Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2009, 08:53 AM   #31
reed523
To pedal or not to pedal

Oddometer: 386
Great Pics. Thanks for posting! This cements it. Moab has been on my "should see" list for several years. Now it's at the top of the "must do".
reed523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:45 PM   #32
Katoom119 OP
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,754
Figured I'd better post the final day before I forgot where we went....

My final day in Moab consisted of the same routine: Pancake Haus. It's good, I know the food won't make me hunt for the nearest bush in 30 minutes, and why break tradition? We'd ridden a lot of the trails that were around Canyonlands so this time we thought about heading down a different section. We decided to take Kane Creek Road down over Hurrah Pass and into Lockhart Basin. This was one of the few trails that the Jeep rental place would have allowed us to go so we knew the terrain couldn't be too difficult.

As we headed down the pavement we passed a few caves in the rock wall. Apparently people live here and use them as garages since we saw some car behind a chain link fence. The road started out following the river opposite of Potash Road so the scenery was pretty much the same. It was prime 990 terrain with wide open spaces and decent gravel.

Hurrah Pass looking towards Chicken Corner

When we finally got up to Hurrah Pass we kept on towards Chicken Corner, as a guidebook we bought called it, and wound up on a great, great trail. Lockhart Basin Road is a Jeep trail with sand in some spots but beyond that it's just beautiful. Had I known the trail a bit better and had more confidence in the sand it would not have been difficult to pull 5th gear easily. We finally stopped for a break.

Yeah, pretty sure he was having a good time.

Scott and the mighty 690.

In this picture you can see the trail above the left box, halfway up the image.

We got down to another intersection and I just hammered up the hill, following the GPS since I had put in the end of Lockhart Basin Road as a destination. Anyway as soon as I got halfway up the small hill the rear end started to bury itself in the sand and being the good little dirt bike rider (If in doubt, power out!) I used copious amounts of Whiskey Throttle to get all the way up. Turned around and saw Padre and Scott looking at a sign. After a few minutes of discussion we decided that we'd seen where this trail was heading and headed back out to check on a little side road that we thought would link us back to 191.

So we head back over Hurrah Pass and hook a right onto the trail, can't remember the name right now, and meet a few dirt bikers that confirm it'll come out on 191. That was all we needed to hear and with me in the lead we take off. The trail was by far the roughest thing we'd ridden so far and I sort of went into race mode, hitting a faster pace because the trail got rougher. Eventually I stop because the trail had washed out and when I turn around to point to a bypass I see Dad on his back, the bike on it's side, his right Touratech box 15' behind him, and Scott about to fall of his bike because he's laughing so hard.

Turns out that Dad went up along this bank like I did to get around some rocks but his box didn't clear another rock sticking out of the side. He hit it so hard the box crumpled and popped right off the rack. He was so shocked that when it happened he turned around to look at it and hit another rock in the trail, which kicked him up onto yet another rock before he finally fell over. I would have paid large amounts of money to have it on video.

The aftermath

The left box was completely trashed. He hit the rock so hard that it collapsed the inside portion that has all the hooks on it and popped almost all the tack welds on the bottom. The other side had a dent in it from some rock (?) and bent it so the lid barely fit.

Padre couldn't believe that he'd turned around to look. But he laughed and thanks to the rope (because stupid a** me forgot my ultra long Rokstraps in the room ) we got it tied back on.

Afterwards, we decided that Long Canyon Road off of Potash Road would be a great trip. It would take us to 313 where we would hit Gemini Bridges Trail and then take 191 back into Moab.

On the way out I stopped at the side of the road and took some pictures of petroglyphs.

This was next to my foot.

It roughly translated as "White Man on strange orange pony fall down make thunder".

On the way to Long Canyon

Long Canyon Road photo interlude

"I dare you to go stand over there."

Long Canyon Road was great. Not difficult at all but really scenic. When we finally got back out to 313 we stopped for a while and enjoyed the silence.

While we were standing there we heard some thumpers off in the distance. Turns out it was a few Okies doing Moab and were heading down Gemini Bridges as well. We followed them for a bit until they let us pass and we had a good ride back to the Riverside Inn.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #33
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,353
Cabin fever bump!

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:27 PM   #34
Cazurela
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Thumb Great trip!

Wow! Great pics! Hope to ride there some time
Cazurela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:32 PM   #35
jrqdvantage
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Great pics

We rented a Jeep for a day out in Moab. We saw a lot of great stuff, but it looks like we only scratched the surface. Next trip will be with off road bikes!
Thanks for the great pics!

JR
jrqdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:42 PM   #36
Katoom119 OP
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Talk about shock when I see this on the first page of the RR section.

Thanks for the bump, it reminds me I need to put the rest of the pictures up and fix the ones on the last 2 pages.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Old 02-21-2010, 07:41 PM   #37
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99

Thanks for the sharing.
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #38
motowest
Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
Great pictures! How did I miss this one?
motowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:01 AM   #39
GerryL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
K119-
How'd you carry/protect the DSLR? Padded backpack? I got a D7000 last fall and I'm loving it; I want to take it along with a couple lenses. I have a decent backpack but was also thinking a padded tank bag would improve access for pulling over and grabbing a few shots without losing much time.
GerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:49 PM   #40
Katoom119 OP
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryL View Post
K119-
How'd you carry/protect the DSLR? Padded backpack? I got a D7000 last fall and I'm loving it; I want to take it along with a couple lenses. I have a decent backpack but was also thinking a padded tank bag would improve access for pulling over and grabbing a few shots without losing much time.
I did the tank bag thing on my V-strom and it worked really well. Out in Moab I carried it around in a normal backpack wrapped in a big towel because 1) I don't like the looks of tank bags on the KTM Adventures and 2) if I crashed off the side of a cliff at least the camera was with me and not flipping down the side.

Now I've got a Pelican case that I've cut the foam out of to hold it and I'm putting it on the rear rack. It's all about the same, just what you want to do.

Grab a polarizing filter, though. All the pictures I shot I had to run through Aperature software to bring the colors back. Stupid me forgot mine and that's why most of them were washed out.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:58 AM   #41
WilderRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,742
Hard to beat Moab for fun and scenery. Great report.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #42
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 1,570
I was just searching for pictures of Moab and dualsports and found this thread. Great report. I would love some gpx files of some of these routes if anyone has them. I am starting to plan a trip down there for spring 2012. Planning to ride down fro Calgary so it won't be too early in the season.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:25 PM   #43
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,154
Now I'm 2 years late to discover this but still amazing trip and pictures!

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #44
RTODAHL01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Good write up great pics.
The wife and I have been there 4 times for a week at a time.
We think we have to go back again. we may have missed a trail or two.
Like the color in your pics. Do you have a UV filter on?
RTODAHL01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #45
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,320
Did I miss this great report in 2009 or am I getting so old I forgot already. In the process of planning this year's trip, your RR was a good reminder of places I haven't been in many years and need to go again.

Many thanks.