Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2011, 07:22 PM   #6241
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardracer View Post
FYI...Cycle Gear in Austin and San Antonio has "Bike Night" tonight.
I happened to be at Cyclegear tonight in Fort Worth. They too had bike night. Hooters girls there with wings. I was there with my daughter to drop her off at a welcome back to school function.

The store here doesn't really cater to ADV riders. They can order it for you, but I can order it too and usually at a better price.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:24 PM   #6242
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schickmeister View Post
I'll post this one more time since I think it got lost in the James talk. Although, if the answer is no, thats fine too.

Is there anyone out there that can help me put new tires on my bike if I ride to their place? I'm trying to avoid going to the dealer, and I don't know if I trust the shady places in San Angelo. I'll either tie em to my bike and ride out or maybe even have them shipped to whoever could help out.

Cold beer (or at least money for it) will be involved!

Just curious!

On TWT there is a tread that lists people with tire changers that are willing to do tires. Perhaps you should check there. I'd offer to help you, but I don't have a tire machine. Good luck.

Here's that thread: http://www.twtex.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=105
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R

Dahveed screwed with this post 08-18-2011 at 07:33 PM
Old 08-18-2011, 07:32 PM   #6243
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by super8mm View Post
i wanted to change the ones on my F650 Dakar at home so if i was out i could fix them and keep on goimg. well i got 3 tire spoons and reuglide and gave it a try after some Youtube surfing and did front and rear in about a hour. ony thing i messed up on was mounting the rear in the dark ane mounted it on backwards . i think my total cost for the irons was about $30 for a one time outlay of money

might want to consider it if you are on a dual sport type bike
Thats good advice, if you have intertubes inside your tires. However, tubeless tires like the big ole GSA has are never changed roadside. You just plug them and go. If plugs won't work, you hope your cell phone will. Plus the tubeless tires are harder to change because the sidewalls are stiffer.

If you do get the tire irons, Harbor freight sells a 24" model that provides some good leverage. And its cheap.

Schick, I feel for you. Its tough living without a garage. Look at SOG, wild horses attacked his bike while left outside.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 08-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #6244
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
The store here doesn't really cater to ADV riders. They can order it for you, but I can order it too and usually at a better price.
I haven't seen a Cycle Gear that does. The one in near Bedford did have a rear 606 in stock for the DRZ a couple of weeks ago. I was pretty impressed since they didn't when I called a couple of weeks before that. Of course they may not have restocked since my visit.

I do have a pair of their Built Touringish Track boot things. I'm about to see how good their 5 year guarantee really is....

Oh and I am happy with the boots for what they are and the price they ask for them on sale. They're comfy and have more protection than a hiking boot or something but there's a little plastic piece on the back and just above the ankle that's wearing through the material from the ankle pivoting. IMO they should have never went to market with something so simple being an issue.

veriest1 screwed with this post 08-18-2011 at 07:48 PM
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:50 PM   #6245
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,598
Quote:
I'll post this one more time since I think it got lost in the James talk. Although, if the answer is no, thats fine too.

Is there anyone out there that can help me put new tires on my bike if I ride to their place? I'm trying to avoid going to the dealer, and I don't know if I trust the shady places in San Angelo. I'll either tie em to my bike and ride out or maybe even have them shipped to whoever could help out.

Cold beer (or at least money for it) will be involved!

Just curious!

PM coming.
garf
Old 08-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #6246
Schickmeister
Youngin'

Oddometer: 2,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfey View Post
PM coming.
garf
Old 08-18-2011, 11:15 PM   #6247
Dredthello
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Tire swap

If you're ready for a trip the TX Coast ... bring it on. Hardest part is timing (I work too much and generally get weekday time off). But, tires are easy enough. I'm off Saturday, but we'd be changing with an audience at a beach party in Surfside - biker party - all welcome; even those carrying tires to mount. Tools are easy enough to carry.

Dred
Old 08-19-2011, 04:31 AM   #6248
yardracer
stubborn cow

Oddometer: 983
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2552241001.html

Found this one yesterday. Opinions please!!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2011, 04:34 AM   #6249
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 7,847
Well, dsavage has lost his key to the ADV interweb....or he's been banned. JK. Us oldster non-techy types view all this internet stuff as voodoo anyway. BUT, if he could find the magic key, he would be offering up his well-equipped tire changing shop in Bosqueville to schick. I know because he called me on his 1995 era flip-phone to tell me. lol

Problem is, his weekend schedule and schick's ain't likely to mesh real soon. But Jason, if you do get a weekday off.....call me and I'll get y'all together.

In other news, MY KID COMES HOME TOMORROW . For almost a whole week. That is all.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:34 AM   #6250
yardracer
stubborn cow

Quote:
Im on an GSAdv...I know I could probably do it, but I don't even have a covered spot to do the work in at my apt. complex. Not to mention I dont have any tools with me down in TX.
I don't know where you are and I don't have any tools either but I have a garage I'd be willing to clean up and help "operate". Oh yeah and I'm always willing to go toy shopping!!!!!
Old 08-19-2011, 05:15 AM   #6251
Has Been
Better HB Than NW

Oddometer: 340
Quote:

Buy it. Had the first TWO 175 ITs in MICH. Raced for three years and no problems. If you dont want it tell me. Here is advice on used scooters. Sorry1 you are trying to catch with about 1000 lifetimes of m/c experience in one month.
http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html
Carpe Diem (Big Dave says so)

1999 BMW R1100S
1997 Husaberg FE501E
1979 Husqvarna Auto
Has Been is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:24 AM   #6252
Mr2mch
Cycledelic Hippie

Oddometer: 2,358
Quote:

Honestly, the only thing my husband is definitely interested in is his Star Wars Game. But he does want to learn so have something we can do together. (is that a good thing or a bad thing...????)
The Yammy ITs were never road legal....but some folks have converted them. You'd need to ask the owner about this one.

Back on the kick start issue.....My take is...If your husband has not ridden in the past,he's gonna get frustrated with kicking when all you have ta do is punch the button on yours. I'd err toward the button....

Another couple went thru this same exact scenario a few years ago....The wife took up biking & wanted to get her husband interested,but he had other hobbies well established. After a crash,he lost any interest he had in riding & as far as I kno...they do not share the sport anymore. They do have other interests that they share though.

There's no time like the present....well,cept for maybe that hour when the time changes in the Fall.

cycledelic hippie
Mr2mch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:45 AM   #6253
yardracer
stubborn cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2mch View Post
The Yammy ITs were never road legal....but some folks have converted them. You'd need to ask the owner about this one.

Back on the kick start issue.....My take is...If your husband has not ridden in the past,he's gonna get frustrated with kicking when all you have ta do is punch the button on yours. I'd err toward the button....

Another couple went thru this same exact scenario a few years ago....The wife took up biking & wanted to get her husband interested,but he had other hobbies well established. After a crash,he lost any interest he had in riding & as far as I kno...they do not share the sport anymore. They do have other interests that they share though.
Well, I think today I'm going to show him the bat mobile and see what he says. The friend I work with thought it's street legal since it has a head light and a break light. I was under the impression that you also need blinkers in TX to be legal???? and mirrors.

OK, according to my Department of Public Safety booklet

"Texas law requires the following equipment on Motorcycles and Motor-Driven Cycles: wheel assembly, Exhaust system, Tail lamp (1), Stop lamp (1), License plate lamp,, rear red reflector, head lamp (1), Motorcycle, serial or vehicle Identification number, Horn, Mirror, Steering, Brakes and tires."

I'd have thought some of those parts are rather of the logical kind....how else would you be able to use it....like tires..........

And no blinkers.

Well, I'll let you know once he rolls out of bed and I tackled.

Edit: I don't care if he sticks to it or not. My gal is here to stay come rain, shine or high water. He's actually the one who's more pushing to get one so he can ride with me. That's another reason why I don't want to spend too much money on it.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:51 AM   #6254
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Well, I think today I'm going to show him the bat mobile and see what he says. The friend I work with thought it's street legal since it has a head light and a break light. I was under the impression that you also need blinkers in TX to be legal???? and mirrors.

OK, according to my Department of Public Safety booklet

"Texas law requires the following equipment on Motorcycles and Motor-Driven Cycles: wheel assembly, Exhaust system, Tail lamp (1), Stop lamp (1), License plate lamp,, rear red reflector, head lamp (1), Motorcycle, serial or vehicle Identification number, Horn, Mirror, Steering, Brakes and tires."

I'd have thought some of those parts are rather of the logical kind....how else would you be able to use it....like tires..........

And no blinkers.

Well, I'll let you know once he rolls out of bed and I tackled.

Edit: I don't care if he sticks to it or not. My gal is here to stay come rain, shine or high water. He's actually the one who's more pushing to get one so he can ride with me. That's another reason why I don't want to spend too much money on it.
blinkers, mirrors, horn, rear light, brake light, headlight all needed to pass inspection.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 08-19-2011, 05:51 AM   #6255
yardracer
stubborn cow

BTW, I also looked at this one but it needs work......
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2544316420.html