User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2009, 04:01 PM   #76
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,010
Quote:
My dream ride is a BMW 1200 GS. I think that is good touring bike that can also handle some gentle gravel roads.
Oh, it'll do lots more than that. (Edited to protect the guilty;))

slowoldguy screwed with this post 12-06-2009 at 06:01 PM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:03 PM   #77
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Ferris Bueller. Scene from a movie.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:09 PM   #78
Aanarchy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
Someone post a map please!!!! I want to head down there some day and explore the area too! Thanks!

Edit: any pics of the water crossing?...
Get a copy of The Roads of Texas at any bookstore. We started on page 90 titled "Gatesville". Out of Meridian took CR1035 south (I think) made a couple of random (and watery) turns, ended up back up on Hwy 22. Headed north off 22 on CR 4100, up CR 4102, back down CR4125, CR 41xx back out to 22 and into Cranfills Gap for coffee. Then north on FM 219 for paved fun, continued north on FM 1238 onto page 70 of TROT. Past Iredell we jumped off on another CR, wound around and around and around and poof! we were on Hwy 67 headed east toward Loco BBQ.

We just explored some, hit a couple of dead ends, found stuff. I think any of the CRs down that way will offer fun. Just get out the map and go. I'll PM you next chance I get to head down there.
Aanarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:13 PM   #79
Aanarchy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
Edit: any pics of the water crossing?...
If I'd had on a helmet cam it would have looked like the inside of a tsunami. Just before the other side of one my front wheel dropped into a hole and sent a wave right up into my face. Bottoms were solid though and not real slick. No problems getting through.

The throttle is your friend.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #80
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toltec
Get a copy of The Roads of Texas at any bookstore. We started on page 90 titled "Gatesville". Out of Meridian took CR1035 south (I think) made a couple of random (and watery) turns, ended up back up on Hwy 22. Headed north off 22 on CR 4100, up CR 4102, back down CR4125, CR 41xx back out to 22 and into Cranfills Gap for coffee. Then north on FM 219 for paved fun, continued north on FM 1238 onto page 70 of TROT. Past Iredell we jumped off on another CR, wound around and around and around and poof! we were on Hwy 67 headed east toward Loco BBQ.

We just explored some, hit a couple of dead ends, found stuff. I think any of the CRs down that way will offer fun. Just get out the map and go. I'll PM you next chance I get to head down there.

Cool, I must spend more time down there! I went riding locally today with another friend north west of the metroplex. I think next time the weather isn't so dreary I can do the multi hundred miles down to central texas lol. Let me know when you are out there! I have to mount a new rear now, the one I have on is sub-legal and dangerously close to cording...
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:42 AM   #81
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,262
Hey guys still kicking, so not down for the count yet. When Mr2mch called last night, I had taken a tramadol and a flexeril and was in a state of comfortably numb . Had to work today, so I am manning up and bearing the pain for now. Wish I could have been there, I was there in spirit this time Well at least we have a Central Thread rolling so we can keep like minded individuals in touch Put this thread on your subscribe list
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:52 PM   #82
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Glad to see that you didn't break anything you needed. ;)

Random thoughts during my late lunch.......

Everybody needs to get their bikes in good shape because , as most of you pros already know, Central Texas sunny winter days are just about the best time to ride our caliche and gravel roads. Good riding days just kind of show up and planning too far in advance leads to cancellations. Summer is a bitch and spring and fall are usually what? 2-3 days each? The KiLleR is almost due for a set and the Big Ugly is past due for a rear so mostly I'm just talking about myself (and about half the rest of y'all ).

For two weekend rides in a row I have just set out and explored some nearby dirt roads somewhat willy-nilly (i.e. no idea where I was going till I got there, and usually not then). Never got more than an hour (maybe hour and a half) from home by highway and literally had 1/2 to 2/3 day fun right here in our own backyard. You can't get THAT lost and as long as everybody rides within their comfort zone and has the good sense to turn around if something is above their skill level , I can't think of a better way to spend a day. If you do ride with a group you don't know - if it's too hairy or not hairy enough for you, wave g'bye and leave. No hard feelings. There is no great commitment and certainly not enough to be bored and dang sure not enough to get hurt.

Granted our twisties aren't 3 sisters or 3 stooges or Lajitas to Presidio on 170 or Push Mountain or the BRP or Lake City to Creed or AZ 191 (wait, damn .........I'm losing focus) but they are right here and you can do them without a missed day from work, or even ON a missed day from work.

So....if anybody finds themselves with a sunny day coming up and wants to ride some back-road pavement and dual-sport dirt, and wouldn't mind somebody else along, just post up a meeting spot. Who knows? Somebody might want to ride, too. I'd suggest maybe giving them a clue about how you wish to ride (fast, slow, rough, stupid, parade, Deathwish) but I guess that's all relative. ;)

Thanks to Ghost for staring the thread. Let's take advantage of it.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 12-07-2009 at 01:09 PM
Old 12-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #83
Aanarchy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy
I second that. Nice to have a subset for getting together with a rider or two for day trips and more.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #84
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy
Glad to see that you didn't break anything you needed. ;)

Random thoughts during my late lunch.......

Everybody needs to get their bikes in good shape because , as most of you pros already know, Central Texas sunny winter days are just about the best time to ride our caliche and gravel roads. Good riding days just kind of show up and planning too far in advance leads to cancellations. Summer is a bitch and spring and fall are usually what? 2-3 days each? The KiLleR is almost due for a set and the Big Ugly is past due for a rear so mostly I'm just talking about myself (and about half the rest of y'all ).

For two weekend rides in a row I have just set out and explored some nearby dirt roads somewhat willy-nilly (i.e. no idea where I was going till I got there, and usually not then). Never got more than an hour (maybe hour and a half) from home by highway and literally had 1/2 to 2/3 day fun right here in our own backyard. You can't get THAT lost and as long as everybody rides within their comfort zone and has the good sense to turn around if something is above their skill level , I can't think of a better way to spend a day. If you do ride with a group you don't know - if it's too hairy or not hairy enough for you, wave g'bye and leave. No hard feelings. There is no great commitment and certainly not enough to be bored and dang sure not enough to get hurt.

Granted our twisties aren't 3 sisters or 3 stooges or Lajitas to Presidio on 170 or Push Mountain or the BRP or Lake City to Creed or AZ 191 (wait, damn .........I'm losing focus) but they are right here and you can do them without a missed day from work, or even ON a missed day from work.

So....if anybody finds themselves with a sunny day coming up and wants to ride some back-road pavement and dual-sport dirt, and wouldn't mind somebody else along, just post up a meeting spot. Who knows? Somebody might want to ride, too. I'd suggest maybe giving them a clue about how you wish to ride (fast, slow, rough, stupid, parade, Deathwish) but I guess that's all relative. ;)

Thats exactly what I had in mind. Also, Like I posted earlier, I will be glad to help anyone with their bikes if they have trouble. I know what its like to get stranded far from home. What amazed me was this website helped me far more than my BMW MOA Anonymous book. I posted a request for help when I blew a tire in Tennessee and had ADVers from 5 states volunteering to help me. I blew my tire on a Saturday night which means I was basically stranded until Tuesday cause most bike shops are closed on Sunday and Monday. Luckily I had Advers that had tires new and used that offered them to me and even delivered( Thanks again DogScout)! Hell, the Eastern Forum started a thread just to identify shops open on sundays and Mondays. I try to keep spare parts at home and I carry most of my tools in my panniers all the time. Be Prepared
Old 12-07-2009, 01:53 PM   #85
Red Leader
It's The Wide Open Spaces

Oddometer: 51
Post - Up

Just thought I'd chime in, Y'all seem to be like minded riders in an area not to far from my location in North Arlington. If you live here you have to know that it takes an hour to get out of the metroplex and start to start to get somewhere for a road/dirt ride so "Central Texas" is usually one of a couple areas that first comes to mind.

I appreciate the idea of this thread and hope to ride along on one of these nice winter days in the not to distant future.
Red Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #86
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Welcome Aboard Redleader! Metroplex might be nice to visit but would hate to live there (I used too, so I can say that) Seems like the boys from Austin have dropped interest for here. We just want to ride...Slowoldguy and the others held true to the creed on Sunday We will ride again. Figure I need at least a week to let these ribs heal up, friend of mine cracked a joke at lunch and thought I was gonna die when I laughed Stay tuned for the next episode
Old 12-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #87
Mr2mch
Cycledelic Hippie

Oddometer: 2,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964
Welcome Aboard Redleader! Metroplex might be nice to visit but would hate to live there (I used too, so I can say that) Seems like the boys from Austin have dropped interest for here. We just want to ride...Slowoldguy and the others held true to the creed on Sunday We will ride again. Figure I need at least a week to let these ribs heal up, friend of mine cracked a joke at lunch and thought I was gonna die when I laughed Stay tuned for the next episode

I'd guess that the Austineers have plenty of good stuff to ride right in their back yard so....maybe not quite as interested in commuting to a ride farther north......But....some of them,like me...have probably memorized most of the good stuff by riding it so much & might want a change now & then.I'm the same way about some of the roads around here at times...& have to expand my horizions.That's why I've started to venture off the pavement more & more....Kinda fills in the gaps in my maps.
Really wish I wouldn'ta missed Sunday's wash job & sure you're feelin the same.
Mr2mch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:21 PM   #88
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,444
Working on upgrading my rubber as we speak. I could get a few more miles out of the set I have, but I need all the help I can get and saving a few bucks on good tires seems penny wise but pound foolish. Would welcome any tire suggestions?

I really will be limited in riding until Dec 27. Then watch out...

Thanks Ghost for starting this and everyone else for being here. Looking forward to riding with you all.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:33 PM   #89
Burbo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Hey Slowoldguy and Toltec, That road we turned around on was a hallucination of my GPS. It shows as a private road on the TXDOT county road map. I guess we are lucky not to have been used as target practice. Or maybe they thought "shit if these dumbasses are out riding in this weather, let'em go for it"
Burbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:37 PM   #90
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,656
Dahveed

Good to see you embracing the ADV site. We need to get together again for some great BBQ and add some more riders. For great ride info. this is the place.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote