Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #13816
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,136
Yeah, well. Why would I buy the right thing? Much better to pay the same for something that will be un-supported by Garmin within the month. Buy high, sell low. It's the slowoldguy way.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:40 PM   #13817
TXjames
High Sider

Oddometer: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs View Post
At least with the lockable mount it would take them a minute or two longer to steal it.
Not if you mount your TT with wingnuts as others, who shall remain nameless but we can all easily identify, do.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:04 AM   #13818
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXjames View Post
Not if you mount your TT with wingnuts as others, who shall remain nameless but we can all easily identify, do.
But it has a LOCK. It is LOCKABLE. Sheesh. ;)
Old 01-12-2013, 05:29 AM   #13819
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
I Just read how the Garmin Montana is "5 times better than any Zumo". Maybe they were wrong...
i am thinking I will get a Montana...figure i would check Woodbutchers Montana out
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #13820
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964 View Post
i am thinking I will get a Montana...figure i would check Woodbutchers Montana out
I will remember to bring it along next I know I,m going to see you. Hico pie run at the end of the month maybe?

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #13821
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964 View Post
Thought seriously about it but by the time it was all said and done it would have been well over my GPS budget. It comes with no maps, no nothing. I did find re-furbs for $369 on eBay. I will wait until some used bundles come up for sale,
Old 01-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #13822
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,971
Dody is hoping I'll want to sell my Montana sometime soon. I'm hoping for a firmware update to add the feature I think it lacks.

Oh, and I had lunch with mr2mch today...after he caged it down to Austin. I was in the truck too so I can't give him too much of a hard time.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #13823
Aanarchy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Thought seriously about it but by the time it was all said and done it would have been well over my GPS budget. It comes with no maps, no nothing.,
Sell something. Wife, kids, cage, whatever. I used it for the first time in Sept. had my old 60CSx as a backup but never turned it on after the second day.

The Montana is intuitive, huge screen for aging eyes, wireless track and route sharing that was easy-peasy to figure out in a motel room the night before our start (and in spite of copious amounts of alcohol). Tremendous capacity for routes and tracks. Maps can be had free on gpsfileexchange. Easy to hard wire to the bike.

It's installed on my 800GS with a RAM mount - pennies compared to the TT mount, and adequate for a bike that won't ever see single-track.

My Nuvi has been relegated to use in the truck, and my trusty 60CSx will be for day rides on the 450. The Montana is lead bitch in the GPS harem.

Just MHO, which I felt compelled to share.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:05 PM   #13824
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Yeah. For those reasons, had I bought new it was gonna be my choice. Woodbutcher and I had a conversation before the purchase and most of what he told me was so far over my head it didn't stick. Assuming for a minute that I could learn, I doubt if I ever would learn how to do routes or tracks. It's just a moving map to me. I am a map guy who writes out his turn by turns on paper for the map case.

My big thing is a daylight readable screen and the Zumo seems to fill that bill for me.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 11:26 PM
Old 01-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #13825
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,659
My stickers are proudly adorned on my GS panniers.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #13826
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

lol...
Quote:
The bike will go 140 miles per. hour and is very nimble.We used all the guages,wiring harness,etc,from the Buell Lightning and it is the upgraded fuel delivery system.We used a Honda cr500 dirtbike frame and we had to add 4" longer,and make it 1.5" taller.The bike is very strong and handles better than the Aprilia Dorsoduro Motard bike we have new in our shop.We built the bike to showcase our new Motard bikes and will not part the bike out(this means will not sell any parts off the bike).We will not tell you how to build one of these bikes(sorry we do this for a living).We will not take any trades(except for meat from a real bigfoot,meat from a giant panda,or a one night stand with Sara Pallin).This bike is for people that wish to scare the boss,or wife into thinking your insane.We like to see all our motorcycles driving fast, and we frown on people that buy them and go 55 mph down the highway as this reflects on us.We have have another bike (same as this one)ready next month.We have been hit with all the ebay scam artists(we wont send any money to anyone but please feel free to check with all the members of congress)many times so dont even try!! The funny thing is if there were as many people working offshore or on a research vesell as these scammers claim the economy would not be in bad shape(I worked offshore for a number of years and there are phones on a drilling rig).Any questions feel free to ask!Thanks for your time and remember in a recesion you should wok harder,drive faster,and have more sex!
Nice ad. ;)
Old 01-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #13827
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aanarchy View Post
Sell something. Wife, kids, cage, whatever. I used it for the first time in Sept. had my old 60CSx as a backup but never turned it on after the second day.

The Montana is intuitive, huge screen for aging eyes, wireless track and route sharing that was easy-peasy to figure out in a motel room the night before our start (and in spite of copious amounts of alcohol). Tremendous capacity for routes and tracks. Maps can be had free on gpsfileexchange. Easy to hard wire to the bike.

It's installed on my 800GS with a RAM mount - pennies compared to the TT mount, and adequate for a bike that won't ever see single-track.

My Nuvi has been relegated to use in the truck, and my trusty 60CSx will be for day rides on the 450. The Montana is lead bitch in the GPS harem.

Just MHO, which I felt compelled to share.
I bought the Garmin Zumo 350 LM. It was preloaded with U.S., Canada, Mexico, and several island maps. It has Lifetime Maps, and free software upgrades. Came with a RAM mount for motorcycles, which I most likely won't use. It does tracks,has bluetooth (I probably won't ever use), has mileage service intervals for motorcycle related maintenance items, and many other things. The coolest part is it was free ! ! ! I had accumulated enough points on my Cabela's card that it didn't cost me any out of pocket cash.

Ridden so many bikes I lost count ! ! !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #13828
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs View Post
The coolest part is it was free ! ! ! I had accumulated enough points on my Cabela's card that it didn't cost me any out of pocket cash.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #13829
ridingkiwi
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Austin area ride help
Giday mates, i will be Austin for 3 days at the end of january, fri sat sunday, looking to ride all three days. Im from maryland so i have no idea where to go. I ride a gsa but rough and dirty are ok. Does anyon ewant ride of can you give sugestions where to ride. Short adventure rides to 800mile days its all good. Thanks Nick
ridingkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #13830
Aanarchy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
I doubt if I ever would learn how to do routes or tracks. It's just a moving map to me. I am a map guy who writes out his turn by turns on paper for the map case.
Hombre, if I can do it, a caveman could do it. Whatever unit you have, tracks are the way to go. Turn by turns you still have to be able to read. With a track you just glance down to make sure you're still on the line, and you can see the track turn left or right ahead of you.

JThompson over on twtex beat me up until I tried them. Once you've had tracks you'll never go back!

But I still carry paper maps as a supplement. You can never have too many route finding tools. Cuz GPS or no, I still get lost.