User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2009, 02:18 PM   #1
pInniT OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
F800GS Fork conversion???

Does any1 know if there is some1 is making a set of replacement triple clamps for the F8 so i can swap my damaged forks for a set of ohlins/showa/kyb??? the cost of fixing the standard pogo sticks they have hanging off the front is probably as much if not more than a new set of forks.....
pInniT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by pInniT
Does any1 know if there is some1 is making a set of replacement triple clamps for the F8 so i can swap my damaged forks for a set of ohlins/showa/kyb??? the cost of fixing the standard pogo sticks they have hanging off the front is probably as much if not more than a new set of forks.....

Your best bet would be to get second hand WPs. I have a full front system off a 2001 LC4 in my garage so I could cross check measurements with you. What are the:

1) stem diameters at bearing positions
2) stem length
3) Fork height from top to wheel axle

for the F800GS?
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
pInniT OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas
Your best bet would be to get second hand WPs. I have a full front system off a 2001 LC4 in my garage so I could cross check measurements with you. What are the:

1) stem diameters at bearing positions
2) stem length
3) Fork height from top to wheel axle

for the F800GS?
The bike is not in the shed atm, so i cant get those measurements as yet! I think i should have a set of 2001 KTM 520 clamps i have had floating around for years from 1 of my old bikes, when i get the bike back i will check it out and let you know!!
pInniT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:04 PM   #4
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 10,012
excellent, been waiting to see someone put some decent forks on an 800
Old 11-11-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,681
Ralle Moto is in the design stages for a complete Billet Front end conversion for the F800. We do not have pricing yet but the idea is to have the set-up available for a range of different forks including Showa and Ohlins. They are also looking at Billet Hubs.

Steve

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #6
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,279
Call Gary Emig. He will make you a custom set. Just send him the stockers and he will make whatever you want and press in the stem.

http://www.emigracing.com/

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:18 PM   #7
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
If I can find a pair of WP dirt bike forks with the right upper tube diameter and close to the right length why could I not simply bolt the whole assembly in place including wheel and front rotor from the KTM? Is there something fundamentally stupid about this idea? If Woody laces the front wheel with heavy duty spoke it would certainly be stout enough for the added weight.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:56 PM   #8
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
If I can find a pair of WP dirt bike forks with the right upper tube diameter and close to the right length why could I not simply bolt the whole assembly in place including wheel and front rotor from the KTM? Is there something fundamentally stupid about this idea? If Woody laces the front wheel with heavy duty spoke it would certainly be stout enough for the added weight.
If you have an abs free bike, it should go fine.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:25 PM   #9
BillyD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Get whatever forks you want and my college pal, James Banke, will make you whatever triple clamps you need to mount them on the F8

http://www.bankeperformance.com/flat...pleclamps.html

Might even be able to fab you the bits and pieces so you could re-use the F8 calipers with the Woody wheel and disks...

KTM '08 690 RFR, '08 990Adv S (carbs), '07 640Adv, '03 540EXC, Ducati 851, Moto Guzzi 850 Lemans, Ercole & 2VT and Yamaha RD350.
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:01 PM   #10
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,474
Quote:
And you could drop a disc and have a high fender (think Twalcom bike). Or if you went with the adventure that had the twin 300 mm discs that may work better. I think they were USD 48's??
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:35 PM   #11
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
you could probably do this --BUT--then you would have a chopper with 12 or 13 inches of front travel!
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:07 AM   #12
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited
Call Gary Emig. He will make you a custom set. Just send him the stockers and he will make whatever you want and press in the stem.

http://www.emigracing.com/
+1 gary is the guy to see!
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:07 AM   #13
cisco
old fat guy

Oddometer: 277
WP fork

Quote:
Back when DP was changing his dampening rods, I bought a used WP fork from a 950A. They are the same length, same travel,and with dual caliper mounts. The two big hurdles in the swap are the size of the lower part of the WP tube, much larger the the BMW fork. BMW also uses a wider triple clamp. A lower clamp would need to be made. This would take me a year of making chips in my manual machines(paging MR. Emig).Axle size is also differant, not a big deal. The method of mounting the calipers is also different. Adaptor could be made, or if the piston size is the same use the KTM calipers. So with the nice weather we been having, and the long process to change the forks, I was waiting for Race Tech to step up to the plate, I'm not sure that they have yet.
Cisco
cisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:43 AM   #14
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
It's doable and not all that expensive (comparatively) but the ability to machine simple parts will make life much easier.

When choosing donor forks (I wouldn't rule out the Japanese dirtbikes) you have to keep in mind the diameter of the fork tube at the lower and upper clamps and also the width of the forks in the clamps. It's likely that you will have to machine a spacer/bushings for one of the clamps and also to center the wheel. Or, if it's easier to use the donor triple clamps, you will likely have to machine bushings for the stem to clamp interface(s). ABS is obviously an issue (if you have ABS) but the availability of SUMO brakes sort of solves that problem.

FWIW, early 2000s WR forks will not fit very easily...
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:58 AM   #15
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140
It's doable and not all that expensive (comparatively) but the ability to machine simple parts will make life much easier.

When choosing donor forks (I wouldn't rule out the Japanese dirtbikes) you have to keep in mind the diameter of the fork tube at the lower and upper clamps and also the width of the forks in the clamps. It's likely that you will have to machine a spacer/bushings for one of the clamps and also to center the wheel. Or, if it's easier to use the donor triple clamps, you will likely have to machine bushings for the stem to clamp interface(s). ABS is obviously an issue (if you have ABS) but the availability of SUMO brakes sort of solves that problem.

FWIW, early 2000s WR forks will not fit very easily...
Or one could use this opportunity to rid oneself of ABS and have a slightly lighter bike in the process. If I ever were to swap out my forks, I'd lose the ABS.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote