Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2009, 12:40 PM   #16
dickosaurus
Seasoned Noob

Oddometer: 695
Great ride report and pictures and I can't wait for the rest of it. I'll tell you, Padre is pretty cool and you're a pretty lucky fellow to have a Dad that wants to share rides like this. And he brought an R1 too! Your Padre has some more savy.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:59 PM   #17
NewHampWoodsRider
Tag Captor

Oddometer: 450
Thanks for the enjoyment of this ride report while im at work!
NewHampWoodsRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:24 PM   #18
sailwa66
Captain Cheap A**

Oddometer: 206
Rock on!

Don't TKCs fit the R1?

Ducati Multistrada Adventure Gear: www.strada-avventurosa.com
sailwa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:43 PM   #19
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,301
Nice report. I rode the La Sal Mountain Loop Road on my Wing back in '05 and had a ball on it.

MOAB is one of the really special areas of the country for riding.

Timmer
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:45 PM   #20
fotobo
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,587
Great RR, I'm still tuned in.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:20 PM   #21
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,564
excellent pics, good job taking a D300 with you

btw, when you descend Mineral Bottom, you're on the Green River. If you'd done the WRT you would have gone by the confluence of it with the Colorado, which goes along Potash Rd.

Glad y'all enjoyed Hardscrabble Hill....you would have liked Murphy's Hogsback too

The Dewey Bridge just burned a couple years ago, a youngster started a fire nearby and the field caught....then the bridge. It was a cool structure.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:42 PM   #22
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,460
Wow! Your photos are incredible! Your Dad's pretty cool too.
I miss the WRT!
Thanks!
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:58 AM   #23
Katoom119 OP
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickosaurus
Great ride report and pictures and I can't wait for the rest of it. I'll tell you, Padre is pretty cool and you're a pretty lucky fellow to have a Dad that wants to share rides like this. And he brought an R1 too! Your Padre has some more savy.
Yeah Padre pushes me on the bike more than anyone else. We're about equal on streetbikes but on a dirtbike I can see him for 3 turns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailwa66
Rock on!

Don't TKCs fit the R1?
Yeah we found some but they weren't rated to 180+ MPH. It's all fun and games until you start slinging off knobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird
excellent pics, good job taking a D300 with you

btw, when you descend Mineral Bottom, you're on the Green River. If you'd done the WRT you would have gone by the confluence of it with the Colorado, which goes along Potash Rd.

Glad y'all enjoyed Hardscrabble Hill....you would have liked Murphy's Hogsback too

The Dewey Bridge just burned a couple years ago, a youngster started a fire nearby and the field caught....then the bridge. It was a cool structure.
Thanks! I'm no Sakurama or Jean-Luc so I'm glad they're decent. Thanks for correcting me on the rivers and the Dewey Bridge.

The White Rim and I have unfinished business. I'll be back.

Glad that everyone else is liking the report. I've still got a couple days left to write so I'll get to it eventually.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:13 AM   #24
Katoom119 OP
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Today was going to be a bit different. While we were all used to riding we weren't used to spending 8 hours a day in the saddle for multiple days straight. Over breakfast, again at the wonderful Pancake Haus, it was determined that today would be a tourist day and we would rent a Jeep. We checked the prices at a couple of places and finally settled on Canyonlands Jeep Rentals at the Moab Outfitters (?), the place with the giant H1 Hummer out front. Scott and I picked out a white Rubicon Unlimited, the kid at the desk checked off where all the old battle scars were so we could pay for new ones, and we were off.

Headed into Arches National Park

The rolling hills in front of the arches are the Petrified Dunes, which were sand dunes that hardened into rock eons ago.

Tighter view of the Arches. You'll get some close-ups here in a second.

The block on the left spire looks like it's just waiting on a stiff breeze to blow it off.

We finally got to the arches and started the hike up. This is North Window.

Now as we're walking up Padre, ever the one to notice details that would make Sherlock Holmes fill with pride, sees the crack in the arch's roof. "Wouldn't that suck if the block fell? Who knows what that thing weighs."

So we walk up and while Padre and Scott stand down at the bottom on the trail in front of Turret Arch...

I proceed to hike up the hill and stand pretty much right underneath it. The block in question is directly above where the jet's contrail meets the rock.

It was worth it though. It was every bit of 5* cooler standing there because a breeze was blowing through the arch. Here's looking out the backside of it.

So as I'm standing there taking pictures Dad and Scott come wandering up...

at which point Padre says, "Hey go climb up the other side of the arch and I'll take your picture."

"OK!"

For the record, 8" Rocky boots won't hold a tiny edge very well.

We head further down the (rabbit hole) trail and look at South Window.

There was a primitive trail that hiked way on around the back but we decided against such exercise. Today we were tourists.

In turn we went to Turret Arch. Padre grabbed the camera again and all I heard for the next few minutes was the click of the camera. I think he likes it a lot more than he realized.

Random cairn on the side of the trail. Oddly enough this was 3' from the edge of a 6x6 wooden posts set in the ground as steps and within eyesight of the parking lot.

Back on the road.

John Wayne is there in the distance. You kind of have to squint to see him.

Skyline Arch

Now at this point its around noon, we have a Jeep for the next 22 hours, we're in Moab, and Padre grew up driving his M38A1 along with various CJ's. It's time to find something without pavement.

That'll do.

We turned off the pavement onto Salt Valley road and proceeded to have our fillings rattled out for about 10 minutes. The road was a washboard so finally Padre stopped and said, "We've got to let some air out of these tires. This is insane." We hop out and the BF Goodrich Mud Terrains have 0 flex in the sidewall. None. That means there had to be over 50 psi in them. Since we left our tire gauge in the hotel and Canyonlands Jeep failed to put on in the vehicle we just let air out until we had a nice little flex in the tires. Got back in and it was slightly better. So we got onto the road pictured above.

When Padre was out here back in May he had started down this trail before turning back at the rock ledges. I could see why. It wasn't anything spectacular but when you're riding alone on a 400+ lbs. bike you've just bought and no one knows where you are, it's a good idea to be cautious.

With the Jeep though we just put it in 4 low and with the auto transmission would just turn around and talk to each other. It was like an auto pilot.

I think Padre likes the new JK-series Wrangler.

While we are heading down the trail towards Tower Arch we spot 3 motorcycles hanging out in the shade. They were on 2 KLR's and a Honda 400 (?) and as we spoke I thought, "These guys have to be on Adventure Rider." Turns out it was Dread Pendragon and his gang. They told us about their Idaho Tour and that there was a side road they were going to take back to the main road in Arches.

Finally make it to Tower Arch.

So Scott and I are looking around, happy to see it from a distance, and Padre says, "Look, there are some cairns. Maybe the trail goes that way." at which point he goes off and disappears into the bush.

Scott looks at me:

I look at Scott:

Here's why: This is the first time I've ever seen any landscape where the tallest tree is only 15' high. It's all rock that looks the exact same. Yes, it wasn't very far and while I always pack enough gear and have the knowledge to spend the night somewhere, my concern was if we get turned around too much Haley will be worried sick if I didn't call at dark. As far as I cared I had hiking boots, water, and knew the general direction of Hwy. 191; if I couldn't find the Jeep I'd walk the 10+ miles back to the highway.

Padre, however, grew up in a time where he didn't have to call to let people know he got there safely, partly because of the times, partly because there weren't cell phones. But I digress...

The trail, it turned out, was well marked. If you stood at one cairn and looked around you'd see the next one. Simply walk to it and repeat. First time I'd ever seen a place where you couldn't discern the trail because it was all sand, not a dead line of grass in the woods.

If you look in front of Scott, where the shadow just stops, on the left you'll see the next cairn.

I do my typical mountain goat thing and follow Bear Grylls' advice: I get a view of the land.

Forget "Where's Waldo?" Where's the friggin' Jeep? It's on the top ridge to the right of center.

Not the trail.

The great thing about this trail was it was easy for the Jeep, and since Padre drove in I got to drive out. Scott relaxed in the backseat, happy that it wasn't his custom naugahyde seat on the 690.

I just saw this shot. Padre took this one and it's better than anything I took that day.

About a half-mile from the end of the rocks, Dad's out taking pictures, and then he just turns around, and walks over the top of the hill. No big deal, the trail turns around the side. Well he's not there. Go a little further and still no Padre. I've been looking for his bootprints and don't see them in the sand on the trail. Scott's wondering where he went too and all of a sudden he's behind this tree on the opposite side of the trail. I swear he has to be half Indian or something, he has done that my entire life.

Once we get back to the intersection of Tower Arch Trail and Salt Valley Road, we turn left and drive for about 10 miles, then hook a few lefts back to 191. Drive into Moab, maintain the ritual of the Brewery and the Creamery, and back to bed.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Old 12-01-2009, 08:57 PM   #25
fotobo
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,587
Looks like a fun little diversion there with the jeep.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:51 AM   #26
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
Love that Moab! I just did my first trip there on my KTM 990 too, in fact, I think I may have seen you...

What dates were you there? Sat. Nov 7 by chance? I was at a gas station in town just after dark and saw a herd of orange go passed, and one blue Aerostich. Coincidence? I almost chased 'em down, but didn't have my helmet on.

Great pics, keep 'em coming! SO beautiful out there!
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:09 AM   #27
Jonzilla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Ah.... Crossville boys in Moab. Excellent! Long time no see, Adam. You and I played golf together when we were about, 12 years old.

'07 Kawisaki KLR650
'82 Suzuki GS1100G
'73 Honda CB350G
Jonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:00 AM   #28
Katoom119 OP
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotobo
Looks like a fun little diversion there with the jeep.
Yeah it was a lot of fun. We got to scope out a few trails and rest while we were at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viola-tor
Love that Moab! I just did my first trip there on my KTM 990 too, in fact, I think I may have seen you...

What dates were you there? Sat. Nov 7 by chance? I was at a gas station in town just after dark and saw a herd of orange go passed, and one blue Aerostich. Coincidence? I almost chased 'em down, but didn't have my helmet on.

Great pics, keep 'em coming! SO beautiful out there!

Yeah that would have been us. I kept looking for you but never saw another 990. Bunch of Hondas for some reason though....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonzilla
Ah.... Crossville boys in Moab. Excellent! Long time no see, Adam. You and I played golf together when we were about, 12 years old.
County Junior Golf League. I'm still as much of a hack as I was back then. Good ole' Aubrey King couldn't teach me anything.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:04 PM   #29
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119

Yeah that would have been us. I kept looking for you but never saw another 990. Bunch of Hondas for some reason though....
Cool! I waved and thought one of you may have seen me, but it was dark and the arse end of my bike was facing you (the side that isn't so orange! ). I was riding WRT solo, plus some other trails. Great pics! I only saw a handful of motorcyclists on the trail over 3 days, which was a weekend too. The weather was about perfect in my book!
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:29 AM   #30
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360
Hi Adam, great pic's and report! Keep it coming.
Lot's of those pic's would make a great Corona ad.

I hope to see you before May in Laurel Springs. I plan to get out and try to grab some tags soon. We might bump into each other then.

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote