User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #1
squirrelscoundrel OP
beginner metal jockey

Oddometer: 45
I bit the bullet. 1974 r75/6

I bit the bullet and picked up the r75/6 I have been drooling over and dreaming about (literally) for weeks. The plan is to take the aquamarine bike that has been sitting for a few years and could use some help into a unique, mechanically perfect bike. I am not sure that I am going to do the cafe thing, nor will I be cutting the frame, and definately do not have the funds to make it original. I managed to get the bike for 700 bucks, and upon bringing it home hooked it up to my car's battery and despite being off the road for 4 or 5 years, it fired up and I rode it in the driveway.

I was warned by the previous owner that the 4th gear is non operational, so mechanically, that absolutely must be addressed. I am also going to take the motor apart for a good cleaning and make sure that everything in OK. Carbs cleaning, etc as well. It is going to need new tires, mirrors, front blinkers, a sidestand, and an overhaul on the brakes, as well as making sure the driveshaft is in good shape. My plan is to have this baby purdy and purring by the spring.

As I am a teacher at a boarding school, I have enlisted the help of some interested students and will be offering the "restoration" of the bike as an afterschool club. The paint scheme is in the air, but will be likely be some combination of black, red, and white, the school's colors. I really do not know much about mechanics, but a few of the students are knowledgeable, so I guess we'll all be learning together. I am extremely excited to begin a new project. I will be keeping all posted as to the progress of the project and I am sure that I will have more than a few questions.

squirrelscoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:05 PM   #2
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,728
I'm a firm believer in not fixing something that aint broke. By all means check the oil pressure, do a compression check, leak down test or any other checks you can think of; only then if they indicate a problem tear into it.

Pull the heads and clean out the carbon and replace the pushrod seals. At the same time, pull the lifters and inspect for pitting and corrosion. Check the cam at the same time by looking into the empty lifter holes. The cams can sometimes be pitted and worn down.

I'm with you on changing the color - what were they thinking???

Hope you got a box of parts with it - like a headlight and the front turn signals!

And, as for the trans, I'd suggest finding a good used one, something newer, one build closer to 1980.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
squirrelscoundrel OP
beginner metal jockey

I do have the headlight, but no for blinkers. The engine is leaking oil out of the bottom so I am expecting to install new seals while she is all apart.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:23 PM   #4
squirrelscoundrel OP
beginner metal jockey

I do have the headlight, but no for blinkers. The engine is leaking oil out of the bottom so I am expecting to install new seals while she is all apart.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,184
+1 on what Wirespokes said. Buying a spare transmission will be much much cheaper than getting that one fixed. check the marketplace on ibmwr.org. Gearboxes can be swapped from many different bikes. Anybody know any specifics on the swapability between models? A good used gearbox will probably run you around $400

There's a guy on here named Infracaninophile (no idea what that means) and he does incredible write-ups on maintenance. His thread'll walk you through valve adjustments, oil changes and rebuilding the carbs.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=431153&page=8

if you can get us pics of the leak we can tell what you need and part numbers

you can find any part you need here. it's OEM so it's often expensive. It's good for seals and cables and such though.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/fiche.asp

that bike should have hypoid gear oil in the gearbox, the driveshaft AND the final drive. I've seen some destroyed final drives because somebody forgot to fill the oil in it. 80W-90 or 75W-90 is what most folks run. Castrol GTX 20w-50 from autozone will be fine for the engine. You don't need a special motorcycle oil for an airhead.

here's a write-up on the pushrod seals that Wirespokes was talking about:

http://www.gunsmoke.com/motorcycling...bes/index.html

There's a group called the Airheads Beemer Club, the ABC. If you get in a bind go to http://www.airheads.org and see if anyone's offering a tech day in your area. You might be able to find someone local that can give you some pointers.

I'd start with this: get a new battery, change all the fluids and see how she runs.

I wholeheartedly recommend a maintenance free battery like an Odyssey. 80% of motorcycle breakdowns are from dead batteries.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 11-11-2009 at 06:12 PM
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,244
the colour is definitely unique
Old 11-11-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
squirrelscoundrel OP
beginner metal jockey

Thanks for all of the good info and advice. I will keep all posted with progress (is using the P word too optimistic?)
Old 11-11-2009, 07:59 PM   #8
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,728
Any of the transmissions without ribbed cases will fit your bike without any modifications. Stay away from a 74 or 75 trans since key new parts are no longer available for them. One gear may need replacing, but would require upgrading half the box to get it in there. Not worth the trouble!

That's good you got the headlight! Now start watching for the turn signals - usually about $25 each. Or I think Bob's BMW sells them, or maybe even Vech at Benchmark Works. Maybe Blue Moon...

When these bikes sit idle for any amount of time they start to leak. Ride them regularly and they stay dry, unless a seal has gone bad. With a long-parked bike expect to replace some seals. The thing to do is clean it all up well, then ride to see what's leaking. Ride some more... and perhaps it'll stop leaking. If it doesn't, replace the seal or gasket. And take it easy on the pan bolts! They're small and over-torquing will strip the threads in the block. If you've tightened them down pretty snug and still leaks, either replace the gasket or use something like non hardening aircraft gasket seal to stop the flow.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:07 AM   #9
cheesebot
I cheesebot

Oddometer: 355
Was this the bike listed in Bristol for $1000? If so it looks like you got a pretty good deal. I had to keep making excuses to myself for not calling the guy and spend more time repairing my /5. The last thing I need is another project...
cheesebot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:52 AM   #10
squirrelscoundrel OP
beginner metal jockey

Yeah. That was the bike.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:01 AM   #11
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by norton73
the colour is definitely unique
or, she has a great personality

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:42 AM   #12
spo123
Man About Town

Oddometer: 632
Thumb nice

I passed that ad along to my son and a buddy at work.......Glad someone worthy got a good deal!
Good Luck and Ride Safe!
spo
spo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #13
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon
or, she has a great personality

Old 11-13-2009, 05:01 AM   #14
Dabears
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
What a great project!

You know, it's almost a blessing that it's the color it is. Now you don't have to fret about whether you should just try and polish it up with the existing paint. I can think of several colors that would look great on it- aquamarine blue isn't one of them!

Have fun on your project. I hope you'll share the progress with us.
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:12 AM   #15
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,473
A 1974 R75/6; my intro to airheads/BMW's.

Be sure to post lots of pics.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote