ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
joe camarda OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Oddometer: 180
Suz VStrom 650 vs BMW F650GS

By way of background, I recently posted to Craigslist to trade my DL650 VStrom (plus cash) for a late model BMW GS (long shot, I know). Thinking that a GS owner might want to downsize for financial or other reasons, and might be appreciative of the accessories I've added to the Wee, I might not suffer the "farkle" value loss we all know too well. I honestly hadnt considered the F650GS when I made the post as I was interested in the R series GSs. But as luck would have it, someone responded with a tentative offer re the twin (F650GS) and I'm curious.

So....would anyone care to venture an opinion regarding which of these two bikes (DL650 VStrom or F650GS) would be better suited for the long haul at sustained high speed?

I know that slabwork is NOT the "forte" of either bike, but would one get the nod over the other? Or would I be trading my Wee for a bike no more or less suited for slabwork than my Wee.

Thoughts and comments from the Collective would be appreciated

joe camarda screwed with this post 11-14-2009 at 05:24 PM
joe camarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer
 
mousitsas's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Oddometer: 2,588
The wee is a far better highway bike than the the F8 twins, due to better seat and larger fairing. So, if this is the intended purpose of use, it is not a good idea to change. Both F8 bikes though are better off the road than the wee and they have more enjoyable engines.
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:24 PM   #3
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe camarda
So....would anyone care to venture an opinion regarding which of these two bikes (DL650 VStrom or F650GS) would be better suited for the long haul at sustained high speed?
I cannot really compare with the F650GS (though I have driven one, but only briefly), but I have a F800GS and my wife has a 2006 V-Strom DL650. They are definitely different - please, this is no bashing in any direction, this is my personal opinion of the two bikes we have and which I both ride regularly:

Suzuki better / nicer:

- more weather protection (our's has a huge Givi windshield)
- handles a bit lighter on tight backroads (19" front wheel, F800GS has 21")
- tubeless tires (same as F650GS)
- way better seat
- less vibration above 5000rpm
- blinker switch, overall switches (ergonomics of the switches just makes more sense)

BMW better / nicer:

- way better brakes
- better acceleration
- more "planted", feels way more stable (highway or backroads doesn't matter)
- better suspension
- less vibration below 5000rpm, overall smoother engine
- WAY nicer gear box / transmission


Overall, both are really good bikes, but I really think you can actually feel the price difference between the two and for me, it was worth even the difference up to the F800GS, though I wouldn't mind having an F650GS either. I'd actually prefer the F650GS over my F800GS as I neither need the power, nor the big front wheel, nor the height, nor the two brake disks in the front. But okay - someone wants to switch?

I don't really need the differences between the two Beemers, I only wanted one at the time I was looking and the F800GS was available while the F650GS had a couple months delivery time.

Coming back to the Suzuki and F650GS comparison, I absolutely prefer the Beemer over the V-Strom. I like the brakes and engine way better, it feels more solid and the one thing I miss can be solved with an Aeroflow windshield or so. I think the F650GS is a real upgrade, but others might like the DL650 characteristics better so this is my personal take on this.

With regard to highway:

I think the F650GS is better than the V-Strom IF (!!!!) you add solid wind and weather protection. I haven't ridden with an Aeroflow yet, but reviews are raving and I think it can catch up with the Suzi in that respect.
__________________
For sale for R1200GS: Aeroflow Off-Road Screen
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:28 PM   #4
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,192
strom. it a multi-cyl v-twin making 70hp.
it will cruise comfortably 80-90 all day.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
strom. it a multi-cyl v-twin making 70hp.
it will cruise comfortably 80-90 all day.
So? The new F650GS is a twin and has 71hp.
__________________
For sale for R1200GS: Aeroflow Off-Road Screen
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:30 PM   #6
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,192
?
my strom is smooth all the way across the rpm range.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cug
I cannot really compare with the F650GS (though I have driven one, but only briefly), but I have a F800GS and my wife has a 2006 V-Strom DL650. They are definitely different - please, this is no bashing in any direction, this is my personal opinion of the two bikes we have and which I both ride regularly:

Suzuki better / nicer:

- more weather protection (our's has a huge Givi windshield)
- handles a bit lighter on tight backroads (19" front wheel, F800GS has 21")
- tubeless tires (same as F650GS)
- way better seat
- less vibration above 5000rpm
- blinker switch, overall switches (ergonomics of the switches just makes more sense)

BMW better / nicer:

- way better brakes
- better acceleration
- more "planted", feels way more stable (highway or backroads doesn't matter)
- better suspension
- less vibration below 5000rpm, overall smoother engine
- WAY nicer gear box / transmission


Overall, both are really good bikes, but I really think you can actually feel the price difference between the two and for me, it was worth even the difference up to the F800GS, though I wouldn't mind having an F650GS either. I'd actually prefer the F650GS over my F800GS as I neither need the power, nor the big front wheel, nor the height, nor the two brake disks in the front. But okay - someone wants to switch?

I don't really need the differences between the two Beemers, I only wanted one at the time I was looking and the F800GS was available while the F650GS had a couple months delivery time.

Coming back to the Suzuki and F650GS comparison, I absolutely prefer the Beemer over the V-Strom. I like the brakes and engine way better, it feels more solid and the one thing I miss can be solved with an Aeroflow windshield or so. I think the F650GS is a real upgrade, but others might like the DL650 characteristics better so this is my personal take on this.

With regard to highway:

I think the F650GS is better than the V-Strom IF (!!!!) you add solid wind and weather protection. I haven't ridden with an Aeroflow yet, but reviews are raving and I think it can catch up with the Suzi in that respect.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
Wambo
On the road to nowhere
 
Wambo's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 276
I can tell you of my experience if it helps. I owned a 2004 DL650 for approx 2 yrs (25,000 miles) and I got a chance to demo the 2008 F650GS twice. Pluses for the GS-Stock, It's slightly quicker, lighter feeling, easier to plant your feet on the pavement, and a bit better in the corners. Negatives, it has less wind protection, the seat is even less comfortable than the stock DL650, the headlights are no where as good, and the engine is not as smooth at higher rpms. It also has a smaller gas tank, but the GS may be even more fuel effecient from reported tests. If I was to go with a stock bike choice, I would stay with the DL650. There are, however, better aftermarket seats, and windscreens available for the F650GS. It will never have as good of stock headlights like the DL650, and the engine will (at this point in time) not be as smooth as the DL650 at higher rpms. Future models may change this. I think it is a good start, though, and hope they make it even better.
__________________
So many bikes, so little time

2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Wambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:32 PM   #8
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug
So? The new F650GS is a twin and has 71hp.
my bad. thought he was asking about the thumper as it was a f650gs but now it's called a g650gs. in that case both should cruise nicely at speed.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:35 PM   #9
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
my strom is smooth all the way across the rpm range.
Kind of. Let's put it this way: the F800GS I own is significantly smoother below about 5k rpm and significantly rougher above. The V-Strom doesn't have the variance. I definitely prefer the BMW engine and I still like the DL650 engine a lot.
__________________
For sale for R1200GS: Aeroflow Off-Road Screen
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:48 PM   #10
WoodWorks
House Ape
 
WoodWorks's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Ashland, OR, USA
Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe camarda
I know that slabwork is NOT the "forte" of either bike, but would one get the nod over the other? Or would I be trading my Wee for a bike no more or less suited for slabwork than my Wee.
Having owned both a Wee (>18,000 miles) and an F800GS (>16,000 miles), I'd have to give the slab comfort award (for what it's worth) to the Wee. But that's where the advantage ends. The F800/650 engine is more powerful, the transmission is slicker, the ability to eat up the twisties is considerably better, and in sheer pleasure of riding, it's simply no contest. The Wee is a nutritious bowl of oatmeal, the F800/650 is a steaming plate of huevos rancheros.

David
__________________
David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:13 PM   #11
raider
Big red dog
 
raider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Oddometer: 1,582
I have a K7 Wee.

I recently tested an F650GS, with the high seat and ABS, running on TKC80s.

If I could afford it, I'd trade in a second. The BMW is a better-made, better-quality bike. I don't know the stats, but I found the engine to be much smoother at higher speed, with more grunt for overtaking above 120km/h, and much more torquey at low speed.

The whole bike felt more nimble and less cumbersome, appreciably more solid, and looks a sight better. Oh, and the screen didn't throw turbulent air at my face. Seat wasn't as nice, but you can fix that easy.
__________________
14 R1200GS Adventure
raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:55 PM   #12
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel
 
EnderTheX's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: DFW Area, TX
Oddometer: 2,707
To exacerbate the debate I declare both the DL650 and the F650GS as chick bikes... Now who wants to challenge my heavily modified 08 SV650S in the twisties or my heavily modified F800GS in the twisties and dirt? lol...






yes it is late in the night and yes I am looking for a fight.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:24 AM   #13
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy
 
JoeyBones's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Charlotte, Y'all
Oddometer: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
multi-cyl v-twin
Beats the shit out of those single-cylinder v-twins....



Sorry couldn't resist.
__________________
One State left to ride: Hawaii. IBA #48773
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:15 AM   #14
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
To exacerbate the debate I declare both the DL650 and the F650GS as chick bikes... Now who wants to challenge my heavily modified 08 SV650S in the twisties or my heavily modified F800GS in the twisties and dirt? lol...

yes it is late in the night and yes I am looking for a fight.
You mean because all those modifications are just diversions from rider inability?
__________________
For sale for R1200GS: Aeroflow Off-Road Screen
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:12 AM   #15
DrDale
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DrDale's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Detroit, Michigan area
Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by raider
I have a K7 Wee.

I recently tested an F650GS, with the high seat and ABS, running on TKC80s.

If I could afford it, I'd trade in a second. The BMW is a better-made, better-quality bike. I don't know the stats, but I found the engine to be much smoother at higher speed, with more grunt for overtaking above 120km/h, and much more torquey at low speed.

The whole bike felt more nimble and less cumbersome, appreciably more solid, and looks a sight better. Oh, and the screen didn't throw turbulent air at my face. Seat wasn't as nice, but you can fix that easy.
Really, a better made, better quality bike? I'm intrigued by the F650 also, but seeing many pages and reports of items like wheel bearing failures because BMW cheaped out on key parts is a bit disconcerting. I suspect the wee will likely be more reliable, and in fact probably is higher quality than the beemer.
__________________
DrDale
06 Suzuki DL650
04 Honda CRF-250X
DrDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014