Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #16
spokes81
enjoy your spagehtti

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T
who's bike is this? It's like the poster child for the "V-Strom's kick serious ass!" movement.

I love it, it inspires me to do great things...

"As bad as that went, it couldn't have gone any better for that particular situation!" - Travis Pastrana
spokes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:01 PM   #17
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,836

Don't know if you guys are trying to turn this into dick swinging contest but if youre looking for more photos like this, I have plenty.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:54 PM   #18
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker

Don't know if you guys are trying to turn this into dick swinging contest but if youre looking for more photos like this, I have plenty.

I do too-

Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:03 PM   #19
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T
Have you jacked that bike up? It looks like it has more ground clearence than mine? Maybe it's just the taller profile knobbies but for some reason it do look taller.

Maybe it's your skidplate tucking up closer than my skidplate???
Blue Skies Coming
Old 11-11-2009, 11:07 PM   #20
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis
You could swap out your linkage dogbones for shorter ones to raise the rear. I have a set, it gave me an extra inch+ under the motor.. beware the aluminum ones, I have heard/seen bad things.
Link(s)? I've seen one report of failed aluminium dogbones, but there seemed to be extenuating circumstances. Aside from that, I've never heard of a failure, but if they're not up to task, I'd like to read about it.

I'm running 1/2" raising links. I think I'd like to get 1". The extra ground clearance was noticeable.

To the OP, it's my opinion that aside from rider skill, tires make the biggest difference.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:35 AM   #21
Tony T
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud
Have you jacked that bike up? It looks like it has more ground clearence than mine? Maybe it's just the taller profile knobbies but for some reason it do look taller.

Maybe it's your skidplate tucking up closer than my skidplate???
Sorry fellas. I should have given more info.
The bike was at stock height in that photo and I guess the combination of the tyres and the bash plate made it look higher. I've now added 1" raising links.
Other than that, it's pretty close to stock except for Staintune exhaust, Touratech pegs, bash plate and oil cooler relocation kit, Barkbusters bars and handguards.
Here's one more 'dick swinging' shot for you.

I agree with Jamie in that tyres make the biggest difference to it's handling off road. Especially in sand.
Tony T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:30 AM   #22
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud
Once again,,,, I'm not trying to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse, I am not trying to tun the DL into a KTM Adventure. Just trying to see if I can substantially help out the DL650 or 1K's dirt capabilities. Surely to god there might be an area somewhere in between the capabilities of the KTM and the DL that can be helped with some judicious use of the aftermarket.
Sounds to me that you have pretty realistic expectations and some little changes can make a big difference.

My Strom is mostly street (that's what I bought it for) but I still can't resist the urge to hit fire trails while in the mountains. Generally when my strom is in dirt it's to get somewhere or see something, as opposed to a thumper or 800GS where I feel different levels of aggressiveness that make for a different type of ride altogether. The suggestion of tires will make a huge difference in anything loose, wet or sandy (Pilot Roads in snow are a bad idea ) But even on dry fire roads the first thing that makes me turn around is ground clearance as it does high center pretty easy when the ruts and rocks start. I've considered raising the rear as I think a little could go a long way in that regard. I have no intentions of turning it into a rally bike either, and I have no intentions of riding it any different, there will just be less times I turn around.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:32 AM   #23
spokes81
enjoy your spagehtti

Oddometer: 169
I would never participate in a dick swinging contest...

"As bad as that went, it couldn't have gone any better for that particular situation!" - Travis Pastrana
spokes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:01 AM   #24
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z
Link(s)? I've seen one report of failed aluminium dogbones, but there seemed to be extenuating circumstances. Aside from that, I've never heard of a failure, but if they're not up to task, I'd like to read about it.

I'm running 1/2" raising links. I think I'd like to get 1". The extra ground clearance was noticeable.

To the OP, it's my opinion that aside from rider skill, tires make the biggest difference.

Jamie
about a year or so ago EagleMike here on ADV was explaining the strength differences between mild steel and the usual 6061 aluminum links and made it sound somewhat risky using material spec sheet data to support.. Shortly afterwards, maybe same thread, there were pictures of failed aluminum links and that was enough for me.

We're probably talking about that same incident, but it only takes one failure report to do it for me. I don't think the circumstance were that extenuating.. How many stock dogbone failures have you heard of?

fwiw, my dogbones gave me about 1.25" raise. All in all I like them, ground clearance is no problem now, but I do have some sidestand and centerstand issues.

edit:
here's page 3 of that aluminum link thread with the failure pics:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=164166&page=3
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:25 PM   #25
i_4ce
wants a WeeStrom

Oddometer: 223
So what does the raising links do to rear suspension travel? Does is stay the same or does it increase it? Does it add extra stress or strain to the shock?

Is there a source for steel rear raising links?

Wouldn't it be fairly easy to make yourself some out of some steel bar from Home Depot? What would be the length need for 1" raising links?
Old 11-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #26
mrxinpa
Just Get Out and Ride !!!

Oddometer: 1,417
I think ALOT of you are missing the point here. In Jud's original posts he's looking for MODs. Not everyones personal opinions as to whether the Strom is a Dual Sport Bike or NOT. Some of you think its NOT . I personally would beg to differ. I ride my 1K in places some wont take their DR or XR for that matter.

Mods you really need to look at.
Front Suspension. Upgrade Fork Springs and Valves to appropriate rider weight ratio.
Rear Suspension. There's a few things you can do here. Wilbers and others makes a shock that will fit the bike and fit whatever your specs as a rider you want. Weight , SAG, etc. They can also supply it with any added length you desire.

Pegs: The stock pegs are very slippery for off-road use. Change them out.

Bash Plate: You have to have something here period. Various vendors make your choise based on what works best for your type of riding.

Crash Bars: You got to have something here take your pick.

Handle Bars: Change them out to Fat Bars with Risers. Also get something where you can mount Bark Busters on.

Sprockets: Stock is 17/41 if your riding off-road your gonna need to go to a minimum of 16/43. I'm running at 15/43 and liking it a LOT.

Turn Signals: Riding the Strom Off-Road Eats turn signal. Lots of Aftermarket to choose from.

Tires: Conti TKC80's or Metzler Karoo's are both good tires.

Exhaust: There's a couple here to choose from. They will all help to shead a few unwanted pounds.

Front Fender: You can make mods to your existing with a small die grinder or go buy one from Touratech. I find that when in Heavy MUD the fender jam packs itself here and needs some relief. I can post some pics of the mods I;ve made to mine and it works really well..

IMHO: thats about all you'll need to do to a Strom to make it fully Off-Road Capable of going anywhere a KTM or GS will go.

Jeff
mrxinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #27
Dancamp

Oddometer: n/a
I use mine on the type of road that you specified. I upgraded the springs in the fork. I made so shims and changed the oil weight. The rear shock will be changed.

Beside a bash plate, crashbar and handguards there isn't much needed. The most important point is to correctly adjust the sag and off you go. I ride with GSs and KTMs on this kind of roads and there isn't much difference between the bikes. It changes when we get to single tracks, then it's not the good tool at all.

A graded road is more a challenge to the driver than to the motorcycle specially when the surface is loose. TKC are better to keep the front planted.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #28
svs
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 22,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis
You could swap out your linkage dogbones for shorter ones to raise the rear. I have a set, it gave me an extra inch+ under the motor.. beware the aluminum ones, I have heard/seen bad things.
Mine are aluminum...I've run them for 20 plus thousand miles. I always keep an eye on them...Inspect them regularly. No signs of fatigue or elongation of the bolt holes.

What failures are you aware of with the Aluminum?
Old 11-12-2009, 03:17 PM   #29
svs
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 22,761
It's a big ass Pig of a Bike...Guess what it benefits from the MOST (besides knobbies) if you take into the non-paved road enviroment?

Don't leave home without it.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #30
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxinpa
I think ALOT of you are missing the point here. In Jud's original posts he's looking for MODs. Not everyones personal opinions as to whether the Strom is a Dual Sport Bike or NOT. Some of you think its NOT . I personally would beg to differ. I ride my 1K in places some wont take their DR or XR for that matter.

Mods you really need to look at.
Front Suspension. Upgrade Fork Springs and Valves to appropriate rider weight ratio.
Rear Suspension. There's a few things you can do here. Wilbers and others makes a shock that will fit the bike and fit whatever your specs as a rider you want. Weight , SAG, etc. They can also supply it with any added length you desire.

Pegs: The stock pegs are very slippery for off-road use. Change them out.

Bash Plate: You have to have something here period. Various vendors make your choise based on what works best for your type of riding.

Crash Bars: You got to have something here take your pick.

Handle Bars: Change them out to Fat Bars with Risers. Also get something where you can mount Bark Busters on.

Sprockets: Stock is 17/41 if your riding off-road your gonna need to go to a minimum of 16/43. I'm running at 15/43 and liking it a LOT.

Turn Signals: Riding the Strom Off-Road Eats turn signal. Lots of Aftermarket to choose from.

Tires: Conti TKC80's or Metzler Karoo's are both good tires.

Exhaust: There's a couple here to choose from. They will all help to shead a few unwanted pounds.

Front Fender: You can make mods to your existing with a small die grinder or go buy one from Touratech. I find that when in Heavy MUD the fender jam packs itself here and needs some relief. I can post some pics of the mods I;ve made to mine and it works really well..

IMHO: thats about all you'll need to do to a Strom to make it fully Off-Road Capable of going anywhere a KTM or GS will go.

Jeff
Good post.
Blue Skies Coming