User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
Bartron OP
Bike Punisher

Oddometer: 692
F800GS: High-fender Options

Recently, I've had to rip off the front fender in the middle of the woods to try and ensure my survival despite approaching below-freezing temperatures and cayotes in the distance of the quickly-darkening forest. I have never been so close to using that 'help' button on the SPOT.

I was on the Peace-Athabasca trail in Northern Alberta only to find the last part of the trail impassible and had to turn around and come back from whence I came. This was a problem.

The going in was fun:

On the way down, there was about an inch of snow on the trail and I remember a kilometer long section of steep descending switch-backs. These were sketchy on the way down and I wasn't sure what they would be like on the way back up. Luckily the snow was gone - only to be replaced with sticky clay. The front wheel would lock up in a matter of feet.

The only way to get out alive was to improvise a high-fender kit in the middle of nowhere with minimal tools, in the fading light. I've always wanted to do this but the timing could have been better.

I'll add a pic later on.

Here are the guiding principles and all opinions are valued.

1) Keep dual front brakes
2) Keep ABS
3) New brake lines will be necessary so how to route/arrange them?
4) Fork guards? I was going to cut apart a stock front fender and turn it into fork guards. I haven't come across anyway to tell if any other guards would fit
5) Brake lines at the rotors will have to be guided somehow to the the top. In front of and attached to the fork guard? In back of the fork guard like on the KTM 950?
6) BMW fender is too short to work in wet conditions. Options for extended fenders? Take stock fender off and mount standard high-fender? Mount where/how?
7) How can I bleed to front brakes? Is this something I can do myself or do I need some fancy BMW computerization?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this would be handy.

Let the ideas come forth

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."

Bartron screwed with this post 04-25-2010 at 10:38 PM
Bartron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,792
I bought the Touratech fender kit. I think it will do the job.
Bleeding the front brakes was painless.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/sh...19C4qVu37A1B12
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
Bartron OP
Bike Punisher

Hey John, I've seen this bit of kit but when running semi-agressive front knobbies like D606's there still wouldn't have been enough room for the mud to keep the wheel spinning. The wheel would still lock as it had. The mud was caked on at least an inch at the apex and at least an inch on the shoulders of the D606. Damn, sticky gumbo!

I realize this mod is something that would be useful a whole 1% of the time but man, when that 1% comes, boy will I be grateful.

It took 3 hours to go 200 meters before I ripped that fender off.

BTW, been following your shock-bolt thread with great interest.

:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."
Old 11-15-2009, 09:43 PM   #4
johngil
Reseda, CA

I have run a MT-21 in some gooey mud w/ the stock fender and had no problems. The kit was more of an insurance policy. We'll see.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:47 PM   #5
Bartron OP
Bike Punisher

Yeah, I was surprised when it happened because I had run in sticky mud before when I was able to keep going while my buddy on a GSA with Tourances was picking mud out of his fender every 20 feet.

I wonder if the MT-21 is better at clearing mud.

Nonetheless, it happened and I don't ever want to go through that again. Plus, it looks much better IMO (like the Twalcom/Bitubo F800).

Old 11-15-2009, 10:10 PM   #6
Bartron OP
Bike Punisher

Some pics post Clay Fest 2009.

In case you're wondering, the Rok Strap is supporting the left brake caliper to keep the lines from getting snagged on the wheel and letting me drive the 200 miles to get home.

Would look nice cleaned up.

I remember hearing about some guy down in Oz who had to rip off his front fender to make it home in the outback. Now I know how desperate he must have been.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:15 PM   #7
johngil
Reseda, CA

Better order some fork seals...
Old 11-15-2009, 10:32 PM   #8
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,728
http://itsatdm.smugmug.com/Travel/Hells-Canyon/road-to-hells-canyon-142/558829559_7Ws

There are some TKC's under the mud. Even with no fender, the tire managed to snag the brake crossover line. Either needs a high fender or better operator judgement.

itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:21 PM   #9
Bartron OP
Bike Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil
Better order some fork seals...
Not a bad idea

I'm planning on redoing the front suspension so it would prove an opportune time to change the seals.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:24 PM   #10
Bartron OP
Bike Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
There are some TKC's under the mud. Even with no fender, the tire managed to snag the brake crossover line. Either needs a high fender or better operator judgement.

Damn. That must have been a slog.

So you were running without the front fender but with stock brake lines in place? I took off the left caliper to get the crossover brake lines out of the way fearing a dreaded snag and inevitable picking up of the bike in the mud with muddy hands and everything slipping.

Are you still running without a fender?

Old 11-16-2009, 08:46 PM   #11
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,728
3rd time down in that crap. Took the fender off on the first crash because I couldn't get the mud out, put it back on. Packed up again in about 10 ft. 2nd crash bowed the fender to the point of breaking it in two. 3rd time caught the brake line. I am a slow learner.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:15 PM   #12
Bartron OP
Bike Punisher

The project is progressing slowly. Not much time nor funds around the holidays and still lots of snow on the ground.

Revised plan:

1. Remove F800GS beak. Install proper fender (black KTM 690 Enduro R). Fabricate some sort of fiberglass filler where the bmw beak used to be so the bike doesn't look so ghetto-fab.

2. Convert to single, left-sided brake caliper. This allows keeping the ABS, makes line routing way easier and lowers unsprung mass. Those calipers are way heavy. Likely run a single brake line down the left fork or put in a split at the triple tree - allowing addition of right caliper down the road if stopping power not adequate.

3. Removed the triple-clamp plastic shroud surrounding the horn. Those two bolts that hold it in will hopefully hold the new fender. The horn will have to be moved up and out of the way.

4. Fork guards. Still nothing in the aftermarket available. Initial plan is to use a stock fender and cut it up leaving just the guards. Considering the fender is about 50 quid it's not a bad scenario. Eventually, if someone is so inclined, one can make an adapter bracket to enable use of other fork guards (G450x or G650Xc?)

KTM parts are ordered. Will have to wait for the fender to mod up the spacer. Brake lines are last.

Will post pics once there's something worthwhile to post.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:59 PM   #13
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,702
high fender

This cat has one. but can't seem to get info on it.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=157
Old 12-28-2009, 08:46 PM   #14
Bartron OP
Bike Punisher

Yeah, there was some discussion about Stefano's mods in a previous thread but little concrete info. What I could gather from studying their photos is the following:

1. They obviously removed the stock fender, went to a single brake and custom fabricated the brackets for their fork guards. Unsure as to which fork guards they're using - there are hundreds of possibilites.

2. They did mount half of a fender off the triple clamp to protect the radiator but there is still no real fender. The beak does not provide enough protection when things get thrown up by the front wheel. It must have been enough of a problem that they needed to MacGyver this little fix from duct tape and coat-hangers:
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2009, 08:47 PM   #15
Bartron OP
Bike Punisher

Here's another view:
Attached Images