Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2009, 06:26 AM   #61
mattc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_BILL_strom
....after reading that thread and looking at those awesome pics, I'm really missing my (really) old trials steed. I had an ancient Yamaha TY-175 and it doesn't hold a candle to that GG but it was my favorite bike ever to just ride. More fun in any type of terrain.

I gotta tell ya, I really want another dedicated off road bike and after seeing this thread, my mind is back to getting another Trials bike. Way to go man...you have refired my boilers for these really awesome machines (I just wish they made a model you can park your ass on for more than a minute without regretting it!).

Great shots!!!!

I'm with you, man!

This thread really opened my eyes to trials bikes... so much that I got a used GG on Monday! Can't wait to learn to ride it well.

Thanks for the great thread, and the even better pictures of your beautiful 'neighborhood'.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:59 AM   #62
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_BILL_strom
(I just wish they made a model you can park your ass on for more than a minute without regretting it!).
You might look into the Scorpa T-ride(if cost is no object):

http://www.scorpausa.com/?trigger=bi...keid=tride250F

Hijack over.
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:07 AM   #63
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,306
WoW! Wishing I was about 40 years younger. I assure you, South most Louisiana trail riding is totally different.

An '00 KLR 650, An '07 1250S, An '03 5.3L Chevy Truck + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:16 AM   #64
machalooney
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by skamikazee
Quick question... where's the air intake on a trial bike?

by the way.... i find this thread better than the front page candidates
The airbox is located under the lowest point of the saddle. It is pretty well enclosed and protected from taking on splashing and moving water. Inside the air box, a water shield protects the air intake from any incoming water. And of course, a big drain at the bottom of the box. Bottom line, don't drop the bike in the creek! Although, I've seen a few submerged mx bikes come back to life with some urgent draining and drying out.

Trail by trials, unbelievable fun. Hey uhoh, uhhh... - where's the gas station up here?

Gonna have to pack it in!

By packing extra gas can's, I can go about 50 miles of pure single-track between 6000'-10,000' elevation. After about fifty miles, you are drooling to get back to the boat for a massage...

machalooney screwed with this post 01-09-2010 at 10:25 AM
machalooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:15 PM   #65
skamikazee
Noviço

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by machalooney
After about fifty miles, you are drooling to get back to the boat for a massage...

I haven't done a mile and am already waiting for the massage!

When i thought those landscapes couldn't get any better!
Old 12-03-2009, 05:19 PM   #66
Tyler259
n00b

Oddometer: 3
All I can say is wow! Some amazing shots & views there.
Tyler259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:39 AM   #67
ryanwilliamcantrell
Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer: 3,820
Great shots.

I've been up Railroad Ridge several times in the past few years. Last year, I look the trial out of Jimmy Lake a ways, but got the the rock in your picture, and decided my XR650R was too big for that trial, and turned around and wend back at the next wide spot in the trail. The Chinese Wall is gorgeous (up on RR Ridge).

ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #68
PistonPants
Crankcase Scavenger

Oddometer: 330
Outstanding RR!!! Off roading at its very best! You guys appear to have a similar style and aesthetic sense of going for a trail ride as we do here in AK. No need for street legal dual sport bikes. My riding partner rides an old Gas-Gas 320 Pampera. A fine and capable motorcycle.

The overheating Gas-Gas has been a problem with some of the long ass climbs into the backcountry. OEM Gas-Gas overflow reservoir is pitifully small and under the seat. Inaccessible. We re-engineered the overflow to hold 22 oz. Works a lot better!

I doubt he's ever taken the head off. it doesnt seem to spew coolant from the head or base.

Good job riding out there in the backcountry and showing us the images of your fun!

Big Thanks!

Piston
PistonPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:36 AM   #69
machalooney
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonPants

The overheating Gas-Gas has been a problem with some of the long ass climbs into the backcountry. OEM Gas-Gas overflow reservoir is pitifully small and under the seat. Inaccessible. We re-engineered the overflow to hold 22 oz. Works a lot better!

I doubt he's ever taken the head off. it doesnt seem to spew coolant from the head or base.

Piston
Love the creativity!

machalooney screwed with this post 01-30-2010 at 06:53 PM
Old 12-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #70
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler259
All I can say is wow! Some amazing shots & views there.
+1
'12 NC700X/D
'08 TW200
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:55 PM   #71
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by machalooney
I think you're right! Great pics!

Here is another answer for winter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmTg9anU6F4
Not sure how I missed this...wow...epic!
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #72
uhoh7 OP
wingnut killer

Oddometer: 862
further thread updates are coming, but in the meantime two vids which should be familar if you got this far: there are one or two duplicate shots

Old 12-16-2009, 11:00 AM   #73
bajabunk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
COOL VIDEOS!!!! Looks like some great riding!
bajabunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:49 AM   #74
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 96,466
Great stuff.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:46 AM   #75
machalooney
Gnarly Adventurer

It's 2002, I am told I can't fly in the military because I have Mitral Valve Prolapse. Momentarily stunned, I regroup and devise a new plan. Instead of moving back to Seattle to become a mortgage salesman like everyone else I knew, Sun Valley was yelling my name! It was settled, packed up the truck and moved my ass on 12/31/2002 from the rolling fields of the Palouse to the mountains of south central Idaho to meet new people and ride new landscapes. I have a truck, YZ250F, Degree, curiosity and an open mind.

GO COUGS

Soon I meet uhoh7 and all of a sudden a mission begins that would change my life!
uhoh7: You want to go explore?

me: m'kay.

Mind blown.

In one summer, we covered the tip of the ice burg. Or so I am told... It was more like finding the ice burg then trying to figure out how big it really is.

Riding late afternoon into twilight is magical.

But with the aesthetic beauty of the countryside along with momentary feelings of complete oneness between you and the bike, you are always reminded that you are on a machine with many moving parts. Out in the field, mechanical issues are inevitable.

I was immediately tested how to critically think of the preparedness and problem solving techniques needed to make your way out of unfortunate situations.

Look closely at my water pump cover. Liquid Steel is your friend!

Fixed.

Only twenty miles back to the truck, let's hope it holds.

"Gently", ha!, riding back to the truck hoping not to blow all my creek water and fry my engine, I soon can not change gears. WTF! At the top of a pass, uhoh7 and I soon discover the reason why. Look close and see if you can find the missing piece?

Somewhere along the line my shifter and shaft sheared right clean off. Now I am stuck in 4th gear, 15 miles from the truck with about 15,000' of elevation gain/loss ahead.... All I can think of is, once I get the bike started again, there ain't no stoppin' me, WFO back to the truck!

A bit surprised, I roll back to the truck without a stall or stop. Hallelujah.
~uhoh7 just chuckles and says, "good job!"

In reflection, I know spending the night out in the mountains accidentally is easily possible. Having a few "just in case" items packed along for "day tripping" is a must.

Now, I plan on retrofitting my YZ450 to pack overnight gear for the sole purpose of spending the night somewhere. I bet I can ride single track the entire time and tour almost all of Idaho. That adventure is in the making.

machalooney screwed with this post 04-02-2010 at 05:07 AM