User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2009, 08:38 AM   #16
Tripletreat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Idaho

Yep, wonderful pix! Thanks for the ride. I'm down in Boise, very unhappy with myself for not knowing firsthand the beauty of off road adventure in this incredible state. Gotta fix that! I'm thinkin' I should sell one of my road bikes and get an off road vehicle.
Tripletreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:35 AM   #17
uhoh7 OP
wingnut killer

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb
Ohoh7 - Love the pics. Looks like Idaho has some wonderful terrain to explore. Is most of the land you ride ranch land that as long as you respect gate closures is accessible?.
The funny thing about idaho is that although it is totally dominated by republicans, it's mostly an uninhabited communist state. What? 70% of idaho is public land. Untill recently vast tracks were under the wonderful, now defunct, designation "cross-country travel permitted". This was ruined by the rise of ATVs. They were making their own trails all over the place. In the past few years each ranger district has inventoried their trails and designated exactly where you can ride. The closest thing to private land we ride is sometimes crossing mining claims. Ranching is a part of this, though because many ranchers pay the gov to graze their stock on public land.

Despite the increased regulation the legal trail system is so big nobody knows it all. Believe it or not, it's possible to ride from Ketchum all the way to Idaho City almost entirely on single track (takes 3 hours on the highway), though I don't think it's ever been done. On our trails 50 miles is an average amount to do in a day--good workout. 70 miles and you are crying for mercy. Those figures go up if you have some double track riding to connect trails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb
Thanks for the beta on your SX. Do you miss the wide ratio box in the terrain you're riding?
No, I far prefer CR because you always have the perfect gear. What I miss is 6th gear. But I don't ride the SX much anymore as you will see later. I'm waiting for the day when we can go electric and leave the dirty bikes behind. Meanwhile I'm riding........well that's a story coming. The sad truth is that the idaho we inheritied is now dying from carbon pollution----but we will get to that controversy eventually. As many ADV riders know, not every discovery is a good one, whether it's poverty or pollution. Exploration can be bittersweet.

Course that doesn't stop us, in fact it may make us more determined.

We start off, we learn, we grow, we go on.

all the best

uhoh7 screwed with this post 11-15-2009 at 10:05 AM
uhoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:47 PM   #18
uhoh7 OP
wingnut killer

Bustin Out.....

You know the feeling.....

SX is out of the question....

It's early. No one else is riding. Trees down everywhere. Snow in the shade. Not an issue.

On the SX if this move were possible, I'd leave a trench, which I don't like to see and I don't like to do. The GG---you can't even tell where you rode when you inspect the damage.

Definitely first tracks.....

Jeez, kinda nice up here

that intersection way there a mile south of the house

not totally alone.....

stuff grows fast in the spring...

Two weeks later the boys are starting to venture....

hmmmmm

watch that pipe uhoh7

this thing is heavy, thanks AMA minimum weight rule

the long way round...

there must a way to deal with this......

well......let's get serious

OK OK, it's worth it

uhoh7 screwed with this post 11-15-2009 at 01:11 PM
Old 11-15-2009, 01:03 PM   #19
MotoKat
Whine Cooler.

Oddometer: 29,128
Nice. Great pics. I need to get up there and ride one of these days.
MotoKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #20
Ronny Grady
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Nice photos, looks like lots of fun!
Ronny Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:15 PM   #21
uhoh7 OP
wingnut killer

OK time for some more tech

What you are looking at is one of the most advanced motorcycles ever made, and I don’t say that lightly.

First let’s take the obvious: weight. In 1976 my trials bike weighed about 210 lbs and my RM 250 weighed about 230 lbs. Today the equivalent MX bike weighs almost exactly the same (though my SX is lighter). This gas gas weighs 146 lbs. 300cc 146lbs.

You will never see a smaller 300cc motor. It’s incredibly narrow. GG invented the hydraulic clutch, and the lever pull is the lightest of any clutch on any bike. It will rev as high as any MX two-stroke, with great smooth power off idle. It has a 6-speed and will go close to 70 with stock gearing, but of course I’ve never gone that fast. The rear rim is the only tubeless spoked wheel you’ll see, except on other state of the art trials bikes.

That’s the good news. The bad news is that it’s a very specialized bike, not often employed for exploration purposes. Obviously the first issue is range. You aren’t going far with that tank. Most trials guys PACK their fuel on the trail, if you can believe that. You’d think a bigger tank would be no big deal, just send off for it. Hah!

I finally found a picture of this tank on the internet. The only one in the USA is now on my bike.

I had to track down a dealer who actually had one, turns out this was in france, and beg him to learn paypal and take 350.00 for it. I also bought a wildly expensive little seat----from france again.

Now this brings up an interesting point,----what is the deal with the no seat and the huge dip under your crotch? As soon as you ride the bike in a knarly place you understand right away why it’s like this. The dip allows you to catch almost any low speed fall with a dab. Say you are traversing on a narrow trail across a ridge face. On your endure bike if you start to fall downhill, it’s over. Giant bench press of upside down bike coming up. On a modern trials bike you just put your foot down. I don’t care how short you are, anything short of a cliff and you can catch the bike. Not only that, but the center of gravity is so low and the bike is so light, the recovery is effortless.

If you are tall—say over 6’, your lower back will get sore at first on trail rides. There are two things to do about this, get your bars up and forward, and keep riding. Your back gets stronger, and you learn how to adjust your stance to rest it as you ride. On my bike you can sit a bit, but the bike is a little scary to ride sitting. For some reason the handling totally changes.

Bars and risers

Next thing you have to get used to is the tranny. You take your foot off the peg to shift. At first this is a shock, but you soon get used to it. The powerband is so huge you don’t really shift much. 1-4 are close. REALLY close. Closer than any CR on any MX bike by quite a bit. Then comes the “GAP”, and it’s more than just a huge jump in ratio. To make the tranny so small, it’s designed like no other. The result is 4 to 5 is an “interesting” change, up or down. You can’t take it for granted. God knows what is really happening in that box when you do this shift, but you can tell it’s complicated. Often, especially on downshifts you will hit a false neutral, which is frustrating if you are climbing, because you come to stop. Luckily you can start off anywhere and upshift to 4th no problem. The gear gap is probably the biggest drawback to seemless trail riding. I finally addressed this by gearing the bike up to unheard ratios with special sprockets. So my 1st is like most trials riders 4th. Still low enough to climb any pitch with traction, clutch out. 70% of the time I’m riding in 5th, which can go from about 5 mph to 40 mph. On flat ground you can actually start in 5th if you want, with no more clutch work than your KLR. The bike runs like a swiss watch at anything over 0 rpm, when the sweetest 4 stroke is clunking and knocking. I’ve never been on anything like it.

The next issue is overheating. On our terrain every bike boils over on the big climbs—even my SX with those fancy radiators. The thing about the GG is that it does not hold a lot of water, so if you let it boil…….and in the stock setup you don’t notice it easily, well the motor knocks and will sieze if you don’t shut it off shortly.

Adding water

The good news is that if you let it cool and put water back in it, it will start up and get you home. The bad news is that if you got to this point, you will need to replace the O-Rings in the head to avoid constantly overheating from here on out. This only involves 6 bolts, and some clever seating, but it must be done.

O-Rings:

Outer one is fried:

New Nikosil coat

Base gasket, probably went because of early over heat

Replacement, you get an idea of the compact motor

After years of struggling with this issue, I finally have it under control, with two mods. Most important is an overflow tank, and less so, a manual fan switch. Stock, the fan relies on a thermostat to turn on the fan. Problem here is that if the fluid is below the thermostat, it doesn’t turn it on. It only has to happen once. Then it’s back to the o-rings etc. So I turn mine on on any climb or hard riding. Today I can make huge climbs, really on the gas, and it’s no problem. The over flow tank is in my view, so I know if it’s boiling. Worst case, I shut off the motor and it sucks the lost fluid back in and off I go---3-5 minutes tops.

Overflow tank:

Too much mud in radiator, cause I left off the guard..

Next potential fun stopper is your kick starting technique. If you stab at it, you risk breaking the kickstart gear, which then falls into other places and causes all kinds of damage. Thank God I’ve never done this, but early on I was changing the tranny oil, and…….

This is why it’s nice to have two bikes up here. If one is down you can ride the other. I was lucky, and the importer fixed this for me NC, but I did have to send him the motor. No problems and many miles since then.

Jesus, uhoh7, why do you put up with these quirks? Is it really worth it? Oh yes. To the point that today I ride this bike almost exclusively, even though the SX is modded to enduro perfection. The preference goes far beyond the increased mobility in technical terrain.

The bike has unmatched handling on “normal” Idaho single track. Front and rear it grips like super glue, and steers like a laser. You have line control which is inconceivable on ANY enduro bike. That means you can rip and rarely fall. If you ski, it’s like the difference between 1981 223cm downhill boards and modern 170cm carving skis. On top of that they are dead quiet, and have less trail impact than a hiker.

My riding partner finally broke down and found one for himself, and since he got it he barely rides his 09 YZF450.

The crazy thing is that all the quirks mentioned above could be easily addressed by the manufacturer with a “wilderness” edition. All it really needs is different tranny ratios, a little better cooling, and a bolt on tank/seat combo. Unfortunately Gas Gas is oblivious to this fact. There is the Scorpa “T-ride”, but this bike is 200lbs. Forget that—well I’m sure it’s fun, but you give up too much.

One clue that this is all true is that trials bikes are now banned in the premiere enduro-cross class.

2010 GG 300 TXT PRO

uhoh7 screwed with this post 11-15-2009 at 07:36 PM
Old 11-15-2009, 07:24 PM   #22
machalooney
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Whenever I feel like I am all by myself out here, I always find that I am not...
Far from it in fact, now a days I know that there are eyes keeping track of my every movement, just so happened to catch this fella' keeping an eye on me.

The Farm Boss is my choice of log removal, does a fine job and fits well in the Dakine pack.

This evening I was in the Boulders early spring exploring and happened upon a camp looking for a place to rest as darkness set on me quicker than I had planned. Wild locals, Poi spinning and other activities kept me entertained through the next day!

So I'm told, this camp spot was the set of Pale Rider.

As the hours past, the debauchery compounded.

No sleep this night, sunrise upon me and out on a ride to smell the roses!

Up to snow level, messing around the remaining snow drift.

As I worked my way back into Ketchum for at least a few hours rest, my bungalow did not care, "hold it for me" snarled Mr.

And so the summer unfolds.

machalooney screwed with this post 01-09-2010 at 10:36 AM
machalooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:32 PM   #23
machalooney
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Sometimes I venture on my own without the companionship of uhoh7.

machalooney screwed with this post 03-04-2010 at 12:59 PM
machalooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:23 PM   #24
uhoh7 OP
wingnut killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by machalooney
Sometimes I venture on my own without the companionship of uhoh7.
hehe, don't let him fool you, he's far more boring and responsible than his pics let on.....

Typical converstation:

thursday
me: OK what about sunday?
him: oh yes, absoulutely
saturday
me: OK we are set, right?
him: ahhh, well I have to watch my kid in the morning, and I think one of my employees is sick--I might have to fill in.

He does play the wildman online.....hehe.

Here's the worst thing I ever saw him do:

and of course, in the backcountry, that's were the rangers will tell you are supposed to pee----well a stream is better.

uhoh7 screwed with this post 11-15-2009 at 11:54 PM
Old 11-16-2009, 12:34 AM   #25
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,104
Read EVERY word and looked at every photo

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:34 AM   #26
Dessert Storm
Dances With Drunks

Oddometer: 768
Wow, what a place! Great report and photography

(Manti are dumplings not all too different from gyoza or pelmini) - Tourist.
Dessert Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:11 AM   #27
Enmerdeur
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
OK time to get back up to the Stanley Basin. Haven't been there in few years and your report is giving me withdrawals.
Enmerdeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:10 AM   #28
uhoh7 OP
wingnut killer

Glad you guys are enjoying the thread, much more to come.

here is the latest bombshell in the trials bike world

fuel injected two-stroke

Old 11-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #29
dankahuku
stuck on an island

Oddometer: 8
nice riding,insane scenery can't wait to see it.We ride two strokes and trial'ers over here too.Those little bikes are awesome,just not built tough enough for a 240lb rider on a budget.
Idaho looks like the place to ride,I hope all the secret trails stay a secret.I've seen our riding areas shrink down to almost nothing in the past twenty years,now its 99.9 percent( ride at your own risk of prosecution )trails or pavement.

dankahuku screwed with this post 11-16-2009 at 11:20 AM
dankahuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:46 PM   #30
uhoh7 OP
wingnut killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankahuku
nice riding,insane scenery can't wait to see it.We ride two strokes and trial'ers over here too.Those little bikes are awesome,just not built tough enough for a 240lb rider on a budget.
Idaho looks like the place to ride,I hope all the secret trails stay a secret.I've seen our riding areas shrink down to almost nothing in the past twenty years,now its 99.9 percent( ride at your own risk of prosecution )trails or pavement.
That's happened all over, but idaho is the anomaly. While cross country travel has been basically banned, it is permissible to leave the trails in many areas to access your camping site---which of course could include lunch, hehe.

The legal single track trail system is almost unimaginably vast, and is now being documented, ranger district by ranger district.

The biggest enemy are the clubs and groups who come in and race each other, tearing up the hillclimbs and cutting the corners. About 30% of the riders just behave like complete assholes.

The saving grace is that the riding population is small. We very rarely see anyone out there. I'm not to worried about ruining the place with this thread, because the logistics of getting to the trails is very daunting, and riders are going to be too beat up to explore beyond small parts of the system.

Even at it's most abusive, OHV travel damage in idaho cannot compare to mining, grazing, forest fires, and climate change.

I maybe should add wildlife, because the backcountry is riddled with game trails. Those damn elk, don't they care?