User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2015, 06:01 AM   #1
DonL OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
2014 BMW 1200GSA battery drained by Powerlet

I purchased a Powerlet Battery Harness to Apple iPhone 5 Charging Cable so that I could use my iPhone for music and receiving phone calls while on the road. I wasn't able to use my bike for the past month. I go out to start it today and the battery is almost dead. I had to remove it and charge it for about an hour. Put it back in and the bike fired right up.

I installed the Powerlet directly to my battery. Didn't have any problems as long as my bike didn't sit for more than two weeks.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I have a PdM60 that I need to get installed, but I'm worried that it may end up draining my battery too.
DonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:07 AM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 53,779
A powerlet, by itself, will not drain a battery. It is inert on its own. What did you have plugged into the powerlet.

As for the PDM60, it too will not drain your battery.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:47 AM   #3
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 5,242
Agree with Jim O. Unless the outlet has an LED to indicate presence of power I don't see how it could draw any current without something plugged into it.
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:00 AM   #4
paladinwest
Been Around

Oddometer: 225
If it is the kit that connects directly to the battery and has the iPhone plug on the other end it is probably drawing some current even with the iPhone disconnected because of the DC - DC convertor that is used to drop the 12v to 5v for the phone. Wouldn't be very much but over a month and combined with the other parasitic draws on the battery (and the small capacity of the stock battery) what you experienced is possible. If it is just a plain powerlet socket with nothing attached then there would be no draw.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:47 AM   #5
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paladinwest View Post
If it is the kit that connects directly to the battery and has the iPhone plug on the other end it is probably drawing some current even with the iPhone disconnected because of the DC - DC convertor that is used to drop the 12v to 5v for the phone. Wouldn't be very much but over a month and combined with the other parasitic draws on the battery (and the small capacity of the stock battery) what you experienced is possible. If it is just a plain powerlet socket with nothing attached then there would be no draw.
The LED can draw a tiny bit. The USB converter will not unless something is plugged into it! I had one on my 05 GS for years!

Old 05-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #6
paladinwest
Been Around

Depends on how the device is built, most DC - DC converters will draw a small quiescent current even if there is no draw on the output. For example the quiescent current on a very simple circuit, an L7805 three terminal voltage regulator that would take the bike nominal 12v to USB level 5 volts is rated at 6 mA. With that load it would theoretically take about 83 days to fully drain a 12 AH battery. Of course there are other loads on the battery when the bike is shut off as well and there is the characteristic of all batteries to self discharge. Your experience with your device notwithstanding (I am sure that YOUR bike has never sat unused for a month and on the odd chance it has it is on a battery tender). The current draw with no load is not very high but it is just one more draw on a bike that is heavy in electronics and light on battery (the foam brick under the stock battery in the new boxers that takes up the space where a larger battery could have been placed). Without knowing how the powerlet iPhone adaptor is constructed or the rest of the OP's situation it is hard to say that it is definitely the cause, but it is a possibility. Maybe he will never have the painful experience of not being able to ride for a month, in which case it won't be a problem.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:36 AM   #7
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Depends on how the device is built, most DC - DC converters will draw a small quiescent current even if there is no draw on the output. For example the quiescent current on a very simple circuit, an L7805 three terminal voltage regulator that would take the bike nominal 12v to USB level 5 volts is rated at 6 mA. With that load it would theoretically take about 83 days to fully drain a 12 AH battery. Of course there are other loads on the battery when the bike is shut off as well and there is the characteristic of all batteries to self discharge. Your experience with your device notwithstanding (I am sure that YOUR bike has never sat unused for a month and on the odd chance it has it is on a battery tender). The current draw with no load is not very high but it is just one more draw on a bike that is heavy in electronics and light on battery (the foam brick under the stock battery in the new boxers that takes up the space where a larger battery could have been placed). Without knowing how the powerlet iPhone adaptor is constructed or the rest of the OP's situation it is hard to say that it is definitely the cause, but it is a possibility. Maybe he will never have the painful experience of not being able to ride for a month, in which case it won't be a problem.
It is true, I can't remember a time when my bike sat a whole month, though I never use a charger/tender unless I left something on and killed the battery.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:59 AM   #8
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonL View Post
I purchased a Powerlet Battery Harness to Apple iPhone 5 Charging Cable so that I could use my iPhone for music and receiving phone calls while on the road. I wasn't able to use my bike for the past month. I go out to start it today and the battery is almost dead. I had to remove it and charge it for about an hour. Put it back in and the bike fired right up.

I installed the Powerlet directly to my battery. Didn't have any problems as long as my bike didn't sit for more than two weeks.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I have a PdM60 that I need to get installed, but I'm worried that it may end up draining my battery too.
Check with your dealer,BMW replacing bad batteries on some of the GSW's

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:24 PM   #9
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
Quote:
Depends on how the device is built, (snip)
... and how it is wired to the bike. The DC-DC converter for my Zumo 220 would kill the battery within a week. The converter itself didn't draw enough power to kill the battery, but it was wired through the underbreak factory GPS plug and did draw enough power to keep the Canbus awake, and this is certainly enough to kill a battery in one week.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:32 PM   #10
paladinwest
Been Around

Keeping the Canbus awake is a bad bad thing. Even worse is keeping all of the modules on the Canbus awake. Battery will discharge fairly quickly. Pretty sure that the OP just had it connected directly to the battery.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:00 AM   #11
DonL OP
Adventurer

Connected directly to battery

Sorry for not responding sooner.

Yes, I connected it directly to the battery. I guess that was a bad idea. I didn't have any problems with the bike previous to purchasing the Powerlet. The end of the Powerlet was always capped off with the plastic cap that came with it.

I have the LED lights option. What is the best way to wire the PDM60 so that this doesn't happen again?

The bike is practically brand new, so I'd hate to have to replace the battery already. But if I had to, what battery should I purchase?

Thanks for everyone's replys.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:02 PM   #12
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by donl View Post
sorry for not responding sooner.

Yes, i connected it directly to the battery. I guess that was a bad idea. I didn't have any problems with the bike previous to purchasing the powerlet. The end of the powerlet was always capped off with the plastic cap that came with it.

I have the led lights option. What is the best way to wire the pdm60 so that this doesn't happen again?

The bike is practically brand new, so i'd hate to have to replace the battery already. But if i had to, what battery should i purchase?

see my post #8 above,did you check with dealer?

thanks for everyone's replys.

jr356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:38 PM   #13
runnerhiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
My perfectly good battery on my '14 GSW was replaced under warranty when I took the bike in for the 6K mile service. Don't buy a new battery, call your dealer, the recall was being done because some batteries were failing, I think you should follow through on this before doing anything else.
runnerhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:17 AM   #14
DonL OP
Adventurer

Haven't had internet service so I couldn't check this thread the past few days.

I removed it from the battery and now everything seems normal, i.e., my bike starts every time. I don't think it's a battery issue. I think it's the way I had it installed.

If anyone has a suggestion on installing the PDM60 so that it doesn't drain the battery, I'd appreciate some advice. I don't have any way to maintain the battery on a tender.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:43 AM   #15
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonL View Post
Haven't had internet service so I couldn't check this thread the past few days.

I removed it from the battery and now everything seems normal, i.e., my bike starts every time. I don't think it's a battery issue. I think it's the way I had it installed.

If anyone has a suggestion on installing the PDM60 so that it doesn't drain the battery, I'd appreciate some advice. I don't have any way to maintain the battery on a tender.
The PDM-60 will not drain the battery. What were you using for a trigger for it?