User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,127
DL650/1000 off road mods.

First off,, I'm not trying to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. In other words, I'm not trying to mod the DL into a KTM. What I am trying to investigate is what mods would really help either of these dikes get along better in the rough stuff. Specifically looking at shock and fork internals upgrades. Maybe a quitesh pipe if it really lowers weight enough to notice.

I have a DL650 right now and I'm waffling on keeping it or trading it off for another Adventure Touring bike. I really like the power of the DL1000 and honestly I really like the KTM 950-990s. If I can mod either of the DLs into better off road mounts {no, not the equal to the KTM} I might consider keeping the DL650 or saving some money and getting a DL1000 over the KTM. Anyone have opinions and experience with modding the DLs for off road. Rough prices for mods and specific brand names appreciated.

I know for a fact the DL650 doesn't have enough ground clearance {been stuck/high sided on the engine guard a couple times already} and I have an extra set of DR650 forks I'm been thinking about swapping the fork tubes into the DL650's forks to gain a couple inches of height. If anyone has done that, please chime in with what rate springs you ended up with and if you liked it. If I jack up the front, I will need to jack up the rear,, what shock company will allow me to option a longer shock?
Blue Skies Coming

Jud screwed with this post 11-11-2009 at 10:56 AM
Jud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
spokes81
enjoy your spagehtti

Oddometer: 169
Moto-Tech skidplate - $230.00
Suzuki Crashgaurds - $180.00
14 tooth front sprocket - $18.00
Renthal High ATV Bars - $120.00
Moose Racing Lever Gaurds - $80.00
Contenental TKC80's - $330.00

Some of these prices are as old as 8 months so they may not be current (also they are Canadian). I've taken my wee places wee's have no business going and have had great luck with the stock suspension so far. 13'000 KM'S so far and I wouldn't trade it for any other bike in it's class.......well, maybe we'll have to see about the new 2010 Super Tenere !

"As bad as that went, it couldn't have gone any better for that particular situation!" - Travis Pastrana

spokes81 screwed with this post 11-11-2009 at 11:05 AM
spokes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,680
keep the wee as is and invest the $ in a used thumper DS if you want to ride the rough stuff.
even big ktm adv are harder to ride in the stuff meant for lighter bikes. no one bike can do it all period.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:45 PM   #4
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud
...I know for a fact the DL650 doesn't have enough ground clearance {been stuck/high sided on the engine guard a couple times already} and I have an extra set of DR650 forks I'm been thinking about swapping the fork tubes into the DL650's forks to gain a couple inches of height. If anyone has done that, please chime in with what rate springs you ended up with and if you liked it. If I jack up the front, I will need to jack up the rear,, what shock company will allow me to option a longer shock?
You could swap out your linkage dogbones for shorter ones to raise the rear. I have a set, it gave me an extra inch+ under the motor.. beware the aluminum ones, I have heard/seen bad things.

of course if money for the shock is no problem.. that's the way to go.

In front my forks caps are down flush with top of the trimple clamp yokes which maxes front height but not as much as the rear with shorter links. resulted in quicker steering but still stable on the highway. I like it.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis
You could swap out your linkage dogbones for shorter ones to raise the rear. I have a set, it gave me an extra inch+ under the motor.. beware the aluminum ones, I have heard/seen bad things.

of course if money for the shock is no problem.. that's the way to go.

In front my forks caps are down flush with top of the trimple clamp yokes which maxes front height but not as much as the rear with shorter links. resulted in quicker steering but still stable on the highway. I like it.
you're still dumping $ into the wrong bike for the job.
Butler Maps website:
Old 11-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #6
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
why is it the wrong type of bike since he likes it so much?
He has a dream, a wee strom with 20cm of suspension travel.
Why is the GS boxer line so much better?

mousitsas screwed with this post 11-11-2009 at 03:28 PM
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:25 PM   #7
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,221
Quote:
I don't think the shorter dog bones are money wasted, whether you're going off road or not. I rarely ride much beyond gravel/graded dirt, but I like what the dog bones have done to my street handling.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:32 PM   #8
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas
why is it the wrong type of bike since he likes it so much?
He has a dream, a wee strom with 20cm of suspension travel.
Why is the GS boxer line so much better?
???

-i said to keep the wee.
-he said he wants to get in the rough stuff. with protection wee is fine for smoother dirt roads. i'm not arguing against that.
-going to the point of buying custom raised shocks, etc$ for a bike not designed for the rough stuff is like a dog chasing it's tail
-i never mentioned the gs at all dude??? i mention the ktm as it has the most most adavanced suspension in a beast. it still is too much bike for thumper terrain.
-i said to buy a DS thumper as it's the correct bike for the rough stuff, period!
Butler Maps website:
Old 11-11-2009, 03:34 PM   #9
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni
I don't think the shorter dog bones are money wasted, whether you're going off road or not. I rarely ride much beyond gravel/graded dirt, but I like what the dog bones have done to my street handling.
i way cool to that if it's needed. i spend mod $ on my wee.
i just wonder why some strom owners don't see the bike for what it is, a light dirt street bike. it's not a dirtbike and never will be no matter how much you spend $ on it. i say the same thing for a gs or any other beast, even the 800gs.

like i said there is NO 1 bike that can do it all. never has been, never will be.
don't be a dumbass and try to make it. buy another bike for the job!
Butler Maps website:
Old 11-11-2009, 03:51 PM   #10
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,681
Quote:
???

-i said to keep the wee.
-he said he wants to get in the rough stuff. with protection wee is fine for smoother dirt roads. i'm not arguing against that.
-going to the point of buying custom raised shocks, etc$ for a bike not designed for the rough stuff is like a dog chasing it's tail
-i never mentioned the gs at all dude??? i mention the ktm as it has the most most adavanced suspension in a beast. it still is too much bike for thumper terrain.
-i said to buy a DS thumper as it's the correct bike for the rough stuff, period!

Where did i say that you did say about the GS? It was brought in the conversation as example of a lardy beast which does surprisingly well in places its shape and size wouldnt suggest.
The wee is lighter and in my opinion if fitted with good quality longer travel suspension it could kick butt as a large adventure bike.
People with skilfull hands can do these mods quie cheaply. The reason it is not sold that way is because fewer people would buy it, but if you have it and want to augment it in an area or another, there is nothing wrong, if done within reason.

Also, the dual bike argument, does not always apply since some enjoy a do-it-all (within personal envelop) bike.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:08 PM   #11
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
keep the wee as is and invest the $ in a used thumper DS if you want to ride the rough stuff.
even big ktm adv are harder to ride in the stuff meant for lighter bikes. no one bike can do it all period.
I currently have a DR650 that I play in the really rough stuff. I want a bike I can ride up to Alaska or down to Baja comfortably and expediently {one reason I sorta want a DL1K or a KTM Adv.} then be able to run crappy dirt roads or peel off through the desert a ways to camp. No single track, no MotoX tracks,,, just not perfectly groomed dirt roads.
Blue Skies Coming
Old 11-11-2009, 04:25 PM   #12
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
i way cool to that if it's needed. i spend mod $ on my wee.
i just wonder why some strom owners don't see the bike for what it is, a light dirt street bike. it's not a dirtbike and never will be no matter how much you spend $ on it. i say the same thing for a gs or any other beast, even the 800gs.

like i said there is NO 1 bike that can do it all. never has been, never will be.
don't be a dumbass and try to make it. buy another bike for the job!
I know,,, that's why I have something like 8 bikes right now. My FJR is great for 90% of a trip to Alaska or Baja but that remaining 10% sucks bad {I know,,, I've done it}. My DR650 is great for that remaining 10% but running for hours down that 90% of good roads sucks. I know,,, I've done it. I can't exactly turn the FJR into the DR650 at a drop of the hat and I'm not going to drive a truck up to Alaska or down to Baja just so I can pull out my DR650 once I get there.

Once again,,,, I'm not trying to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse, I am not trying to tun the DL into a KTM Adventure. Just trying to see if I can substantially help out the DL650 or 1K's dirt capabilities. Surely to god there might be an area somewhere in between the capabilities of the KTM and the DL that can be helped with some judicious use of the aftermarket.

I mean,,, is a person a dumbass for buying and mounting panniers, top box, better seat or different windshield to a DL650 so it will tour better and more comfortably? I mean,,, it didn't come with that stuff and it would take an idiot to think they could ever mod a DL650 enough to compete with a Goldwing right? Right,,, so they shouldn't be a dumbass and try it right. Just leave it bone stock,,,, that's the ticket. If you want to ride for hours comfortably, by a Wing dammit. If you want to run rough dirt roads buy a DR650 at a minimum. Nothing in the middle,,, nothing that could ride comfortably for day just to get to those rough dirt roads and then peel off down em and spend day there.

Just make sure your touring involves no rough dirt roads and make sure your rough dirt roads require no touring to get to em right?
Blue Skies Coming
Old 11-11-2009, 05:01 PM   #13
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,511
Quote:
They were pretty cheap so not exactly "dumping money" but I know what you mean and agree.. it's not a great offroad bike, it's not going to be a great off road bike and anybody who thinks otherwise doesn't know what riding a real dual sport is like.

I bought the links for sport touring ground clearance anyway..

shorter dogbones .. $30.
going around curves fast without dragging stuff.. priceless

ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:29 PM   #14
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,897
My hats off to you guys for even thinking about taking a strom off road.
I have one here and would not even dream of taking it where I would easily face with my big KT.

Gravel, packed dirt, freeway, 2 lane, no problem plus great load carrying capicity.

The KTM has the edge off road but, looses it on the long haul freeway riding.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:29 PM   #15
Tony T
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,411
Tony T is offline   Reply With Quote