ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2015, 11:51 PM   #1
tblume OP
deus ex machina

Oddometer: 2,292
Weird shit you found on the trail

Tony had a good brain jot at the sportsman bar and grill (and mower races) in Wamic Saturday;

WEIRD SHIT YOU FOUND ON THE TRAIL!

bigfoot, pot grows, deviant dirty bikers, etc...

we came across a group of Asian looking dudes on a back trail off the Barlow, looked like a random mellow camp to me but Tony and buddy KahlinK saw a half dozen black guns in a teepee formation that I didn't.

What have you seen off-piste that seems bizarre?

Old 06-01-2015, 04:47 AM   #2
52xc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Me and a friend rounded a corner on a fire road and there was this broken down old looking camper with some Jebidiah smith moutnain main type dude with huge beard and what looked lke two young girls (14 and 16 maybe) that gave us this look like "tell someone we are hear" and we looked at the guy and he had this look of murder on his face. Like we caught him or something. I suspect he might have kidnapped them or something. It totally looked out of place. Then we realized we hit a dead and and had to go back past him again. When we came back he was gone already. One of those incidents that made your hair raise.
52xc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:42 AM   #3
Wilder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Riding down an old dry rocky stream bed behind Duvall, I see a dog in the middle of the trail about 200 feet ahead. I slow way down approaching the dog, looking all around for its owner. As I passed the dog, and just about to get back on the gas, out of the corner of my eye I spot a dude in a full ghillie suit, laying down prone with a large rifle under his arms, in the woods a couple feet off the trail. I think he thought I didn't see him. Now, I was riding in a place you shouldn't technically be riding, and it was July, NOT hunting season. Needless to say I hit the gas and didn't look back!

Also, when I was around 8, went riding with my dad and older brothers up at reiter. We stashed bikes beneath lake isabelle and started hiking up to the lake. On the way up, we hear some distinctly human grunting. Turned the corner and in the distance see a bare ass going up and down behind some ferns, then two heads popped up and looked directly at us. We just kept going towards the lake, no words were spoken. They were gone when we went back down. I learned a lot that day, and not about bikes, haha!

Wilder screwed with this post 06-01-2015 at 09:49 AM
Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:16 AM   #4
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,904
Was riding solo in the Oregon Canyon mountains over by the Idaho border early in the morning up on top of the range several years ago. A large black animal dropped down out of the low bushes onto the 2 track rocky road in front of me. Thought it was a juvenile bear until he stopped and looked back at me. It was a huge wolf - one of the coolest things I've ever witnessed off the bike.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:24 AM   #5
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,106
There is a ridge just out of Pinehurst , ID where you can find this crazy bird. It'll come right up to you and perch on your arm and yell bird-obscenities at you.

This isn't from the PNW, but 20-some years ago I was on a Jeep trailride in PA coal country, and we drove right past this burning car 10 miles from anything. Everyone acted as if it was something they see every day.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:33 AM   #6
Trinity_Session
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52xc View Post
Me and a friend rounded a corner on a fire road and there was this broken down old looking camper with some Jebidiah smith moutnain main type dude with huge beard and what looked lke two young girls (14 and 16 maybe) that gave us this look like "tell someone we are hear" and we looked at the guy and he had this look of murder on his face. Like we caught him or something. I suspect he might have kidnapped them or something. It totally looked out of place. Then we realized we hit a dead and and had to go back past him again. When we came back he was gone already. One of those incidents that made your hair raise.
What did you hear?
Trinity_Session is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:03 PM   #7
Chip Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,016
Weird stuff found on trail.

Going up a road twisting up into the Sierras, I found a 5 gallon jerry can in the middle of the road. Of course, it was empty! LOL
Chip Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:13 PM   #8
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,785
Sasquatch.... two days ago!

Old 06-01-2015, 12:43 PM   #9
Fattirerider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Just yesterday doing some mountain biking up near Mt. Baker. Heading up a fsr and come around a corner to a beat up pickup in the middle of the road. Truck has no windshield, garbage everywhere surrounding the truck/campsite. A lady is standing next to a smoldering fire and as we pass she turns away. On the return trip sherif deputies are there talking with her. As we pass the deputy ask her "what is this" while taking a stick with barbed wire ducted taped to it out of the bed of the truck.

Glad she didn't decide we weren't welcomed there. Obvious drug/mental issues going on.
84 Honda CT110 Trail
Fattirerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:03 PM   #10
DiggerD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 709
Emu Count ?

Big bird was hard to get around on a logging road east of Yahats more than a few years back...

The one HellsAl and I saw was a heck of a lot bigger than the ones in this vido.

http://search.myway.com/search/video...Id=Ej0ZO79Aqxw
DiggerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:09 PM   #11
tdewitt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAbout View Post
Sasquatch.... two days ago!

I resemble that remark

tdewitt screwed with this post 06-01-2015 at 01:42 PM Reason: to be funny
tdewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:10 PM   #12
tblume OP
deus ex machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdewitt View Post
Your funny
His funny what?
Old 06-01-2015, 01:16 PM   #13
tblume OP
deus ex machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52xc View Post
....he had this look of murder on his face. Like we caught him or something. I suspect he might have kidnapped them or something .....
Saw similar in the TSF- barking mad looking dude in a beat to shit mini-van with a very scared looking woman sitting passenger on a way back trail/jeep road, i was a kid and didn't think much of it till years later...
Old 06-01-2015, 01:26 PM   #14
AlH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Last August, we were heading up Mt Princeton in CO in our 4wd and there beside the trail, maybe half way up, is a VStrom, just parked on the side of the trail.
So we went on up and coming back down an hour or so later it was still there so I stopped. Looked all around, shouted a few times, looked at the bike, didn't see anything obviously wrong. ie no bashed oil sump.
Wandered down a path a little didn't see anyone.
No idea what it was doing there or how long it had been there.

As an aside the last part of the trail before it tops out at the parking area near the hidden "cabin", is too narrow for two vehicles to pass, so we see this vehicle coming down so we wait since they were already on the narrow part....and we waited and waited, took them like 15 minutes to get 1/4 mile or so and finally I see it is a car! A Subaru.
Anyway it stops about 150 ft short from us and just sits there- I start waving "come on" no response, I start blowing the horn and waving- nothing.
Finally I walk up and this college age girl is just sitting there in the driver's seat reading a book in the middle of the f'ing trail!
Told her we've been waiting on her, by this time like 20 minutes, to get the hell down so we could go up.
She says "Oh I'm just waiting on some friends that are hiking and I'm supposed to pick them up here!
WTF?? You can't just block the whole damn trail girl! Get your ass on down to the next spot where two vehicles can pass. What a dumbass.

That was a weird day between the Subaru and the VStrom.

AlH screwed with this post 06-01-2015 at 01:39 PM
AlH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:26 PM   #15
Mustangshelly
Adventurer...hardly

Oddometer: 572
Jeff needs to tell

His "proud Peter" story.
Mustangshelly is offline   Reply With Quote