Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2011, 07:00 AM   #7396
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964 View Post
I have a $230 Craftsman Digital that went haywire within 6 mos of buying. It twisted off a valve cover bolt I went back to my old Craftsman clicker type for now. Sears wants $60 to refurb the digital one. They only have 90 day warranty
What happened to the lifetime warranty Craftsman is known for?

Quote:
I believe it is a 5mm metric cap head allen bolt
Mine were the Torx favor.

Got the old bolt out of the brake caliper and looks like I again have a choice of bikes, as long as I can get the new rear tire installed today.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:04 AM   #7397
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,498
Quote:
What torque were you tightening to? Remember most of the torque specs for BMW are Newton/meters, not foot/pounds. I believe those are tightened to 20 NM which is about 14 Ft/lbs
Nope, Looked it up in the service manual - 40 Nm = 29.5 footpounds. This was also confirmed on my service videos, where they also give the torque specs for each fastener.

The wrench just never clicked. Don't know why I thought a $10 wrench would work well.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:16 AM   #7398
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,178
My Craftsmen torque wrench has been pretty good for the past 8 or 9 years. My only concern is it's accuracy. It was given to me for Christmas one year so I use it but if I were to go and buy one I'd get a MAC or Snapon. Other tools I always lean towards Husky... who knows, there torque wrench may be pretty good too. If I remember right Husky is made by MAC Tools... but it's been a while since I looked at the chart saying who made what.
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:18 AM   #7399
Mr2mch
Cycledelic Hippie

Oddometer: 2,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
The wrench just never clicked. Don't know why I thought a $10 wrench would work well.
You were usin a wrench I wouldn't even use on my Strom....
Talk about a "gut wrenching" moment....I have had a few of those..

There's no time like the present....well,cept for maybe that hour when the time changes in the Fall.

cycledelic hippie
Mr2mch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:19 AM   #7400
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,366
Dahveed, once upon a time Craftsman was made in the US...much of their products is now sourced from overseas. My Clicker Craftsman Torque wrench was bought in 1984 and still going strong. It has been calibrated several times over the years. That is why I bought the Craftsman Digitork. It is on my desk at home. It was only 6 months old when it broke the valve cover bolt. Sears in Waco told me it would be $60 to get it "service". I really want a Snap On and I have moved torward Snap On in recent years as Craftsman quality detiorated. What makes wrenches and sockets work is the quality of fit to the fastener. Used to the Craftsman fit like a Snap-On or other premium tool. Now most of their sockets and wrenches fit looser like the HF stuff. Hell, I saw some HF stuff that was closer to fit than Craftsman. My sockets and ratchets now are almost exclusively Snap On. I like the feel of S-K wreches so I have SAE and Metric SK wrenches. My Torx sockets are MAC cause I got a better deal and they seem comparable to the Snap On set. I have a couple Craftsman sets I keep for throwing on my 4wheeler or in the Jeep just so I have something. But if I am going to work, I want my good stuff
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:36 AM   #7401
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

The beauty of being on an old farm is there's a ton of old wrenches around (mostly SAE) and if one doesn't fit good chances are another one will. At times we've used SAE stuff on metric bolts that shouldn't have even crossed with an SAE size because they fit better than the metric wrench we had.

So yeah, size wise, those things are all over the place unless you're using one of the top brands.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:13 AM   #7402
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,338
Quote:
Nope, Looked it up in the service manual - 40 Nm = 29.5 footpounds. This was also confirmed on my service videos, where they also give the torque specs for each fastener.

Dahveed, Craftmans Digitork Clicker Type torque wrenches are made by Matco Tool, which are made in Japan not China. It is a good quality tool. The 3/8 torque wrench will run you about $125 out the door. I've had the 3/8 and 1/2 Craftman Torque wrenches for several years and had them checked last year and were still in spec.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ABTestAvl=true

Ridden so many bikes I lost count ! ! !

bigdave-gs screwed with this post 10-25-2011 at 09:27 AM
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:31 AM   #7403
Mr2mch
Cycledelic Hippie

Oddometer: 2,422
Price point tools...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs View Post
Dahveed, Craftmans Micro Clicker torque wrenches are made by Matco Tool, which are made in Japan not China. It is a good quality tool. The 3/8 torque wrench will run you about $80 out the door. I've had the 3/8 and 1/2 Craftman Torque wrenches for several years and had it checked last year and was still in spec.
Several tool companies have tools available in different price categories....
I remember back in the late 80s-90s,Craftsman brought out a lower priced line of their brand to compete with some of the "discount lines" offered. The quality difference of these "cheaper" tools was definately visible sometimes....sometimes not. So..."generally"...The higher priced tools of the same brand tend to be of a better quality.

There's no time like the present....well,cept for maybe that hour when the time changes in the Fall.

cycledelic hippie
Mr2mch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #7404
4jranch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
I also have two sizes of Craftsman torque wrenches. After use I always turn them back to the lowest setting possible, not sure where I learned this. No problems with them this far. Don't know if this has helped or not. Also I never use them as a breaker bar just for torque settings only.
4jranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #7405
Has Been
Better HB Than NW

Oddometer: 340
Not more BS from Has Been

Quote:
Well, I was straddling the fence regarding what bike I should bring to the rally. Tonight, my cheap-ass, good-for-nothing, POS Harbor fucking freight torque wrench made the decision for me by twisting off the head of the bolt that holds the brake caliper to the front fork. I thought it was taking way more that 40 Nm (29.5 footpounds) of pressure and that thing never fucking clicked.

I'm going to trash both the 3/8 and 1/4 wrenches before they break something expensive to fix.

I sure hope that WRR is ready to ride...

Anyone know of a quality torque wrench that isn't a lying SOB?
Back in the olden days, I totally rebuilt a BSA with SAE wrenches and a hammer to drive them onto the flats when they were too tight. Remember, they were Whitworth! Oh; before your time. Before everyone that can still read this blogs time. Also before Gr (5), Gr (8), etc. Anyway we twisted off enough bolts to sorta have a built in torque wrist. If we left them too loose things fell off and then we went to the next wrist setting. haha. Still have the Whitworth set I bought at a garage sale when they were no longer needed for anything.
I use the MURPHY style." Whatever will fail will fail now". When Im gonna use the torque wrench, I go to the Mule and check the clicker on a like size bolt/nut. BTW the instructions say to store the wrench with the setting backed off to nothing. I always double check the hammer screw loosener for direction by hand before hitting it and always check the direction of the ratchet before putting it on a flat.
It occurs to me that I also predate the standardization of fasteners. J. F Hoover (Yes the FBI gay guy) was the worlds leader for this important change to our everyday lives. jussayin
Carpe Diem (Big Dave says so)

1999 BMW R1100S
1997 Husaberg FE501E
1979 Husqvarna Auto
Has Been is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #7406
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4jranch View Post
I also have two sizes of Craftsman torque wrenches. After use I always turn them back to the lowest setting possible, not sure where I learned this. No problems with them this far. Don't know if this has helped or not. Also I never use them as a breaker bar just for torque settings only.
Yes it does help. Takes pressure off the spring and ball, keeps from collapsing the spring and losing the calibration of the tool. My Craftman has a stop printed on the dial on the low end, you are to turn it back to the stop after using.

Ridden so many bikes I lost count ! ! !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #7407
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4jranch View Post
My inch pound wrenches instructions say to set it back to 0 after use. I figure they all should be treated that way even though I don't remember the craftsmen one having it in the instructions. I'm sure Dave has it right on the why of things.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #7408
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post
My inch pound wrenches instructions say to set it back to 0 after use. I figure they all should be treated that way even though I don't remember the craftsmen one having it in the instructions. I'm sure Dave has it right on the why of things.
+1 Always dial mine to zero
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:07 PM   #7409
Schickmeister
Youngin'

Oddometer: 2,662
What's a torque wrench?
Old 10-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #7410
TXjames
High Sider

Oddometer: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schickmeister View Post
What's a torque wrench?
You just bought a Bimmer. You'll know soon enough. Or maybe you prefer to drive the 200 miles for service/repair. You can stop that ROFL now.
TXjames is online now   Reply With Quote