ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2012, 05:29 AM   #5866
Scotty P
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 11,712
I just got my doo tools back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
But things were getting tense, and I know nothing defuses a tough situation faster than boobies.
Scotty P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:17 AM   #5867
elmo_4_vt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc407 View Post
Don, I would be doin' the Doo right along with you if I wasn't in Indy. Cause I still have to doo it too. Did you buy the tools, or borrow them?
Good luck on the job!
I bought the tools and you're welcome to borrow them, or we can have another garage night if you want some help.

Everything went fine last, but took a lot longer than it should have because of some issues I ran into. The first minor issue is that I was trying to use an Allen key to take off the aftermarket skid plate instead of a torque bit. That little over site probably cost me 30-45 minutes minutes at the start of the job and is just one of those stupid moments you hate to have happen. I had the grinder out and ready to start cutting bolts off when the first one finally came out (with the Allen key) and I realized my mistake.

After that, the tear down probably happened in 45 minutes taking my time and BS'ing and a little . My Doo was in fine shape and my spring still had tension on it, but just barely. It looked like the spring was fully compressed, but must have been just barely stretched to still give tension. It wouldn't have been able to move the tensioning arm any more. I did get a good bit of movement on the tension arm when I first loosened the set screw and the bike sounds much quieter now after the mod.

Got a bit ahead of myself... The main issue I had during the re-assembly is that the starter gear tolerances are horrible. It has a four spoke design, and two spokes cleared the Doo hickey, one barely touched the spring, and the fourth had major interferences with the spring and the new, thicker Doo. I probably spent over 1.5 hours with a dremel, file, and emery cloth to remove half the thickness of the forth spoke and a good 1/16 from the top of the Doo. Pictures will follow, but I think it should be fine. Just took too long because of the poorly manufactured part.

They weren't kidding about it being hard to get the bolt off... I was so temped to just use an impact gun.

Taken apart:

Still some tension:

New Doo installed:

The impacting area:

Lots of grinding.. I was scared to take too much away with a real grinder.

That's it... 5 hours from start to cleaned up... Hope it was worth it.

Don

-

'07 KLR 650
elmo_4_vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:03 AM   #5868
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,166

20% Smug Mug Credit
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:48 AM   #5869
tom c
MarkO has my chair

Oddometer: 2,761
Indy Moto GP

Last night we rode into downtown Indianapolis for Motorcycles on Meridian. There may have been other inmates there, but I spotted no stickers. Mostly it was guys that wanted to be seen on their bikes, rather than guys that want to "ride" their bikes.....

This was my favorite KLR at the racetrack:

Spotted at the KTM booth:

Almost bought this for CTom at the Indy Triumph dealer - but then I remembered that he Bruced me, that SOB.....

Here's an 800XC with nice bags - and spare fuel tanks as well:

The MotoGP qualifying yesterday was a mess - Stoner, Spies and Hayden crashed out, all high sides on the rough surfaced track. Hayden is out with a consussion, Stoner is questionable with an ankle injury. The racers do not like this track.
Where's Tom?
tom c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:09 AM   #5870
Hack OP

Oddometer: 3,724
Nice Tomc. Whats with the turn signal mod on the KLR I wonder? And I just noticed your avitar, Enlightened, your a good sport. Have a safe trip.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:12 AM   #5871
Hack OP

CTom and Wayne hope you guys are having a great time and have a safe trip home as well. See ya soon.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #5872
ragnarok762
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
bead riders?

I've noticed several regular DDBs have beadriders or similar on your bikes.

I am considering getting one in the process of the encomfortization of my little SV to make it a bit more pleasant to ride for more than an hour or two. From what I read beads help with cooling and airflow but they don't change a lot as far as the actual ergonomics and pressure points of the seat.

Anybody here have any thoughts they care to share on the topic? Now's your time to evangelize ... either for or agin!
ragnarok762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:01 PM   #5873
RC Pilot
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarok762 View Post
I've noticed several regular DDBs have beadriders or similar on your bikes.

I am considering getting one in the process of the encomfortization of my little SV to make it a bit more pleasant to ride for more than an hour or two. From what I read beads help with cooling and airflow but they don't change a lot as far as the actual ergonomics and pressure points of the seat.

Anybody here have any thoughts they care to share on the topic? Now's your time to evangelize ... either for or agin!
I find the beads to do exactly what they are supposed to; keep your seat/ass interface dry. However, if your seat sucks they are not a big help.

I am currently trying one of these - http://www.thepropad.com/Medium-Tech...-Prodview.html

SO far, only a couple hundred miles on the Pro Pad, I will say this: having upgraded to a Holeshot/Corbin seat a few years ago, I have a good seat. The beads made longer rides easier as the kept monkeybutt away. The Pro pad seems to be almost as good a job and with the gel layer it makes the seat even more comfortable. what I may end up doing is using the Pro Pad as my primary seat cover and use the beads for those really hot days.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:06 AM   #5874
Hack OP

In addition to air movement I think they let you move around on the seat easier. Seem to lessin the pressure from the seat foam pushing up into sensitive areas as well. The only thing I have to compare them to is a stock seat and they are an improvement.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:02 AM   #5875
Bikehigh
Not Dead Yet

Oddometer: 3,774
I've really liked the bead rider, but on some of my longer trips this summer, it hasn't stopped me from getting hot spots and being in some real discomfort, and even pain by the time I was done. I am thinking the real culprit is wearing jeans, either with or without, riding pants over them. Whether it's the pockets, or the seams in the crotch, or the jean material itself, or all three, after six or eight hours of riding I'm hurting. Doesn't matter if I'm using the the beadrider, the sheepskin, or the bare seat. I just ordered up a pair of LDcomfort shorts last week. Gonna give them a try on my next big trip. I'm pretty sure they're gonna be a big help.
Bikehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #5876
sneakyB
Blazin Boss Hog

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCold View Post
Hope everything heals quickly Gary. And just an interjection, if you go to Cat Herders, while everyone else is riding you could hang at the camp with the Dancing Girls all by yourself.wink

Just saying.
She can't hold those pies there forever. I'm still waiting for the "after" pics.
sneakyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #5877
sneakyB
Blazin Boss Hog

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikehigh View Post
I've really liked the bead rider, but on some of my longer trips this summer, it hasn't stopped me from getting hot spots and being in some real discomfort, and even pain by the time I was done. I am thinking the real culprit is wearing jeans, either with or without, riding pants over them. Whether it's the pockets, or the seams in the crotch, or the jean material itself, or all three, after six or eight hours of riding I'm hurting. Doesn't matter if I'm using the the beadrider, the sheepskin, or the bare seat. I just ordered up a pair of LDcomfort shorts last week. Gonna give them a try on my next big trip. I'm pretty sure they're gonna be a big help.
try riding without pants
sneakyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #5878
Fire44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyB View Post
She can't hold those pies there forever. I'm still waiting for the "after" pics.
There is a whole new definition of "eating pie" here!!!

2009 Kawasaki KLR650
Fire44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #5879
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarok762 View Post
...but they don't change a lot as far as the actual ergonomics and pressure points of the seat.
Wrong.

They change both. Especially the pressure points. The first thing I noticed about mine was that they spread your weight across your whole ass. They change the ergos of the seating position because they are 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch think. I might notice that more because of my short, stubby legs.

LD Comfort shorts are highly recommended also. Expensive but worth it.
20% Smug Mug Credit
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #5880
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 5,120
Ah, West Virginia. Words cannot describe....

The road leading to Laurel Fork Campground is worth the ride over....no lie.

And if you ever want a super tour of W VA, ask Wayne (he charges by the mile )