ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional Forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #14176
slowoldguy
Tire Tester
 
slowoldguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: West of Waco, Texas
Oddometer: 8,752
Well. I was talking to Dody on the phone and I mentioned this conversation.

People ride motorcycles for all sorts of different reasons. I just ride for one. To have fun. I really don't ride for a challenge. "Real challenging" likely means I didn't have as much fun as I could have had, had I planned better.

When I ride with much better riders, there is usually at least one opportunity for a challenging but purely optional section. It could be a mud-puddle, a loose hill, a sand-wash,.... whatever. They will take it every effin' time. It is guaranteed. lol I will rarely take it, and if it looks too challenging "rarely" becomes "never". Quite honestly, skipping it doesn't take away one whit from my fun (and could well add to it). Now. Faced with the exact same obstacle on my route, I'll head right over/through it to get where I'm going (or in the most extreme circumstances, let them ride it over as I know my limitations).

There is a fella on TWT who is kitting out his bike to do an 800 mile CR dirt loop in 24 hours. I plan on riding it, but I'm thinking it would be more fun for me if I took two days. Maybe even two and a half. So that's what I'll do.

Maybe there is a different mind-set going on. Maybe not. I'll give it some more thought. Sure wish I still drank.
__________________
RTB V- The Texas ADV Rally- Hurry before we fuck this up!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
"If you can't fix it with a hammer you can damn sure teach it a lesson".

slowoldguy screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 11:55 AM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #14177
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer
 
garfey's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Deep East Texas
Oddometer: 5,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Well. I was talking to Dody on the phone and I mentioned this conversation.

People ride motorcycles for all sorts of different reasons. I just ride for one. To have fun. I really don't ride for a challenge. "Real challenging" likely means I didn't have as much fun as I could have had, had I planned better.

When I ride with much better riders, there is usually at least one opportunity for a challenging but purely optional section. It could be a mud-puddle, a loose hill, a sand-wash,.... whatever. They will take it every effin' time. It is guaranteed. lol I will rarely take it, and if it looks too challenging "rarely" becomes "never". Quite honestly, skipping it doesn't take away one whit from my fun (and could well add to it). Now. Faced with the exact same obstacle on my route, I'll head right over/through it to get where I'm going (or in the most extreme circumstances, let them ride it over as I know my limitations).

There is a fella on TWT who is kitting out his bike to do an 800 mile CR dirt loop in 24 hours. I plan on riding it, but I'm thinking it would be more fun for me if I took two days. Maybe even two and a half. So that's what I'll do.

Maybe there is a different mind-set going on. Maybe not. I'll give it some more thought. Sure wish I still drank.
Well said.
garfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #14178
cleatusj
Dirt floor engineer
 
cleatusj's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Granbury, TX
Oddometer: 1,234
Dam SOG, you sure are getting philosophical for an old gray goated fart.
__________________
In the stable now. '76 Moto Guzzi Convert Hack
'93 Moto Guzzi Calli 3 with Leaner turned rigid
'99 WR400F
Hack build: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...rt+floor+build
cleatusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #14179
slowoldguy
Tire Tester
 
slowoldguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: West of Waco, Texas
Oddometer: 8,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatusj View Post
Dam SOG, you sure are getting philosophical for an old gray goated fart.
lol Forgot to take my Aricept today. Little goofy. Sorry.
__________________
RTB V- The Texas ADV Rally- Hurry before we fuck this up!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
"If you can't fix it with a hammer you can damn sure teach it a lesson".
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #14180
TXjames
High Sider
 
TXjames's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Central Texas
Oddometer: 1,106
Found a dual-sport light yet powerful enough for SOG (skip to 1:10)...

__________________
Roll The Bones V - No premature incinerations. Oct 24-26, 2014.
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
TXjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:44 AM   #14181
slowoldguy
Tire Tester
 
slowoldguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: West of Waco, Texas
Oddometer: 8,752
How do you find this stuff?
__________________
RTB V- The Texas ADV Rally- Hurry before we fuck this up!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
"If you can't fix it with a hammer you can damn sure teach it a lesson".
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:53 AM   #14182
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck
 
ghostrider1964's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Heart of Texas
Oddometer: 7,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
How do you find this stuff?
Always acts like he is working so hard....in reality he is a YouTube motorcycle porn junkie
__________________
2008 R1200 GSA (Ghostrider), G650 X/Challenge
"Fuck'em. I'm a lifer. " SlowOldGuy
"The older I get, the faster I was", HardyBaker
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 6 10/23-10/25/2015: ?.......
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #14183
ShadySmurf
Does Own Stunts
 
ShadySmurf's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Labama
Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
When I ride with much better riders, there is usually at least one opportunity for a challenging but purely optional section. It could be a mud-puddle,


I found a mud puddle once.
ShadySmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #14184
ShadySmurf
Does Own Stunts
 
ShadySmurf's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Labama
Oddometer: 540
Any of you fellas planing a Arkansas trip this spring? Or maybe want to think about one? I could get there for a weekend or a long weekend...Just an idea.
ShadySmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #14185
slowoldguy
Tire Tester
 
slowoldguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: West of Waco, Texas
Oddometer: 8,752
(Delete double)
__________________
RTB V- The Texas ADV Rally- Hurry before we fuck this up!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
"If you can't fix it with a hammer you can damn sure teach it a lesson".

slowoldguy screwed with this post 03-09-2013 at 02:10 PM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #14186
slowoldguy
Tire Tester
 
slowoldguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: West of Waco, Texas
Oddometer: 8,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadySmurf View Post


I found a mud puddle once.
Yup. I saw the video. ;)
__________________
RTB V- The Texas ADV Rally- Hurry before we fuck this up!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
"If you can't fix it with a hammer you can damn sure teach it a lesson".
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #14187
slowoldguy
Tire Tester
 
slowoldguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: West of Waco, Texas
Oddometer: 8,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadySmurf View Post
Any of you fellas planing a Arkansas trip this spring? Or maybe want to think about one? I could get there for a weekend or a long weekend...Just an idea.
Ooh. Ooh. In.
__________________
RTB V- The Texas ADV Rally- Hurry before we fuck this up!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
"If you can't fix it with a hammer you can damn sure teach it a lesson".
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #14188
ShadySmurf
Does Own Stunts
 
ShadySmurf's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Labama
Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Ooh. Ooh. In.

That's a good start! I've never been to this state, which area should I start looking at for planing?
ShadySmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #14189
slowoldguy
Tire Tester
 
slowoldguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: West of Waco, Texas
Oddometer: 8,752
Joe. There are several spring dual-sport rides and rallies in Arky-saw. We need to start gathering dual sport routes and roads. It is a hard state to run dirt routes in. I have tried. Sucked at it more than once. Let's try to get some local "boots on the ground" knowledge.
__________________
RTB V- The Texas ADV Rally- Hurry before we fuck this up!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
"If you can't fix it with a hammer you can damn sure teach it a lesson".

slowoldguy screwed with this post 03-09-2013 at 05:42 PM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #14190
slowoldguy
Tire Tester
 
slowoldguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: West of Waco, Texas
Oddometer: 8,752
And I have helped route a couple of dual sporters from Arkansas in Texas They have offered to return the favor. Just have to remember who the hell they were. Operation: Invade Arkansas is on!!
__________________
RTB V- The Texas ADV Rally- Hurry before we fuck this up!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
"If you can't fix it with a hammer you can damn sure teach it a lesson".
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015