Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2009, 07:15 PM   #16
WooHoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I have the same symptoms (assuming it's oil and not water burning) with my 89 R100GS (and previously on /5's.).

I am pretty sure in my case it's caused by the way I park my bikes....

When I get home I ride down my drive and shut off the engine and gas and prop the bike on the side stand while I open the garage, then I push the bike in and haul it up on the centre-stand where it sits till next time.

About one time in two she'll smoke on startup from the left.

I always thought the chance occurrence was a result of:

1. The oil level.
2. where in the stroke the piston ended up sitting ( maybe more TDC = more oil to dribble down ); and
3. where the ring gaps happened to be at that time.

You may have a totally different issue but while I noted you said you leave it on the centrestand overnight, you did not say you didn't use the side stand as part of the parking process. If you do, this may be your issue as well.

I agree it can be real embarrassing when you billow smoke like the Queen Mary, especially when parked bum to curb in front of your favourite cafe with the nice alfresco dining....

I've heard it recommended leaning the bike to the right for a few seconds after shutting down the engine prior to parking to avoid this. I tried it but didn't really help me much.

Ta.

Tim
WooHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:37 PM   #17
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,950
I had exactly the same thing on my 100/7. It stood for several years at one point in it's life and had some corrosion on the bore that would allow a small amount of oil to sit in when the bike stood overnight. Firing it up resulted in a cloud of smoke that lasted anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute, once cleared the bike would be fine all day. I honed the bore out a couple of years ago, re ringed it and it's never happened again.

unfortunately you have nikasil bores so you may not be able to hone them.

Rob Farmer screwed with this post 11-13-2009 at 08:24 AM
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:45 AM   #18
More_Miles OP
über-n00b

Oddometer: 312
Pics and vids

Inmates,

A day late and a dollar short but here we are.

These are the plugs. Left is left and right is right. I'm going to pop a new set in tonight.

From Motorcycle Bits
An oil check prior to starting up. Yes, it's low, getting changed tonight with a new filter.

From Motorcycle Bits
It was about -1 degree C this morning when I headed to work. Here's the proof!

From Motorcycle Bits
Now, before anybody makes comments about my riding gear, it's the best I could come up with at this time. Here's the video of the cold start, after sitting over night in the garage. Also, please excuse the mess, if you are coming to see me, come any time, to see the house or garage, make an appointment!

Questions have been asked about my parking style. Sometimes I shut down on the side stand for a couple moments while I open the garage. Sometimes I let it idle on the side stand while I do the same. I always run it into the garage under power since there is about a 1 foot rise and a 3 inch lip at the door. Okay, so I'm lazy...

Now that you can see the symptoms, thoughts? After smelling the exhaust, it's doesn't smell like rich, vapour laden exhaust. It also doesn't really smell all that much like oil burning...
Old 11-13-2009, 07:53 AM   #19
sharkojoints
is a bit slow sometimes..

Oddometer: 72
Does that smoke still happen if you don't use the choke?
sharkojoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:02 AM   #20
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,484
Sure looks like oily smoke to me..... and the left plug has deposits which would be consistent with oil burning.

Do a compression check.

You might also want to do a simple check at the "output" of the crankcase relief: there is a tube that dumps into the right air tube: pull the airtube off the right carb/rightairboxiside, and stick your thumb over it while the bike idles. If you have a lot of really oily air there, it could be the problem... the oily airmix is being sucked into the carb(s). Pull the airtube off the left side: is it oily over there?

I am thinking that if the onset was sudden, you may have a broken ring. It could also be valve guides, but I don't think that you would be burning that much oil with a bad valve guide.....

Both sides are smoking, though it appears that the smoke is thicker at first from the left.. if you block the left exhaust with a rag, does the right side sound the same.... I am wondering if most of the smoke is pushed over to the left side because the right exhaust is sorta plugged with oily-ness....

bpeckm screwed with this post 11-13-2009 at 08:09 AM
bpeckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:20 AM   #21
More_Miles OP
über-n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkojoints
Nope. On the other hand though, the only time I don't need to use the enricher is when it's warmed up. Current temperatures are such that it need all the help it can get. So this doesn't tell us much... Is it because it's cold or because the enricher is on... Feh...
Old 11-13-2009, 08:22 AM   #22
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,950
Thats just what mine was like. Mine would be fine for the rest of the day once it cleared.

You need to pull the heads and barrels and check the bores and rings.
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:28 AM   #23
More_Miles OP
über-n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm
Sure looks like oily smoke to me..... and the left plug has deposits which would be consistent with oil burning.

Do a compression check.

You might also want to do a simple check at the "output" of the crankcase relief: there is a tube that dumps into the right air tube: pull the airtube off the right carb/rightairboxiside, and stick your thumb over it while the bike idles. If you have a lot of really oily air there, it could be the problem... the oily airmix is being sucked into the carb(s). Pull the airtube off the left side: is it oily over there?

I am thinking that if the onset was sudden, you may have a broken ring. It could also be valve guides, but I don't think that you would be burning that much oil with a bad valve guide.....

Both sides are smoking, though it appears that the smoke is thicker at first from the left.. if you block the left exhaust with a rag, does the right side sound the same.... I am wondering if most of the smoke is pushed over to the left side because the right exhaust is sorta plugged with oily-ness....
I'm going to tear into the air box and air tubes tonight when I have it down for fluids change. I'm also going to pick up new plugs, and a compression tester.

I'll give the rag test a try tonight. As far as the broken ring is concerned, I am hesitant to tear into the cylinder unless I have all the spares there. On the other hand, I'm thinking broken ring = damaged bores = replaced bore = lots of cash... Lets see what we have with the air box....

Now, memory surfaces, the previous owner told me that the left cylinder "smokes bad when you first start it up in the spring, then doesn't do it again." Now, he was a man in his high 50's who also owned a new R1200RT. He may have also had more sense than I, not riding in these stupid temperatures.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:37 AM   #24
More_Miles OP
über-n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkojoints
Perhaps confusing the issue now... Just zipped into town for lunch. Started to smoke when I started it, I killed the enricher and kept it going with careful application of the throttle. The smoke petered out and stopped...

Old 11-13-2009, 09:42 AM   #25
sharkojoints
is a bit slow sometimes..

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by More_Miles
Perhaps confusing the issue now... Just zipped into town for lunch. Started to smoke when I started it, I killed the enricher and kept it going with careful application of the throttle. The smoke petered out and stopped...

Sorry...

I always suspect and try and rule out the cheapest stuff (ie. rich mixture) first.

Having said that, Bpeckm's advice sounds about right to me - a compression test would be on my list.
sharkojoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:02 AM   #26
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 14,829
Not to sound like a broken record (I wonder if that phrase actually means anything these days, as many people have never even seen a record), but all this guessing means nothing until you take that bike out and blow the snot out of it. Then put in fresh plugs and run it hard and then do a plug check. And then do a compression check. Airheads are not fond of cold temps and if the engine hasn't run hard or been well heated up the plugs are bound to look like shit and the vapor is gonna continue to spew out.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #27
More_Miles OP
über-n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern
Not to sound like a broken record (I wonder if that phrase actually means anything these days, as many people have never even seen a record), but all this guessing means nothing until you take that bike out and blow the snot out of it. Then put in fresh plugs and run it hard and then do a plug check. And then do a compression check. Airheads are not fond of cold temps and if the engine hasn't run hard or been well heated up the plugs are bound to look like shit and the vapor is gonna continue to spew out.
New plugs going in tonight along with fluids change. I'm going to *check* everything here that doesn't require an engine disassembly. I plan on riding as much of tomorrow as possible, so that should count for blowing the snot out of it! After this, a compression test. Now, if I can just stop worrying and shut up about it until I get this done!

Um, yes, I know what a broken record is.. record is.. record is.. record is.. record is.. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTT! Might have something to do with having a couple hundred in my collection.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:06 AM   #28
mykill
odd

Oddometer: 1,155
I'm with Mista Vern. Clean fluids, check and set the basics and ride the crap out of it. I have a Norton that sat for a long time prior to my purchase, an initial compression check had both cylinders below 100#. After a day of riding they bumped up to 135# each. Things get sticky when they sit but you may have corroded rings, most likely the oil control rings. Since it is a Nikasil bike, there is a good chance just the rings are the issue, they are soft and give up to the bores easily. Intake guides are also a possibility, but will be more costly and involved.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:14 PM   #29
More_Miles OP
über-n00b

Snot not yet ridden out of it but....

Inmates,

Well, I tore into the airbox tonight. Guess what I found?

Oil in the crank case breather tube. Enough that there was a drop or two forming at the end of it. The intake was also oily... I cleaned it all up, and I think I know why the left cylinder was smoking more than the right. The tube that runs from the Tee to the intake was sloped down towards the left. Gravity's a bitch.

I also took the starter cover off. It looks like there has been some oil getting out into this area. I cleaned it up as best I could, and since I'm almost into the winter cabin fever season, I'll tackle that later. For now, oil is fresh, and I'm going to keep an eye on it. I am pretty sure I know why it's smoking, just need to figure out now why it's blowing oil.

By the way, new plugs make her start so much nicer. Gapped them, installed them, and Bob's your uncle. By the way, anybody else gap new out of the box plugs? These were 0.030 and 0.035 respectively... Had to go with Autolite equ'vs since nobody in this little burg carries Bosch or the appropriate NGK...

Edited for stupid spelling mistakes
Old 11-14-2009, 02:03 AM   #30
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
Remove your crank case breather and see if it is working.........too much oil might just be getting by the breather.
That bike should hold 2500cc of oil or 2700cc of oil if you have the oil cooler.
After the bike has the correct amount in it.......see where it is on the dipstick. The bike might have been overfilled if the correct stick is not in it.
Cheers

Droptarotter screwed with this post 11-14-2009 at 10:53 AM
Droptarotter is offline   Reply With Quote