ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional Forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #13141
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow
 
pizzaboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Aledo, Texas
Oddometer: 1,120
speaking of spending money and saving....
__________________
'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz 03/08 BD
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R 03/14 BD
pizzaboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #13142
slowoldguy
Tire Tester
 
slowoldguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: West of Waco, Texas
Oddometer: 8,752
Let's see so far tonight I have sold a seat, bribed a machinist in Alpine to build another superslick shifter for the little Harley, and bought a custom made radar detector mount for the Big Ugly. Once I buy the voodoo-tooth I'll only be down a couple a hundred. Not bad. Not bad at all. Of course, I have no idea what the hell James told me to buy. I want to go back to my Plan A. Give him my money and have him order what I need.
__________________
RTB V- The Texas ADV Rally- Hurry before we fuck this up!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
"If you can't fix it with a hammer you can damn sure teach it a lesson".
slowoldguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #13143
bigdave-gs
Explorer
 
bigdave-gs's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central Texas
Oddometer: 2,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
I want to go back to my Plan A. Give him my money and have him order what I need.
Hell SOG, just give me your money, I'll take real good care of it for ya.........
__________________
I'd be unstoppable if not for Law Enforcement and Physics !
When your 6'8" with a 40" inseam, the bikes that fit you are limited ! ! !

2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure for street work / KTM 950 Super Enduro for Dirt work !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #13144
slowoldguy
Tire Tester
 
slowoldguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: West of Waco, Texas
Oddometer: 8,752
Hey. I sold a passenger seat and backrest I have never used and a tailbag to raise money to fix my HD exhaust. Then I missed the damn ebay exhaust auction by 6 minutes. Motorcycle money has to go somewhere before the wife or office finds it. ;)
__________________
RTB V- The Texas ADV Rally- Hurry before we fuck this up!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
"If you can't fix it with a hammer you can damn sure teach it a lesson".

slowoldguy screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 01:10 AM
slowoldguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:55 AM   #13145
Cycledelic Relic
follow old goatpath
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: skinny pavement
Oddometer: 2,403
PERILS ...& Pitfalls

I just got off the phone with **** customer service. It indeed looks like they've changed their handling of claims since I spoke with them a few years back. I got an answer made by a "real" customer service agent instead of a standard policy form response read by a "trained agent" on my previous claims.
Here is a copy of details from my claim on a front tire I recently recieved which had a coating of nice shiny ArmorAll on it....

>>[Your message to Customer Support:
"I bought 2 tires from the seller who had FREE SHIPPING listed on both the auctions. The seller contacted me requesting $20 to cover part of the shipping due to his mistake in the listing of the tires. I agreed to pay $15 thru a separate payment request. I do not take issue with this situation,but upon reciept of the tires I discovered that the front motorcycle tire was coated with ArmorAll which is specificially noted on their product webpage with a NOT FOR USE ON MOTORCYCLE TIRES.Most people who ride or deal with motorcycles know that ArmorAll or similar products are not to be used on cycle tires. I contacted the seller who then told me I could try cleaning the ArmorAll off before using. This was not an acceptable alternative because the ArmorAll gets into the rubber on the tire & may not fully come off. The tire could be very damgerous due to it's slipperyness after the coating. The seller finally agreed to refund the purchase price of $50 without me having to return the tire,but when I opened a case on the purchase to protect myself if he took over the allotted time limit to file a claim on purchases,he changed his requirements & asked for a useless defective tire to be returned to him (costing me $17) just because I opened a case which caused his account funds to be put on hold. I indicated that I would NOT be returning a defective tire to him. I would instead cut the tire up rendering it totally useless for any future use on a bike. I can provide pictures of the tire after I cut it up if needed. I will wait for a decision before cutting up the tire."]<<

A decision was made while I was on the phone (It took a little over 30min but was mostly worth the wait) I will get my refund on the purchase price of $50 & will not have to pay return shipping. That will be covered with a shipping tag issued by the auction company's customer service. I guess I'll have to live with the fact that the seller will destroy the tire when they get it back....HOPEFULLY, they won't try to clean the ArmorAll off & resell the tire again.

...BUYER BEWARE
__________________
ThThThTHHhats all folks
Cycledelic Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #13146
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer
 
WoodButcher's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudclod View Post
Ha! That really needs to go on TWT! I'm trying to enlarge it (thephoto) to get a better look at girl #3 from the left!
Pretty sure one of the Admins over there would change it to a link if it got posted, but I'd look at it really well to make sure it needed to be linked
__________________
Rusty

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #13147
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!
 
Dahveed's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 5,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2mch View Post
I just got off the phone with **** customer service. It indeed looks like they've changed their handling of claims since I spoke with them a few years back. I got an answer made by a "real" customer service agent instead of a standard policy form response read by a "trained agent" on my previous claims.
Here is a copy of details from my claim on a front tire I recently recieved which had a coating of nice shiny ArmorAll on it....

>>[Your message to Customer Support:
"I bought 2 tires from the seller who had FREE SHIPPING listed on both the auctions. The seller contacted me requesting $20 to cover part of the shipping due to his mistake in the listing of the tires. I agreed to pay $15 thru a separate payment request. I do not take issue with this situation,but upon reciept of the tires I discovered that the front motorcycle tire was coated with ArmorAll which is specificially noted on their product webpage with a NOT FOR USE ON MOTORCYCLE TIRES.Most people who ride or deal with motorcycles know that ArmorAll or similar products are not to be used on cycle tires. I contacted the seller who then told me I could try cleaning the ArmorAll off before using. This was not an acceptable alternative because the ArmorAll gets into the rubber on the tire & may not fully come off. The tire could be very damgerous due to it's slipperyness after the coating. The seller finally agreed to refund the purchase price of $50 without me having to return the tire,but when I opened a case on the purchase to protect myself if he took over the allotted time limit to file a claim on purchases,he changed his requirements & asked for a useless defective tire to be returned to him (costing me $17) just because I opened a case which caused his account funds to be put on hold. I indicated that I would NOT be returning a defective tire to him. I would instead cut the tire up rendering it totally useless for any future use on a bike. I can provide pictures of the tire after I cut it up if needed. I will wait for a decision before cutting up the tire."]<<

A decision was made while I was on the phone (It took a little over 30min but was mostly worth the wait) I will get my refund on the purchase price of $50 & will not have to pay return shipping. That will be covered with a shipping tag issued by the auction company's customer service. I guess I'll have to live with the fact that the seller will destroy the tire when they get it back....HOPEFULLY, they won't try to clean the ArmorAll off & resell the tire again.

...BUYER BEWARE
Was this on Ebay? Ding the seller on the ratings and if he tries to sell those tires again (the sleazeball will) he should be arrested and charged with a crime. Intentionally doing or selling a product you know to be faulty and dangerous should be a crime. And now he knows.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerinmaine
When you get too old to serve as a bad example, you can always give bad advice.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #13148
Cycledelic Relic
follow old goatpath
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: skinny pavement
Oddometer: 2,403
INCOGNITO in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
Was this on Ebay? Ding the seller on the ratings and if he tries to sell those tires again (the sleazeball will) he should be arrested and charged with a crime. Intentionally doing or selling a product you know to be faulty and dangerous should be a crime. And now he knows.
Can't use any names since this is still an ongoing process but..yes..I am going to keep track of this sellers future listings & make sure that the tire is N! O! T! relisted. The seller has good comments from previous sales & I hope they will do the right thing by disposing of that tire when they get it back.

UNRELATEDNESS...
Howz Arkansas so far??? Gettin any map usage yet? ...or maybe the rain put a "damper" on the plans for a bit.
__________________
ThThThTHHhats all folks
Cycledelic Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:02 AM   #13149
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!
 
Dahveed's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 5,565
New GS was announced/shown last night...




Here's the link to the web site
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerinmaine
When you get too old to serve as a bad example, you can always give bad advice.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:17 AM   #13150
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!
 
Dahveed's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 5,565
KTM 1190 Adventure

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerinmaine
When you get too old to serve as a bad example, you can always give bad advice.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:20 AM   #13151
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!
 
Dahveed's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 5,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2mch View Post
UNRELATEDNESS...
Howz Arkansas so far??? Gettin any map usage yet? ...or maybe the rain put a "damper" on the plans for a bit.
We took a car to the hill country last weekend. A combination of the rain forecast, finance's riding pants didn't get in, and bike not road tested made a car trip the smarter thing.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerinmaine
When you get too old to serve as a bad example, you can always give bad advice.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:51 AM   #13152
fasterlaster
Gnarly Adventurer
 
fasterlaster's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Cedar Park, Tejas
Oddometer: 148
Let's compare those two bike video ads.

BMW says.....Look I can park my bike in really run down areas.
KTM says.....Look I can ride my bike to cool places (and have friends who wait for me at the top of hills)

At least that's how I perceive the adverts.
__________________
1996 BMW R1100GS
2002 Ducati Monster 750i.e.
fasterlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:01 AM   #13153
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!
 
Dahveed's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 5,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterlaster View Post
Let's compare those two bike video ads.

BMW says.....Look I can park my bike in really run down areas.
KTM says.....Look I can ride my bike to cool places (and have friends who wait for me at the top of hills)

At least that's how I perceive the adverts.
I think the BMW ad was shot in Africa and South America. The riding was nice and aggressive in the KTM advert. Sadly neither ad showed anyone working on the bike on the side of the road, so we already know the ads are misleading.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerinmaine
When you get too old to serve as a bad example, you can always give bad advice.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:04 AM   #13154
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer
 
WoodButcher's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterlaster View Post
Let's compare those two bike video ads.

BMW says.....Look I can park my bike in really run down areas.
KTM says.....Look I can ride my bike to cool places (and have friends who wait for me at the top of hills)

At least that's how I perceive the adverts.
Yep, the BMW appears to be just for lookin at.
__________________
Rusty

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:31 AM   #13155
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow
 
pizzaboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Aledo, Texas
Oddometer: 1,120
It appears BMW had a small price increase on parts as of Oct. 1st
__________________
'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz 03/08 BD
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R 03/14 BD
pizzaboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015