User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2009, 11:49 AM   #1
lostnomad OP
Where the hell am I?

Oddometer: 13
Headlight stays on...650gs?

Ok, admittedly electrical is NOT my strong suit so I was hoping for a little help....

I have a '01 650gs and the last couple days the headlight has stayed on when I turned the bike off! I have checked all the connections and fuses...and that's about the extent of my abilities. I am now forced to pull the seat off and pull the fuse every time I stop somewhere...kind of a pain in the ass! Any help would be greatly appreciated...
lostnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
gfountain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
I have some schematics for my '06 Dakar. It may be different than your bike but the power for the headlight comes from the battery to a load relief relay. When the load relief relay is energized the contacts close and electricty flows to the head light. The relief relay is energized when you turn on the ignition. Think of the ignition as a switch that turns on another switch (the load relief relay) that powers the head light. If your bike has the same set up I would suspect either the load relief relay is bad and the contacts stay closed or there is a problem with the ignition switch and even though you turn the key the power to the load relief relay stays on. In simple turns either the first switch, the ignition switch, never turns off or the second switch, the load relief relay, never turns off. I don't know if all that makes sense to you but you need to locate the relay and check for power to the relay. If power to the relay turns on and off as you rotate the key that means the ignition switch is good. Then check the continuity through the contacts of the load relief relay to see if they are staying closed thereby keeping power to the head light at all times. All of the relays on my Dakar are under the faux tank immediately behind the steering bearing. I think some of the regular 650's have these relays in other places under the faux tank.

All this assumes your wiring is the same as mine. I suggest going to the F650.com site for help. Someone there will be able to help you with your specific year.

After I typed all this I went to the f650.com site and found this schematic.

http://faq.f650.com/GSFAQs/Photos/Do.../Diagram-I.pdf

It is the same set up as my Dakar. Hope this helps. Get in touch if you need help walking through the process.

'05 R1200RT, '06 WR450F, '11 990 Adventure

AMA, BMWMOA, BMWMCC, COHVCO
gfountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:51 PM   #3
lostnomad OP
Where the hell am I?

Hey thanks a lot for the advice. I kind of assumed it was a relay since I had the ignition switch replaced last year. Now my challenge will be to FIND the relay...I wiill look where you said or maybe ask those guys at F650.com. I called BMW and they could not tell me how much a new one was because I don't have the part#.....ANYONE KNOW THE PART# FOR THE LOAD RELIEF RELAY.....OR WHERE THE HELL IT IS? Anyways...thanks again for the help. I'll start tracing wires and see where I end up....
Old 11-18-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Both Max BMW and Chicago BMW have online parts screens.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...=021999-092003
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:06 PM   #5
f650gsa
de la Mobra la BMW

Oddometer: 532
All the relays are in between the battery and steam . You will have to take apart all the fairings , the bracket that holds the battery in place and you should be able to see 6 relays hidden there . If you follow the wiring that leads to the headlight you should be able to figure out the relay that you looking for . Good Luck with the project
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostnomad
Hey thanks a lot for the advice. I kind of assumed it was a relay since I had the ignition switch replaced last year. Now my challenge will be to FIND the relay...I wiill look where you said or maybe ask those guys at F650.com. I called BMW and they could not tell me how much a new one was because I don't have the part#.....ANYONE KNOW THE PART# FOR THE LOAD RELIEF RELAY.....OR WHERE THE HELL IT IS? Anyways...thanks again for the help. I'll start tracing wires and see where I end up....
f650gsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:06 PM   #6
alex2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostnomad
ANYONE KNOW THE PART# FOR THE LOAD RELIEF RELAY.....OR WHERE THE HELL IT IS?
I think the part number is

61361393412 MINI-RELAY, NO CONTACT, BLACK (BLACK), $13.96

There are two identical ones right next to each other, the Load relief relay and the Motronic relay. Don't remember which one is which. They are in the little frame triangle between the battery and steering head. I think you can get to it by taking the top faux tank panel off, removing the starter relay, and the little plastic cover. I do not think the battery has to come out.

Here's a pic of the area; you can kind of see the two black relays side by side in the background on the left, next to the big green one:

Good luck!
alex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:33 AM   #7
Railbender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2
I think the part number is

61361393412 MINI-RELAY, NO CONTACT, BLACK (BLACK), $13.96

There are two identical ones right next to each other, the Load relief relay and the Motronic relay. Don't remember which one is which. They are in the little frame triangle between the battery and steering head. I think you can get to it by taking the top faux tank panel off, removing the starter relay, and the little plastic cover. I do not think the battery has to come out.

Here's a pic of the area; you can kind of see the two black relays side by side in the background on the left, next to the big green one:

Good luck!
The Load Relief relay is the one on the left (in the corner).

Old 11-20-2009, 05:01 PM   #8
lostnomad OP
Where the hell am I?

Wow you guys rock! Called BMW...they have the relay in stock. I'm gonna tackle it tommorrow. Thanks SOOOO much!
Old 04-11-2013, 05:18 AM   #9
Namsuah
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Was this the fix?

I am having this exact problem with my 2002 F650GS.
After I changed my battery the headlght stayed on when I took out the key. Unfortunately, the nearest dealer is 60+ miles away. Did you replace the relief relay?
Thanks for the update.
Namsuah is offline   Reply With Quote