User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2009, 11:56 AM   #1
ducnut OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,166
Ducnut's, new-to-me, '09 Tiger1050 thread

I hope this isn't too audacious, but, I had requests for more info and didn't want to T/J someone else's thread. So, I'm starting this one to chronicle my progress with farkles and such.

I'd been wanting and casually looking, since they came out in 2007. I'd taken three different test rides, the last one with my GF on the back. She had stated how nice it would be to take an extended trip, except, that we have sportbikes. That, combined with my desire to go to AK, got me to thinking a little more seriously. I knew I wasn't comfortable assuming the debt of a new one, so I started looking around for something used. I stumbled across this one.

2009 Tiger, Tank Bag, Heated Grips, Hand Guards, Center Stand, Side Cases, 3300 miles.

This seemed like a decent deal, given what the OTD price was on a new one from the dealer. The pics looked good. I thought "can't be anything wrong with a 3 month old bike". Well, I was a bit mistaken, or a bit too expectant. I figured a fairly new bike would still look new. This one wasn't. So, I spent a day cleaning, changing all the fluids, and doing a general checkover. After that productive day, I felt better about my purchase, as it, now, looked like it should've when it rolled out of the trailer.

I've had it out on a few rides, and am working on a windscreen solution, utilizing a Cal-Sci shield. I've installed Pazzo shorties, Gerbings controllers, HID kit, and Cox radiator and oil cooler guards. The OEM sidecases are useless and not crashworthy, so I'm looking at the TraX setup. I'm, also, thinking of SW Motech crashbars, a power block, master ground, and a Stebel. And, the suspension needs a reworking. I had conversed with Traxxion Dynamics for a solution, before the purchase. They have a shop mule that they've fiddled over the last year, or so. With that and their Suspension Stimulus Packages, I decided to order their AK-20 cartridges and a Penske 8983. I think that'll be it. Although, I've been looking at those too bright, silver bits scattered about. I'm thinking of some hard anodizing and powdercoating. Hmmm.

I'll just start with an initial post with pics and chronicle the mods in subsequent posts. I'll put more detailed info and pics into those.

Anti-rattle clips removed. This allows the pads to float; reducing pad drag. Also, allow more airflow through the caliper to help cool the pads.

The best of both worlds!

What's in my stable.

More info on the Daytona 675 can be found here.

More info on the SV650S can be found here.

ducnut screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 11:58 AM
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:07 PM   #2
ducnut OP
Beastly Adventurer

Gerbing's controllers.

I don't think there's a need to explain what they do. However, mounting the switches was a bit of a learning experience. I saw how large the infill panels were and just assumed I had options. Unfortunately, the way the fairing, side panels, and infills fasten together dictates that anything protruding through the infills must go into a very specific area. I won't detail the battery hookups, as that's pretty basic. I experimented with various connector locations, though. What I found to work best was at the left, front corner of the seat. They're not secured, as the seat and bodywork seams hold them in place. I'd like to mount a passenger setup, too. However, that'll be looked at once the TraX and a charging system monitor are mounted.

The connectors are at the left, front corner of the seat.

ducnut screwed with this post 12-30-2009 at 01:42 PM
Old 11-17-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
ducnut OP
Beastly Adventurer

Pazzo shorties.

I really like these levers. I have them on my Daytona and her SV. They feel so much nicer than the OEM levers. They have a different profile and bend; much easier on the fingers. I only use three fingers on the clutch and two on the brake, so they're the perfect length. Yes. It seems trivial, but, every time I grab the levers I think about it. Reasonably priced, in the world of aftermarket levers.

ducnut screwed with this post 12-30-2009 at 01:39 PM
Old 11-17-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
ducnut OP
Beastly Adventurer

Cox Racing Group radiator and oil cooler guards.

I feel that these are an essential addition. This bike already had a significant ding in the oil cooler that damaged some of the fins and a tube. I've learned by running my Daytona at the track that these fragile items have to be protected from oncoming debris. I've had people say "I can make something like that with mesh from Auto Zone". Umm. No you can't. The frames are intricately laser cut and CNC bent. They're really nice pieces. Also, they don't inhibit airflow like some of the other offerings I've seen. I have them on the Daytona and her SV, too.

The instructions are somewhat vague because there are no illustrations to go with the text. You have to make two relief cuts in the fascia for mounting the oil cooler guard. I fired up my tablesaw to make those cuts. Nice and clean.

ducnut screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 12:01 PM
Old 11-17-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
dietDrThunder
Why so serious, son?

Oddometer: 19
Love that bike...nice job so far! A Tiger is on my short list of bikes (looking to buy in the not-too-distant future) so I'm interested to hear about your experiences, farkles, etc. Are we gonna get riding impressions later on?

BTW you really can make your own guards for the rad and oil cooler. The right thickness mesh is available at Home Depot and/or Lowes, and you can cut and bend them in about 10 minutes. I've made 7 or 8 of them for various track bikes, and they work just as well as the pre-fab jobbers.
WERA Expert #13
DoD #11011
dietDrThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
ducnut OP
Beastly Adventurer

DDM Tuning HID kits

I have these on the Daytona with dual 35W kits in 7000K. With the Tiger I decided to go whiter and brighter. I ordered a 35W low-beam and a 50W high-beam in 6000K. This is the most gratifying mod I've done on both bikes. I can't explain just how bright they are or how much better one can see down the road.

Installation is pretty straight forward, as the kits are plug-and-play. You only need to drill a 1" hole in the bottom of the reflector covers you see on the backside of the headlights. Mounting the ballasts is really easy. I used the included double-sided adhesive pads. I have them temporarily stuck to the inside of the gas tank area, where the fork tubes swing. They'll get plenty of airflow there. However, I'm going to upgrade the mounting method with some industrial-grade velcro, as the adhesive pads aren't a secure enough method, for me. You'll want to take the time to properly adjust the beams to your satisfaction. I went out on a deserted, country road one night and just fiddled away. From the factory, both of mine were way left.

I changed out the position lights to some simple, amber bulbs. I tried to find matching LED's when I outfitted the Daytona, but, everything I tried didn't look right. This is a decent looking compromise.

These are from my Daytona, but, the same on the Tiger.

ducnut screwed with this post 12-30-2009 at 01:36 PM
Old 11-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #7
ducnut OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietDrThunder
Love that bike...nice job so far! A Tiger is on my short list of bikes (looking to buy in the not-too-distant future) so I'm interested to hear about your experiences, farkles, etc. Are we gonna get riding impressions later on?

BTW you really can make your own guards for the rad and oil cooler. The right thickness mesh is available at Home Depot and/or Lowes, and you can cut and bend them in about 10 minutes. I've made 7 or 8 of them for various track bikes, and they work just as well as the pre-fab jobbers.
For sure, I'll do a before/after riding impression with the suspension upgrade post. I have all the damping maxed and it's still floaty. The shock will be here in about 10 days. I've got to get the forks off and sent out. I'll probably do that later in the week. If everything goes right, I'll be at Barber with it Mother's Day weekend, along with the Daytona.

On a racebike, homemade stuff is definitely adequate, as it's a tool and crashing is part of the deal. But, for a bike this nice, homemade is sorta' like putting a tube grille on a Bentley.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #8
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,181
Cox racing group

Found 'em.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:50 PM   #9
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut
I thought "can't be anything wrong with a 3 month old bike". Well, I was a bit mistaken, or a bit too expectant.
Can you be specific? What sort of issues did you run into?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut
Anti-rattle clips removed. This allows the pads to float; reducing pad drag. Also, allow more airflow through the caliper to help cool the pads.
"Pad drag?"

Jesse

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:05 PM   #10
ducnut OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood
Can you be specific? What sort of issues did you run into?

"Pad drag?"

Jesse
Nothing mechanical. It's just that if I sell a bike to someone, especially over the internet, I'm going to make sure that bike is spotless when it leaves my place. I don't want for the buyer to be letdown or have any issues against me. This bike looked like it had never been washed. It was covered in bugs, had bugs living in the body panels, chain and sprocket were rusted, despite being covered in the OEM chain grease, loose body panel bolts, just plain filthy and neglected. It came with a Triumph tank bag and the binding on it is purple, as if it and the bike lived outside, uncovered. I didn't want to air the dirty laundry, but, it's out there, now. I'm giving it a good home. So, the rest is behind me.

Removing the anti-rattle clips is just a "trick" used with race bikes. It allows the pads to move much more freely and float. Makes changing the pads easier, too. Yes. You can occasionally hear some pad noise (nothing annoying), but, the wheel spins so much more freely. It's just something I do and thought I'd throw it out there.

ducnut screwed with this post 11-17-2009 at 02:36 PM
Old 11-17-2009, 02:30 PM   #11
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,606
Duc -- I've also removed hte anti-rattle clips from most of my bikes -- old habits die hard . . . . . . . .

If the trax bags had been available when I set up my 07 Tiger, I likely would have gone that route -- still, the Givis work well, and look just fine from the saddle ;-}

I look forward ot reading more!
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:39 PM   #12
ducnut OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015
Duc -- I've also removed hte anti-rattle clips from most of my bikes -- old habits die hard . . . . . . . .

If the trax bags had been available when I set up my 07 Tiger, I likely would have gone that route -- still, the Givis work well, and look just fine from the saddle ;-}

I look forward ot reading more!
Some of the Givi setups are really nice. There's a SY one over on the Tiger board that is super sharp. He color matched them to the bike, including the chin fairing. Another nice thing with them, is the size of the topbox you can run. For me, that's the biggest drawback with the TraX.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:06 PM   #13
Lloyd574
Victory

Oddometer: 212
Where are you at in Illinois, what dealer do you get parts from? WOP?

Lloyd574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:35 PM   #14
ducnut OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd574
Where are you at in Illinois, what dealer do you get parts from? WOP?
Holy crap! You're close to me, then. Taylorville. I drive right past the World of Crooks. I do all my business at MCC in Villa Park (west 'burbs of Chicago).
Old 11-17-2009, 06:40 PM   #15
Lloyd574
Victory

Oddometer: 212
I am between Champaign and Decatur, Cisco..

My last traffic ticket I got out of was in Taylorville 89 in a 55 on a ZRX1200..Well 2 of us on ZRX`s.

I get my parts from WOP`s..They have thier ups and downs...

Lets ride..PM me for my email..
Lloyd574 is offline   Reply With Quote