Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2009, 04:27 PM   #31
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by svs
It's a big ass Pig of a Bike...Guess what it benefits from the MOST (besides knobbies) if you take into the non-paved road enviroment?

Don't leave home without it.
Ooooffff,,, terribly pricey stuff there. Does the DL650 or DL1K really need a damper? Steering feels fairly laid back to me during trips up to 100mph or so and I know damn well the DL650 isn't shaking it's head during throttle on situations?

If it does need a damper in some situations,,, is there a damper other than the Scotts? Like I said,,, bit pricey for my taste.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:31 PM   #32
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by svs
Mine are aluminum...I've run them for 20 plus thousand miles. I always keep an eye on them...Inspect them regularly. No signs of fatigue or elongation of the bolt holes.

What failures are you aware of with the Aluminum?
check the link at my post above. Also on the following page of the same thread is a pictureless account of another failure on first use of an ebay set.

here's one of the pics from the above link, there's a shot of the bottom bolt hole too which appears fubar'd worse than this.

ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #33
mrxinpa
Just Get Out and Ride !!!

Oddometer: 1,547
Stearing Dampner will be my next mod. I've now riden a strom with and mine without one and that will be my next upgrade. Your rite Jud $500 is pricey for this mod thats why I;m giving it the winter to settle in. I can plan to put it on the bike in the spring so paying a little for it all winter won't be so painful...

After that its the search to convert my Solid Rims to Spoked. Then since its an 02 the fairing is coming off and all the extra weight. I'm trying to find a Ralley Replacement.

Jeff
mrxinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:09 PM   #34
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,964

I prefer the TouraTech skid plate and oil cooler relocation kit. I also prefer the Givi crash bars.

I have the shorter dog bones the lift the rear by an inch and have the front forks pushed flush in the triple clamps. (By the way, there are about three or more different aluminum alloy dog bones out there. I have the hardest I could find and they have been great for 23k miles....with some very, very hard riding.)
Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:11 PM   #35
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxinpa
Stearing Dampner will be my next mod. I've now riden a strom with and mine without one and that will be my next upgrade. Your rite Jud $500 is pricey for this mod thats why I;m giving it the winter to settle in. I can plan to put it on the bike in the spring so paying a little for it all winter won't be so painful...

After that its the search to convert my Solid Rims to Spoked. Then since its an 02 the fairing is coming off and all the extra weight. I'm trying to find a Ralley Replacement.

Jeff
What does it being a 02 have to do with getting rid of the fairing? Are they different, easier to go naked?
Blue Skies Coming
Old 11-12-2009, 10:13 PM   #36
glitch_oz

Oddometer: 1,708
Quote:
Then since its an 02 the fairing is coming off and all the extra weight. I'm trying to find a Ralley Replacement.

Jeff
Here's a K6/ 650

...and the 2 thou's at either end

www.AusTouring.com
A Dozen Years Of Adventures
glitch_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:49 PM   #37
mrxinpa

Jud:... Its not that 02 is in anyway different. It's just that It's an 02 and it has been rode and therfore aint new no more, if ya get my drift. See Pic below... I like to ride my Strom Off Road and I'd love to remove a lot of weight from the front of this bike. Seeing what Others have done has inspired me to create my own idea of a Ralley Style front end on the V. Something that is significantly lighter.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:06 AM   #38
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Jud:... Its not that 02 is in anyway different. It's just that It's an 02 and it has been rode and therfore aint new no more, if ya get my drift. See Pic below... I like to ride my Strom Off Road and I'd love to remove a lot of weight from the front of this bike. Seeing what Others have done has inspired me to create my own idea of a Ralley Style front end on the V. Something that is significantly lighter.

Gotcha,,, I'm a bit slow at times.
Blue Skies Coming
Old 11-13-2009, 12:29 PM   #39
svs
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 24,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis
check the link at my post above. Also on the following page of the same thread is a pictureless account of another failure on first use of an ebay set.

here's one of the pics from the above link, there's a shot of the bottom bolt hole too which appears fubar'd worse than this.
Yep, That's why I crawl under trhe bike and keep a close eye on them for signs of failure...so far so good... Steel is better...Where'd ya get yours?

Quote:
Ooooffff,,, terribly pricey stuff there. Does the DL650 or DL1K really need a damper? Steering feels fairly laid back to me during trips up to 100mph or so and I know damn well the DL650 isn't shaking it's head during throttle on situations?

If it does need a damper in some situations,,, is there a damper other than the Scotts? Like I said,,, bit pricey for my taste.
I have a KTM 525 and the Damper switches between the bike...Makes the price of owning it all the better.

Regarding price....? my thought is if it keeps you from crashing then it's worth every penny...and if you take a strom into the dirt you want your front wheel to not DEFLECT as you pound around.....

A needed item.
If a physical fact can produce a psychological state, a psychological state can produce a physical fact... The whole of creation is asleep within the deep of man and is awakened to objective existence by his subconscious assumptions.
svs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #40
DGR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I see the Ricor Intiminators haven't been mentioned yet.
Really improved the front suspension on my DL650. The famous "klunk" sound is gone and it's a lot smoother over sharp bumps.
DGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #41
badmanners
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Raising links

Regarding the raising links this vendor reccomends.... http://burkhartcycle.com/store/index...&products_id=2

Which is pretty convincing to me. Cost difference is negligible, what price your safety?

Cheers, badmanners.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:35 PM   #42
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by svs
Yep, That's why I crawl under trhe bike and keep a close eye on them for signs of failure...so far so good... Steel is better...Where'd ya get yours?

I have a KTM 525 and the Damper switches between the bike...Makes the price of owning it all the better.

Regarding price....? my thought is if it keeps you from crashing then it's worth every penny...and if you take a strom into the dirt you want your front wheel to not DEFLECT as you pound around.....

A needed item.

I bought the raising links I have from ebay. seller was "supermoto36" out of Canada. they were black powerdercoated steel. nothing fancy, but the tolerances on the bolt holes were tight and they seemed decently made for about $30 shipped I believe.

I have a GPR damper on my XR400.. wonder if I could get the extra hardware for the strom and switch between? That's a good idea, will look into that.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:23 PM   #43
mrxinpa

I dont care what Grade Aluminum you use the hole is going to get wallowed from all the hammering on it. Eventually its structural integrity will be compromised and your ass is going to hit the ground. Stay away from Aluminum Raising and Lowering Links Period. If it aint Steel dont Use them..

Disclaimer: Unless your pansy ass never takes the bike off road or uses it to anywhere near its capabilities.

Sincerely
Jeff
Mrxinpa..
Old 11-13-2009, 04:54 PM   #44
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud

If you get the suspension setup right, in my opinion no.

I'm not saying there aren't times where I wouldn't have appreciated a damper in the past - but with dialed in suspension my 650 just sits stable on gravel roads now and doesn't wander around.
With the stock suspension though it used to get scary at around 80kph on lightly rutted roads.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #45
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,335
Quote:
I dont care what Grade Aluminum you use the hole is going to get wallowed from all the hammering on it. Eventually its structural integrity will be compromised and your ass is going to hit the ground. Stay away from Aluminum Raising and Lowering Links Period. If it aint Steel dont Use them..

Disclaimer: Unless your pansy ass never takes the bike off road or uses it to anywhere near its capabilities.

Sincerely
Jeff
Mrxinpa..
When properly torqued, the hole of the link shouldn't be taking much if any of the loads.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote