ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #6796
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinroach View Post
that helps... I suppose.

if both are stock and unchanged, how does one have more power? Or handling? Etc.

how much different are the engines, suspension handling etc from.each??

I don't see much of a difference mostly cuz I'm a virgin noob and haven't rode either. I'm assuming if I have it would be easy to distinguish.
They are both about the same height/size. XRR has an aluminum frame, fully adjustable suspension, and water-cooled engine. XRL has steel frame, partly adjustable suspension, and air-cooled engine (same engine from '93 to present).
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #6797
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
They are both about the same height/size. XRR has an aluminum frame, fully adjustable suspension, and water-cooled engine. XRL has steel frame, partly adjustable suspension, and air-cooled engine (same engine from '93 to present).
Sooo the XRL could handle highway riding better then, correct? Because I'm looking for a bike that can handle highway fairly easy and can take care of itself in the dirt when circumstances arise. From what I've been learning the XRR is more dirt oriented... And that's notnexatly what I'm looking for. I'd say my riding would consist of 60/40 street/dirt....
One Fat Roach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #6798
Ironwood
Friday Harbor, WA

Oddometer: 711
L vs R

I rode an XL before I bought my XRR. I was never more bored in my life. It will get you to a destination but you might fall asleep on the way.
Ironwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #6799
DiamondLie
Banned

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
I rode an XL before I bought my XRR. I was never more bored in my life. It will get you to a destination but you might fall asleep on the way.
In other words it rides a lot like a KLR.
DiamondLie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #6800
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondLie View Post
In other words it rides a lot like a KLR.
if that's the case you're only making me want a KLR even more
That was my first choice but I'm still a month away of saving from being in the ballpark to purchase one.

My first bike was a Honda that I sold a bit ago and that's.the only reason I'm contemplating xr650 is because I'm semi familiar with honda
As far as gear goes, which is more suitable to lug stuff around, an XRR or L ?
Old 05-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #6801
huzar
Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer: 1,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
http://http://www.advrider.com/forum...d.php?t=837596

Yup... I'm sure Bryce was bored out of his gourd when he rode an XR650L all the way down to Ushuaia...

'Cause, you know, it's all about the bike...
huzar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #6802
Miguel Sanchez
Whatever...

Oddometer: 906
Quote:
Why do people hate on the XRLs compared to the XRRs??
Mostly jealousy... And a need to feel good about that fucked up leg from kicking the big bastard back to life in the middle of a rocky uphill!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01 GS1150, 02 WR426F, 04 XR650L, 04 315R, 04 CRF230F, 81 R100RT (S), 56 G80CS, 87 MT11, 71 TS185, 74 98SR, 74 99RT, 76 TL250, 70 MX125, 80 DR400, 80 RS175, 80 RS250, 78 XR75, 74 RD350, 70 CT70, 06 Monster 620 Dark, and about a dozen more I can't think of right now...
Miguel Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #6803
Jungle Man
frenzied adventurer

Oddometer: 372
For 60/40 go with the xrl, I had the xrr and loved it while it ran well. Too much time can be spent on the XR650R and mine had some fluke problems. Read the entire xr650r thread and you'll see how much time is spent tinkering with them. Also they eat chains, sprockets, and tires and it is factory sprung for about 145lb rider, and you're definitely going to feel the urge to mod the piss out of it. I would get the L and ride it. I learned a lot having the 650R as my first "real" motorcycle but I believe if I bought the L I would still have it and it would be running.
"If you're too busy to hunt and fish, you're too busy"
Jase-Duck Dynasty
Jungle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #6804
Road Rash OP
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
Performance, power, handling, sex appeal.
Dire Wolf's XR is not your Daddy's XR, the bike has been re-built and re-worked by a very knowledgeable person here on ADV (and of course that would rule out DW ).

I have rode the bike, the power was great but the suspension is what really makes that bike stand out on it's own, besides the sexy excel wheels. If it wasn't for my bad right ankle, that bike would be in my stable

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #6805
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 11,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rash View Post
Dire Wolf's XR is not your Daddy's XR, the bike has been re-built and re-worked by a very knowledgeable person here on ADV (and of course that would rule out DW ).

I have rode the bike, the power was great but the suspension is what really makes that bike stand out on it's own, besides the sexy excel wheels. If it wasn't for my bad right ankle, that bike would be in my stable
Like I said.... sex appeal.

Road Rash needs all he can get.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #6806
linkweewee
tantum quantum

Oddometer: 13,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
Like I said.... sex appeal.

Road Rash needs all he can get.
True dat
Old 05-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #6807
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,496
Quote:
Sooo the XRL could handle highway riding better then, correct? Because I'm looking for a bike that can handle highway fairly easy and can take care of itself in the dirt when circumstances arise. From what I've been learning the XRR is more dirt oriented... And that's notnexatly what I'm looking for. I'd say my riding would consist of 60/40 street/dirt....
XRL handles the highway fine. If you are doing extended highway riding in hot weather you might want to add on an oil cooler, or at least get a oil thermometer and keep an eye on temps. I have a thermo on mine and I have yet to get it over 225 degrees (best to shut it down and let it cool off at about 300).

Quote:
if that's the case you're only making me want a KLR even more
That was my first choice but I'm still a month away of saving from being in the ballpark to purchase one.

My first bike was a Honda that I sold a bit ago and that's.the only reason I'm contemplating xr650 is because I'm semi familiar with honda
As far as gear goes, which is more suitable to lug stuff around, an XRR or L ?
The XRL is more dirt capable than the KLR, while still a decent highway bike. The XRL seems to have more options as far as racks and luggage options, but it you are going to put any decent amount of weight on the back you'll want to re-inforce the subframe (Manracks sells support struts for $20). The XRL is easy to work on, easy to find parts for, and no radiator to mess with.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #6808
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
XRL handles the highway fine. If you are doing extended highway riding in hot weather you might want to add on an oil cooler, or at least get a oil thermometer and keep an eye on temps. I have a thermo on mine and I have yet to get it over 225 degrees (best to shut it down and let it cool off at about 300).

The XRL is more dirt capable than the KLR, while still a decent highway bike. The XRL seems to have more options as far as racks and luggage options, but it you are going to put any decent amount of weight on the back you'll want to re-inforce the subframe (Manracks sells support struts for $20). The XRL is easy to work on, easy to find parts for, and no radiator to mess with.
thank you for some in depth answers! I spend a few hours a day browsing and going through topics on here since I'm currently bikeless and have found SO much helpful info. You guys are great. I just wish the search feature worked on my phone so I don't have to dig and dig through tons of old pages. But sometime I end up finding something I wasn't looking for that way and it ends up being a good find.

That being said, I feel pretty confident going to look at this 2004. It was used as a commuter, original owner has only put on 14k miles. Its got a larger Clarke tank and a skid plate. The only things I wanna add to it are some hand guards/bark busters and a small rack.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #6809
shrubitup
Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/mcy/3819380089.html
shrubitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #6810
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrubitup View Post
you sunnuvabeeeeeeach