Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2014, 10:06 PM   #1
Kiba OP
Dances With Huskies

Oddometer: 106
Yamaha XT350/TT350- Where Should It Go?

My latest project!

Yeah, I know, I know... making less than 16k a year, I shouldn't have three bikes

But I had a particularly good week at work and the bug bit again when I saw this little sis to my XT600. Same year too- 1986 for both.

Here's the secret though- it's actually a TT350 with XT350 wiring, lights and switchgear. Check the pics:

Best of both worlds, I hope at least! The light weight, better suspension, and increased power of the TT350 with the street-legality and lights of the XT350. It's street titled so regardless of the state I can't be given any crap about how it's a dirtbike or OHV.

Plus it had the original Yamaha service manual and toolkit, which I thought was kinda neat.

Since my XT600 is my daily driver with panniers and such, I can afford to go in any direction with this bike.

As a TT model it still lacks gauges save a tripmeter so it will be getting a Vapor for a speedo/tach. Besides that I'll be leaving the electrics bare bones- front hi/lo, tail/brake, turn, horn that beeps and a Vapor is the plan.

Also to be fixed immediately: Horn switch, chain/sprockets and chain slider.

I'd like something a bit more fun but still reliable and able to serve as backup transport in case I need it. I was thinking of a basic supermoto conversion, entailing either a frontend swap since it lacks OE gauges already or maybe just something I can run a smaller rim/fatter tire up front on.

I don't want to do anything that would adversely affect reliability so I'm not touching the motor except for tuning the carbs properly and maybe a pipe/air filter change.

I also was thinking of making some nice panniers for it like the ones on the 600, even if they're only used occasionally.

I'll also have to replace the handguards, bars, and maybe rear rack since I'm stealing them for my XT600.

It does have no battery, just a cap, due to the TT airbox taking up the whole rear end. I can live with a no battery bike (done it before!) but I wonder if it would be better to swap the bodged rear light and signals/flasher to LEDs in order to lighten the load on the generator.

The bike should be here before the April 4th- I'll do a better writeup then.

Thanks for listening to my rambling
1992 Suzuki GSF400 Bandit (project) 35,179 miles
Wolves do it in the snow.
Kiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:25 AM   #2
beerbuzz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
I rode the wheels off my tt350, with an AC-10 rear it was like a trials bike in the mountain woods around here, didn't need a trail just pick a direction. Great bike, be careful with the timing chain tensioner its easy to break and over priced.
I think you have an xt frame, mine didn't have tabs on the frame for passenger pegs.
99 TTR225
beerbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:56 AM   #3
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbuzz View Post
I think you have an xt frame, mine didn't have tabs on the frame for passenger pegs.
I was thinking the same thing. Loved my XT. Good town and trail bike. My DR is better on the open road and I love the E start but miss having a smaller bike.
exoff-roadgoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:56 AM   #4
8lives
Oops I fell again

Oddometer: 1,729
I've had my XT for about a month now,as said the missing magic button is a bummer but mine starts easy,and as it's seat height is lower that my DR350 was I'm better in tight places with it.Im along for your build.I have 2 bikes and having the XT allows me a bike to paint,thrash,work on,and enjoy!
1986 XT350 For going places the Wee shouldn't be!
I still see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:53 AM   #5
Kiba OP
Dances With Huskies

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbuzz View Post
I rode the wheels off my tt350, with an AC-10 rear it was like a trials bike in the mountain woods around here, didn't need a trail just pick a direction. Great bike, be careful with the timing chain tensioner its easy to break and over priced.
Looking more closely I think you're right. Probably a TT350 motor plopped in an XT frame with the XT electrical system and the rest of the stuff shoehorned in. The whole rear setup (shock and airbox) looks very TT to me but I'll have to check it in person to know the whole story.

I've heard things about that tensioner and the valves too... shimmed valves are a PITA, never done them myself. What was your adjustment/check interval? If it's over 15k I might just let the dealer mess with the shims once they're out of spec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
I've had my XT for about a month now,as said the missing magic button is a bummer but mine starts easy,and as it's seat height is lower that my DR350 was I'm better in tight places with it.Im along for your build.I have 2 bikes and having the XT allows me a bike to paint,thrash,work on,and enjoy!
Nice, pretty much what I'm looking to do. How's your XT setup? I'm still undecided on whether I want to do it up as more of a light enduro, mini-ADV type bike with panniers and such, or a light supermoto so it can be a bit more fun on the street. Or maybe all three with detachable panniers.

That plastic tank looks awesome, too... hopefully it's the longer-range desert tank so there's no need for a jerry can on the dirt like with the 600.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:26 PM   #6
Roland3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
im doing the led conversion on my 97 xt right now, got the rear turn signals in today, tail/brake/license plate light is on its way, modded the rear fender by trimming it to a beaver tail and moving the plate holder further up inside, ill post pics in the xt350 thread when i get a chance

you should also be able to tell what frame it is by the vin number on steering neck. i dont know if TT's even had a vin and if they do you can look it up as to what model it is, I dont think my xt frame has that bracket that the remote shock resivoir is strapped to.
Roland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:30 PM   #7
8lives
Oops I fell again

Oddometer: 1,729
For now I'm using it as a plated single track bike,I dislike trailering a bike,I am lucky mine is in good shape,resembles yours except mines all XT,I was doing stupid stuff with my brand new V Strom so I needed a dirt/wheelie machine,the Strom still does dirt just not the roads that make me question my decisions,the XT seems ok for all I want it to do,may be a paint job in the future,I really wanted a big bad ass KTM but the XT was like a sad old dog at the pound so began our relationship.Enough BS on with the build info!
1986 XT350 For going places the Wee shouldn't be!
I still see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:58 PM   #8
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,525
Yamaha XT350/TT350- Where Should It Go?

Nice bike..
I just finished my XT350 Overlander.

I'm going to do a fork swap next fall ,thinking about a TT swap how go you like your forks. ??.
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:36 PM   #9
Kiba OP
Dances With Huskies

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortwestRider View Post
Nice bike..
I just finished my XT350 Overlander.

I'm going to do a fork swap next fall ,thinking about a TT swap how go you like your forks. ??.
Nice bike.... subbed your thread earlier, somehow I missed the end of it. I love the panniers w/jerry tank, looks purpose built.

Wish I knew on the forks... the bike's still getting here. Previous owner says it's a TT350 in all but wiring/electrical, but those passenger pegs have me thinking there's more to the story, so we'll see.

If XT600 forks are anything to go by, I'll know whether it's TT or XT forks by whether the front end dives so much that even under soft braking it looks to a passing observer like you're humping the tank.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:14 PM   #10
Roland3
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiba View Post
Nice bike.... subbed your thread earlier, somehow I missed the end of it. I love the panniers w/jerry tank, looks purpose built.

Wish I knew on the forks... the bike's still getting here. Previous owner says it's a TT350 in all but wiring/electrical, but those passenger pegs have me thinking there's more to the story, so we'll see.

If XT600 forks are anything to go by, I'll know whether it's TT or XT forks by whether the front end dives so much that even under soft braking it looks to a passing observer like you're humping the tank.
Those are tt350 forks in your pics. They are way thicker at the top than my puny ones. Also the dual brake piston is TT
Old 03-25-2014, 10:23 PM   #11
beerbuzz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
TT forks are full of jello just like xt forks. I never tried heavier oil but I bet they would respond well.
99 TTR225
beerbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:54 AM   #12
Roland3
Gnarly Adventurer

i just put new fork seals in and completely disassembled and cleaned them. only a couple teaspoons of oil poured out of one of them. they were full of grime. i took out the solid steel spacers someone put in there and made some hollow aluminum ones. I refilled them with synthetic Atf fluid but wished i found some heaver 15 wt fork oil to try, not sure i would notice a difference though. they are 100% better than they were
Old 03-26-2014, 07:43 AM   #13
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,525
Your frame has tubes under the engine,I think the XT's don't..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:39 PM   #14
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,113
Some Emulators/Intiminators help with the front end.
Re-oiling the rear with thicker oil also helps.

TT350's over here always came with lights and indicators.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:14 AM   #15
Kilohertz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Hey Kiba,

Nice bike! This is my first post, having just joined and also having just bought a TT350 2 days ago. I'm pretty sure yours is a TT. I'll post pics of mine shortly. As has been pointed out, yours has the larger front forks, the trip meter and full frame. Mine's the same, although mine has a story which I won't hijack your thread for, I'll start my own. Check your s/n on the fork bearing tube, right side under the headlight...mine is 1RG etc etc...this is the TT. Check your engine s/n as well, right side just above the kick start on a flat boss. Should match the frame type, ie should also be 1RG etc etc. Turns out mine is not. Mine turned out to be a '93 XT engine. Oh well...more later.

Enjoy your bike and keep us posted. I'll be doing a rebuild on mine...already have the engine in pieces...check my post later in the day.

Cheers

Paul

Kilohertz screwed with this post 03-30-2014 at 10:20 PM
Kilohertz is offline   Reply With Quote