User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2004, 06:27 AM   #1
04KLR-0311 OP
ProGun

Oddometer: 22
KLR650 Start Voltage

Can anyone out there in KLR land tell me: What is the minimum battery voltage you can have and the bike will still start? This is a two part ?? I guess - 1. what voltage will the bike starter crank the bike? 2. what min voltage will the electronic ignition still fire the plug? I'm in the process of adding extra eletrical draw to the bike and I know the battery/charger on the bike is bare bones. I may have to upgrade the stator/rectifier??? cheapest place to get the Electrex stator??
06 KLR650 + 2014 K1600GTL
kdsipi@yahoo.com
04KLR-0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 08:40 AM   #2
dehager
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04KLR-0311
I may have to upgrade the stator/rectifier??? cheapest place to get the Electrex stator??
If you have enough to turn the starter and engine over it will start, it also bump starts very well. As for replacing the stator and regulator you are waisting your time and money. There is no extra charging to be gotten out of this bike. As far as additional loads you better put a volt meter on the bike as your first accessory to monitor the loads. I can run EITHER my vest or my heated grips when running through town, if I am out on the highway I can run both. Choose your accessories wisely, the KLR from an electrical standpoint was not ment to be accessorized.

It is a basic, very reliable bike that will go anywhere, nothing more.

95 R1100RSL
http://users.rcn.com/dehager/
dehager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 09:51 AM   #3
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,757
Quote:
Can anyone out there in KLR land tell me: What is the minimum battery voltage you can have and the bike will still start? What voltage will the bike starter crank the bike?
You mean "start" or "run".

Battery voltage alone doesn't necessarily mean it will start (crank over) the engine. If a battery has no capacity and/or has high internal resistance, it will probably not start even if the open circuit battery voltage measures 12.6V (or thereabouts).

Quote:
What min voltage will the electronic ignition still fire the plug?
Well a dead battery sits at about 10.5 volts. From what I remember reading, electonic ignitions (and they vary) cut out at about 9.5 volts.

Do a load analysis and see if your charging system can handle it. If not, then move up to a higher output setup. I think the KLR puts out 170 W (that varies depending on the model year). With everything hooked up, you should read a battery voltage in the high 12s as an absolute minimum. That at 2500 rpm and up.

Euro & North American Travel & Technical Stuff for the R1150 GS & Adventure

Euro & Alps Motorcycle Tours - Priced Right, How to go about

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.....A. Einstein
Global Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 02:41 PM   #4
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,331
Quote:
Can anyone out there in KLR land tell me: What is the minimum battery voltage you can have and the bike will still start? This is a two part ?? I guess - 1. what voltage will the bike starter crank the bike? 2. what min voltage will the electronic ignition still fire the plug? I'm in the process of adding extra eletrical draw to the bike and I know the battery/charger on the bike is bare bones. I may have to upgrade the stator/rectifier??? cheapest place to get the Electrex stator??

The KLR has a magneto Fired ignition system.. Meaning that: it doesn't use the 12 volt battery, or the 12 volt charging side of the stator to Fire the spark plug. This bike would run all day long with the voltage regulator and the battery removed.

IE: The batter is only for making the starter work, and keeping the lights and stuff lit. The ignition is independent of the battery and it's charge.

All you need to worry about when loading up the charging system, is does it keep the battery charged enough to make the starter turn after riding 6 hours with the high beam on and all that crap drawing power... If the starter still turns the motor over, then you are in the green..
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 08:28 PM   #5
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
The KLR has a magneto Fired ignition system.. Meaning that: it doesn't use the 12 volt battery, or the 12 volt charging side of the stator to Fire the spark plug. This bike would run all day long with the voltage regulator and the battery removed.
Considering I own one, I should have remembered this. Too bad more bikes aren't designed like that.

Euro & North American Travel & Technical Stuff for the R1150 GS & Adventure

Euro & Alps Motorcycle Tours - Priced Right, How to go about

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.....A. Einstein
Global Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 08:21 PM   #6
LaNgLy
suck squeeze bang blow

Oddometer: 238
You would be much better off wiring in a light cut out switch saving watts and monitoring battery voltage. For the cost of the Electrex stator you get very few additional watts. Best to conserve the 200 sum watts the KLR produces using switchs and LED lamps. I usually shut the lights off in low speed or off road situations.

The Datel voltmeter can be found here: ~$40
http://www.digitalmeter.com

Dual Star sells the LED tail light ~$60 ?

Cycle Analyst sells a slick three position switch to cut headlight, signals and dashlights. ~$70 http://www.cycle-analyst.com/KLR.html

I have one of the CA switchs and it is slick.

Hope this helps,
No commercial affiliations, although I have purchased several items from CA and really like doing buisness with Ray Pope.
Jim
LaNgLy is offline   Reply With Quote