Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
Desert2202 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
The "ROCK" Way Down

Hi All,
Bought myself a used R1100GS with 33,000km on the clock recently so I decided to take it on an over night run to the Biggest Monolith in the World Ayers Rock in Central Australia.

The "Rock" is 450km South West of Alice Springs (my home town) and is a HUGE tourist attraction. It costs a fortune to stay at the resorts down there, but for locals it's 50% off the normal price. As it's Summer I decided not to camp and take an air conditioned room.

Although there are 4 fuel stops on the way to the Rock, I decided to take some extra fuel with me as I planned to run her dry to see just how far I can get out of the tank on the (new to me GS). As it turned out I got 435km when she ran out, just 15km short of the Rock

Here are a few pictures, my first stop was "Jim's Place" 90km south of Alice for a drink stop. It was 35 degree's Celcius (95 F) so I made sure I kept up the fluids.

Then on to Erldunda where I turned West onto the Lasseter Highway.

You gotta love our speed limit, the highest in Australia. It used to be Open (as fast as you like) then a few years back the government decided to use their power and put a limit on us

100km before you get to the Rock there is a lookout to view Mount Connor, a flat top like those in Utah USA. Most tourists think it's the Rock and are fooled every time. It's quite spekky.

I past a few large sand dunes

Then made it to the Rock after 6 hours, mainly due to photo and drink stops

It's a big lump of hard sand stone in the middle of no where, I guess the last remenants of millions of years of erosion. It is 1143 feet high and 11km around the base.

You can climb the Rock, although I didn't this time here is a picture of when I took the family down in 2007.

The rest of the shots below are from the bike trip.

The next day I rode home along the same route, it was a great introduction for me and the (new to me) GS, this is sure to be a long relationship

Desert2202 screwed with this post 12-28-2009 at 08:48 PM
Desert2202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:09 PM   #2
Ronny Grady
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
nice photos and nice new to you bike.

Isn't it supposed to be bad luck to climb uluru?
Ronny Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:59 PM   #3
Desert2202 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny Grady
nice photos and nice new to you bike.

Isn't it supposed to be bad luck to climb uluru?
The local Anangu Aboriginal people "ask" that you dont climb it out of respect, but if they closed it, they would lose 10's of Millions of dollars a year. Hence it's climbable unless the heat is above 35 degree's Celcius.

It is bad luck to take pieces of it home with you which many have and sent back those pieces because of bad luck.

Here's my toy after a Christmas scrub