invited me over after dinner for a few beers around a glowing campfire. I told them I was hoping to see wildlife and the northern lights. They told me moose are always hanging around the road at night. We jumped into one of the guys’ truck, after a couple of minutes on the main road we spotted a cow (female moose)

Road Kill

Bald eagles waiting for me to move on so they could keep on feeding
Old 09-05-2010, 07:21 PM   #10
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,305
You took the scenic route.. thanks for sharing it

Old 09-05-2010, 07:46 PM   #11
D-Fuzz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Thanks for the RR, Northyork. I have been wanting to do that stretch of road for awhile. Now I have an idea what I will see when I do it. Good to hear there are lots of Timmy's along the way too.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:06 PM   #12
Northyork OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 10. Pakwash Prov. Park, Red Lake and area

Day 10. 150Km
It is colder and cloudy. The plan for the day is to ride around the area, go to Red Lake. From what I found out last night Red Lake has one of the most profitable Gold mines in the world. Were the locals exaggerating? (Later search on wikipedia prove them right.)

Algae washed on shore

Northyork screwed with this post 09-06-2010 at 03:06 PM
Old 09-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #13
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,004
Small world. I was riding to Winnipeg in the passenger seat of the wifes
car, and saw three blue bikes, one with the seat off, on the left side of the road.

Debated about stopping, but didn't have any tools with me.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #14
Northyork OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It is a small world indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR_Ron
Small world. I was riding to Winnipeg in the passenger seat of the wifes
car, and saw three blue bikes, one with the seat off, on the left side of the road.

Debated about stopping, but didn't have any tools with me.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:18 PM   #15
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote