User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #13981
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,748
rtwpaul's solution found here.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #13982
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,990
Okay, tires are mounted so we are a go for the Loco Coyote tomorrow. Sometime between 11:30 and noon. JD? 9am my place?

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #13983
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,235

I'm in . I'm in.

Mmmmm. "Candy meat."
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #13984
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Well, guys and gals. I am starting the hunt for another bike. Gotta be lighter than the Big Ugly (not that hard), faster than KiLleR (not that hard), more dirt capable than the big girl, and reliable (cuz it is going to Mexico). Got no idea what it will be.
Reading a rr here. These guys are riding BMW 650 GS x-challenges I believe. They just did a 3 month London to Tokyo via Siberia and Mongolia. They travel light and ride fast. They ride rally style. Soft bags and minimal gear. They don't think you need 1200ccs to adventure tour. Look for the ride report "Sibirsky extreme 2012."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #13985
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
Okay, tires are mounted so we are a go for the Loco Coyote tomorrow. Sometime between 11:30 and noon. JD? 9am my place?
Mom had surgery last week so I'm off to Dallas for the weekend. Y'all have fun.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 02-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #13986
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
rtwpaul's solution found here.
The one KTM the Sibirsky Extreme team took had to be towed a good part of the trip. Eventually the guy flew back to England to get parts for it. Of course ymmv, but its pretty inconvenient, not to mention expensive, to take a week-long break in the trip to fly home to pick up parts for your bike.

I was thinking of getting a husky TR 650 Terra for this sort of adventure touring. 50 hp and 400 lbs. I'd change that seat though. But with husky selling, I'm rethinking that.

'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #13987
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
Reading a rr here. These guys are riding BMW 650 GS x-challenges I believe. They just did a 3 month London to Tokyo via Siberia and Mongolia. They travel light and ride fast. They ride rally style. Soft bags and minimal gear. They don't think you need 1200ccs to adventure tour. Look for the ride report "Sibirsky extreme 2012."

Starting to migrate that way in my thinking with each trip South. Have yet to read a RR where the rider was wishing for a bigger, heavier bike.

Still thinking WRR for my first smaller bike then moving on from there.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #13988
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed

I was thinking of getting a husky TR 650 Terra for this sort of adventure touring. 50 hp and 400 lbs. I'd change that seat though. But with husky selling, I'm rethinking that.

Yup. My sentiments exactly. But it is still in the hunt.

That xchallenge looks pretty short coupled to me.

May look at a Sertao or an old Dakar. Or I may just throw more money at KiLleR. Better brakes and a bigger motor. My riding position is perfect and I am very comfortable riding her up to 500 mile days.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 10:41 PM
Old 02-22-2013, 10:39 PM   #13989
TXjames
High Sider

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
The one KTM the Sibirsky Extreme team took had to be towed a good part of the trip. Eventually the guy flew back to England to get parts for it. Of course ymmv, but its pretty inconvenient, not to mention expensive, to take a week-long break in the trip to fly home to pick up parts for your bike.
That was a known crap fuel pump issue. Certainly not a problem with the 625 since gravity supplies the pressure.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #13990
cavemanjed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
My buddy loves his F800GS, definitely more dirt oriented then the GSA. On the Highway he had no probs keeping up at 85-90 miles an hour. I guess it just depends on how dirt oriented you wanna go? Hell, that tiger video with the guys pimping the ICON gear, were riding those things like dirt bikes. Granted, pro riders and geared up bikes, but they were riding the shit out of them.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #13991
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Or I guess I could lose 50 pounds of metal and 25 pounds of gear and 30 pounds of blubber. There's 105 off the big girl right there.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #13992
TXjames
High Sider

Oddometer: 1,040
From Mr. Sibirsky Extreme himself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebatch View Post
Well i dont think the Sertao offers any potential that the XC doesnt, except 30+ kgs more weight.

The only advantage I see it has over an Xchallenge (or Xcountry if you are of the shorter persuasion), is that its probably better for someone who wants to make no modifications.

If you are going to spend time, effort and money adventurising, then you are better off starting with one of the much lighter XC bikes. They have same brakes, better engine (same basis but with 10% more power - 53hp vs 48 hp), better wheels, better standing position, and are more spacious. The F650 Dakar / Sertao are much more cramped in the leg due to a much shorter spacing between seat and footpeg.

If you definitely wanted a new bike, then look at the Husqvarna 650 Terra - again, same brakes, same engine / gearbox, more power, lighter and cheaper than a sertao. It handles better, is a 10 years more modern design ... And now that Husky is being sold, BMW dealers will probably offer them even cheaper !

I gotta be honest with you, I dont see a lot of upside for the sertao. Its not a bad platform, just that there are better options from exactly the same stable that offer the same engine / gearbox / brake /general engineering combination. Its very difficult for me to find an angle where I think the Sertao is a better choice. Every single angle seems to point to other bikes. Same engineers behind all of the above bikes. Mostly the same key components.

I dont think there is any notable upside in city / road riding in a sertao over an XC bike or the Husky. Again, same engine, same brakes, same size (21 inch) front wheel. If anything the Husky is said to have excellent handling on the road ... it is after all a much more modern design.

The level of electronics on a bike like Sertao or XC or Husky is very very low by modern standards. Its definitely not a major issue. A modern 1200GS will have about 10 times the electronic complexity. These really are very simple bikes whose only main electronic component is the EFI system. And BMW sourced bikes have very reliable EFI generally so to me its a non issue.

Chris Scott of Adventure Motorcycling Handbook fame reviewed the Husky here:
http://adventure-motorcyclingh.com/2...ra-quick-spin/
Old 02-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #13993
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2mch View Post
Best option I've seen so far. But riders like me and SOG should never take on such a project. He'd never get it started and I'd never get it finished.

Otherwise......

Old 02-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #13994
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

The options apparently suck.

KiLleR would run 96.8 GPS mph pretty regularly before the Dody-fest and that's with one tooth down on the countershaft. She already has a big gas tank (and the honking 6.6 IMS is dirt cheap compared to the safari's). I could dump another gen 1 KLR price into what I already have (and like) and end up with an all day comfortable bike that with a sprocket change back to stock "should be" good for the same top speed as a new Sertao that supposedly makes 20 more hp than a stock KLR. I don't know where they are hiding that hp 'cuz it ain't showing up in the data I am finding.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:03 AM   #13995
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2mch View Post
Schizz....What I meant was....Find someone to do the conversion(s) for ya...OR maybe one of those converted bikes might be available. Ya'll both have KLRs already. Just need donor bikes.

I bet if you asked KLRsys how many man hours and $ he has in two bikes, tear down of two bikes, fab, and re-assembly, and then multiply that by his hourly rate, you could buy an HP2 with a big tank and Ohlins.

I bet he has 20 hours in the headers alone. They are a work of art.

That being said, it is a great bike, and I'd love to have one.