Oddometer: 296
more pics of the honeys
2008 Yamaha WR250
flyingz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #77
skamikazee
Noviço

Oddometer: 245
Having a really bad day, and your post, with all those beautifull pictures where just enough to take my mind of reality for a litlle while!
One of the best threads in this forum!
Keep'm coming!
Cheers
Old 01-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #78
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoh7
The funny thing about idaho is that although it is totally dominated by republicans, it's mostly an uninhabited communist state. What? 70% of idaho is public land. Untill recently vast tracks were under the wonderful, now defunct, designation "cross-country travel permitted". This was ruined by the rise of ATVs. They were making their own trails all over the place. In the past few years each ranger district has inventoried their trails and designated exactly where you can ride.

Out of curiosity how many riding opportunities do you feel you have lost due to the new travel management? I would guess a ton - going from wide open to closed unless mapped open.
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #79
uhoh7 OP
wingnut killer

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by error cooled
Out of curiosity how many riding opportunities do you feel you have lost due to the new travel management? I would guess a ton - going from wide open to closed unless mapped open.
Well, one look at the terrain should tell you cross country travel was something rarely excerised. In the mountains of idaho you need a trail, and not just any trail---unless you are going down---even then the trail has to be somewhat maintained--down trees especially.

I would say the mileage of rideable trails in the mountains is near an all time high today. Yes, we may have lost 10% here and there, but we have also gained in trails which are now actually ridable. Some old hands might disagree, and mention areas where they liked to ride---not many in our area. Around Idaho City maybe. North Idaho I think has lost some nice stuff--but California is closer to us.

Are there some nice trails I'd like to see open which are not? Sure.

But there are many, many more I have yet to put a wheel on after ten years of pretty determined riding.

To get on with the story, which is far from over:

about an hour west is a big mountain

The views above looking north at the south side

below the north side

Maps were not the greatest when we started rding in this area, and I made a number of probes before I was able to get a big picture a develop a serious plan.

Finally ready:

well, it will be hot in the rig, even in the shade with windows down

suit up!

let's get moving

as usual, pics follow route, but are taken from a number of rides--sometimes showing us going the wrong direction, hehe

baaaaaa

Someone got so excited they bought a little house nearby

uhoh7 screwed with this post 01-10-2010 at 10:54 PM
uhoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #80
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Well, one look at the terrain should tell you cross country travel was something rarely excerised. In the mountains of idaho you need a trail, and not just any trail---unless you are going down---even then the trail has to be somewhat maintained--down trees especially.

I would say the mileage of rideable trails in the mountains is near an all time high today. Yes, we may have lost 10% here and there, but we have also gained in trails which are now actually ridable.

Are there some nice trails I'd like to see open which are not? Sure.

But there are many, many more I have yet to put a wheel on after ten years of pretty determined riding.

That is good to hear. That is some beautiful country - I hope to get out there soon. Thanks for the response!
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:30 AM   #81
machalooney
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingz06
more pics of the honeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by skamikazee
Having a really bad day, and your post, with all those beautifull pictures where just enough to take my mind of reality for a litlle while!
One of the best threads in this forum!
Keep'm coming!
Cheers
I know the feeling, glad we could help! For sure, much more to tell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by error cooled
Actually, some of the ranger districts around here, specifically Fairfield, are managing two wheeled trails better and better each year. I'm impressed. They either have a team of 10 people and horses with chainsaws and tools to repair and rehabilitate trails. Or, XR400's prepared to head out with tools and chainsaws.

A trail that was truly completed minutes after we ran into a trail crew lunching at the top of this pass: if you look close, you can see the freshly tilled trail through some loamy, sagebrush infested terrain. I was the first bike to ride this new trail, lucky me.

A lot of trails are being rerouted to best accommodate horses and bikes all the while minimizing deterioration from run-off, fire, and use. We maintain a great balance at the moment.
Sitting in a hot spring after a ride one evening, a forest worker was also relaxing and he started chatting me up about the trails out here and what I think would be beneficial and where. Again, I could tell that management for the most part really wants to help. I don't see much foreclosure in the future.
If riders come to visit, I just hope they don't behave like wankers tearing up the trails, cutting corners, and we will be ok.

machalooney screwed with this post 04-02-2010 at 06:16 AM
machalooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:36 AM   #82
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by machalooney

If riders come to visit, I just hope they don't behave like wankers tearing up the trails, cutting corners, and we will be ok.
Exactly. The distance this is away from many people will be the ultimate filter. And it's worth it.
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #83
machalooney
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer
Exactly. The distance this is away from many people will be the ultimate filter. And it's worth it.
You should get back up here and spend a few days this summer. And bring a trials bike along with your ktm.

machalooney screwed with this post 04-02-2010 at 06:17 AM
machalooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:12 PM   #84
Enmerdeur
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I am coming up in this August. I have been away too long.
Enmerdeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:45 PM   #85
PistonPants
Crankcase Scavenger

Oddometer: 415
Off Road Gods

The quality of this thread; the terrain, the photography, the riding skilz...You guys do it right! Top shelf ride report! Keep the goods coming.

Peace

Piston
PistonPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:48 PM   #86
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,722
wow.. absolutely beautiful country.. i can't believe you can just ride on all that ground.. that is foreign to us in the midwest.. you wanna ride you gotta go to 1 of 3 parks in the state or go stealth or keep it in the gravels...

count your lucky stars!!

Adventure Tshirts | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #87
uhoh7 OP
wingnut killer

If you've followed this thread the incredible idaho mountain country may have started to seep into your head. Add the heat, cold, sage and a thousand other smells. Imagine you are falling into the images. Feel a sharp shiver when your wheel hits a rock you have not seen and you almost or really do leave your motorcycle and roll the dice for a nice landing or serious injury in the wilderness.

The country enters your bloodstream. Like a religion, it frames your thought. You have fallen to the realm of deep emotional relations, spun, tossed, enveloped.

Then something big happens.

On August 17th, 2007, I went out on a ride by myself into the big eastern range 30 miles from home. I took the Gas Gas. All shots in this post were taken that day.

It was hot, and it had been very hot for weeks. You worried about your hot pipe and your hot discs. You worried about the places you loved to ride. But we had seen a number of hot summers---so far the cataclysms had been far away.

For some reason I was especially in dread of a fire near Castle Creek or Warm Springs Ridge---I think because we really liked this area and had often taken shelter from lightning riding there-- it was west of my house and about forty miles west of the pics above.

I looked over that way.

Lightning had struck in the upper reaches of warm springs and a fire started in a valley near Castle Rock. It was a small fire at first. 3 Smoke jumpers dropped in and nearly got it when it was just a few acres in size. But it reached debris in an old clear cut on the south valley wall. I did not know about it till the following afternoon, when I took these shots.

As I rode back I wondered what would happen. Likely the fire service would get it, but.....

uhoh7 screwed with this post 01-12-2010 at 09:39 PM
uhoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:40 PM   #88
Max Buffet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Oh, man. What have you done?
All kinds of people will be streaming into our beatiful state and it's too crowded already!
Seriously, beautiful shots!
You should have told them about the vast numbers of viscious rattlesnakes, though.

Not to be too much of a buzz-kill, but if that aircraft wreckage was within about 20-30 miles SE of Hailey, A friend of mine died there.
Max Buffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #89
uhoh7 OP
wingnut killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Buffet
Oh, man. What have you done?
All kinds of people will be streaming into our beatiful state and it's too crowded already!
Seriously, beautiful shots!
You should have told them about the vast numbers of viscious rattlesnakes, though.

Not to be too much of a buzz-kill, but if that aircraft wreckage was within about 20-30 miles SE of Hailey, A friend of mine died there.
Don't worry my photo bandwidth will run out by spring and the whole thread will be little blue "photobucket" ads.

The wreak is way over in danskin, but sorry to hear about your friend.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:08 PM   #90
Max Buffet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Don't worry my photo bandwidth will run out by spring and the whole thread will be little blue "photobucket" ads.

The wreak is way over in danskin, but sorry to hear about your friend.
Again, great shots! I'm just a little over-protective, I guess. I miss the days when Boise was the size of Nampa and there were no phones once 20 miles North of town, "CB Channel 9 for emergencies"...
Thanks for showing the beauty that still exists!
Tell 'em about the rattlesnakes and 3-foot leeches, though
Max Buffet is offline   Reply With Quote