User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
mcfear OP
now known as many things

Oddometer: 2,588
mcfear does it again

i write this broken hearted, tried to jump and only farted.

im actually writing this from tksmith's place having just finished day 2 of his adventure training thing. im going to be doing up a report later on tonight, but would like to say, today was a day of firsts. today i had my first "off" on the DR and i also finally looped a motorbike.

tksmith was gracious enough to even get it on camera for me. will upload it soon.

we were doing some drills on this embankment thing which was decently steep, which we were using to go up, and on the way down we were going as slow as we could without putting feet down. i managed a couple times to stop completely for a second or two, which doesnt seem like much but actually try it yourself on a hill like the one in the video.

but yes, i ended having a bit of fun and destroyed the reflector on the back of the bike, and ripped the number plate light out . all will be explained when the video launches into cyberspace.

the course is bloody brilliant for this type of riding that we all love, and i reccommend it to everyone that ask's and everyone that doesnt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
mcfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:52 PM   #2
gazz411
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Well done mate. Sounds like you had a great time and not TOO much damage done to the mighty DR. Im doing the course next sat if its still on. TK????? Am looking forward to it.
gazz411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:57 PM   #3
mcfear OP
now known as many things

yeh gazz, tk says all systems go for the 21st.

that vid is uploading still for all those interested.

the course is very good, and i reccommend everyone do it. aside from learning some good skills the tracks up here are amazing.

no damage to the DR cept the light that illuminates the numberplate got ripped out of the plastic. well the entire lil plastic thing that houses the light and reflector got ripped out. aside from that, theres no damage. but im gonna be looking for some case savers soon just in case.

Quote:
Old 11-13-2009, 10:57 PM   #4
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Oddometer: 12,430
McLoopy

Phil_Fong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:06 PM   #5
mcfear OP
now known as many things

alas, we have video.

i accidently bumped neautral in one part of it.

Quote:
Old 11-13-2009, 11:12 PM   #6
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,861
McUnit you NEED some heavier springs.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:16 PM   #7
Colonial Mick
Nettle Licker

Oddometer: 2,408
Well done !! I had to watch it twice....I recon there is a heap of blokes who have done the same thing
I did mine showing off in front of girls
.. -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. -. .----. - --. .. ...- . .- ..-. .- - .-. .- - ... - .. -
Colonial Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:26 PM   #8
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,023
Nice , I had a good laugh at that one .
No doubt , heavier springs needed .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:34 PM   #9
angryad
Don't drop the soap.

Oddometer: 1,431

mate! that was bloody awesome!!!! good to see someone else can stack their bike in silly ways! I was beginning to think i was in some kind of exclusive club........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=pQk4k_xXC3k
angryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:56 AM   #10
RM370
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253

Now also known as Mcflip..

Seriously mate...I think we've all been there..you were just unlucky someone had a camera rolling...lol

I wouldn't mind doing this course myself...any details?
RM370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:59 AM   #11
AUS CRUZER
Lets Cruz

Oddometer: 2,409
AUS CRUZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:10 AM   #12
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,055
Pity about the damage, but better to do it under`controlled` conditions than on the street. Now, fix the lights and get your effing suspension done.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:55 AM   #13
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,362
Thumb Oh McLoopy... you've done it again...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe

McUnit you NEED some heavier springs.
+ 1 Exactly!

Hi McFlip!

Condolences on the stack mate... but you can't make an omlette if you don't break a few eggs... so they reckon.

About the SPRINGS thing... Yeah mate, as DRJoe said heavier springs mate... I dont think maxing the preload, after market emulators and some heavier oil is gonna do it for you I'm afraid...

I know it was not much of a scientific video to draw a heap of conclusions from, but the mere fact that both the front and the rear suspension on your bike appear to be in the final third of the suspension stroke (compressed) when you are standing on the bike almost stationary... tend to indicate that the basic ride height/statig sag (preload) both front and year of your bike are undersprung as is for your size/weight (your only a shy little bit of farming lad eh?! ).

ATGreg started a really good thread here in the Oz forum a ways back on basic suspension tuning etc. with a heap of links and so forth on set up etc. A couple of which explain it in very simple basics, so the average punter can come up with a good basic set up, without having to make it all to complicated. You should spend a half hour in there...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318553

But from the basic picture you can see from your little video... you need to beef things up from the spring rate side of things front and back. Pretty simply, and offroad/dirt/enduro/mx bike needs to be set up with a it's static sag and ride height set up correctly in order to function to it's full capacity when ridden. There are different shools of thought as to how much sag etc. (a lot of these are explained in the thread I mentioned) and a lot depends on what type of riding you do (gravel touring, trail riding, enduro, mx) and how aggressive (social trail, medium club enduro, pro desert racer) etc.

But a basic rule of thumb is; that when you are seated in the riding position on your bike, both feet on the pegs (NOTE:* with all your riding gear on!), then the compression of the wheel travel in the rear should be somewhere in the range of 30 - 40% of the unladen bikes free travel length. The front (depending on type of bike etc.) will be some where around 25 -30% of the free travel length.

*There are posts/links that explain how you do all this in the thread that Greg posted (maybe a link here), but a point one point I will make here is it is important to do it with ALL your gear on. A lot of people set up their bikes spring rates/suspension using their OWN body weight and dont allow for the extra riding apparell (back packs saddle bags etc. ALSO if you ride the MAJORITY of time with these) and end up riding with a set up that is still 15 to 30% too soft for them.

In the examples I've seen at different riding schools and just generally around the place, I would conservatively say that somewhere between 40 and 60 % of the dirt and offroad bikes out there today are not "set up" correctly in regards to the basic static sag... Often they are UNDER sprung (ie. too doughy) and a lot of it comes from the fact that most trail/enduro bikes come from the factory with a spring rate that is at the lighter end of the scale. Understandable really, often the test riders and technicians that do the R & D for these motorcycles use the optimum BMI for a rider demographic as there base calculation... and don't account for the average healthy Aussie's girth when they set the spring rate spec's. So unless your lucky (unlucky) enough to have a bike where the design test rider was Stefan Everts or Giovanni Sala (or you are a jockey)... there is a good chance that your dirt bikes bikes springs (as they rolled off the showroom) are at the softer end of the scale.

Thanks for the feedback McFear(less)... I for one would like to give you a pat on the back... It takes a fair deal of character to put yourself out on here on video as the forums "laboratory rabbit", but you do so, always with a quick remark and a gleam in your eye. Good on you mate... good luck with the progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 11-15-2009 at 02:04 AM
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:31 AM   #14
fooledagain
midlife crisis?..bullshit

Oddometer: 281
Anyone else having trouble with the video not loading (white background only) or is it just me. I'd hate to miss any part of Grasshoppers learning curve.

It now appears all videos will not load ? ..... might be a site thing?

I'm just not addicted to shiny shit (regie308)

Please contact the Administrator if your date of birth has changed.

fooledagain screwed with this post 11-14-2009 at 02:45 AM
fooledagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:06 AM   #15
mcfear OP
now known as many things

http://www.youtube.com/user/mcfear19.../0/nzAi2ZWoQTI

try that mate.

yeh troy, getting some heavier springs as soon as the budget allows. nearly there, but not quite yet.

got vids of the bike after when trying to trailside repair it but will upload them tomorrow.

Quote: