Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2009, 10:58 AM   #61
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVJake
that right there, tells me you dont know what youre talkin' about. the terrain he is riding is smooth track, if you dont think so then you've never ridden a proper dirt bike.

the thing that lit my ears up was saying that this bike would outride an SE. simply not true.

the entire chassis & engine was built to race out of the box on a 950SE. the 800GS even with 20K in gear, its still an 800GS. Maybe it could keep up with an SE, but beat it? nup.

If you want to be proven wrong, which you probably wont, just head on over to orange crush and have a flick through the 950SE photo thread. Or have a looksie on youtube.
Wow, you're really out to compare sizes here, buddy! Here you come and get all serious and take the thread to negative-town...

Just another ADVRider dick-swinging contest accompanied with massive flying assumptions.....

In your ripe 25 years of life and however fewer years you've ridden motorcycles, you've ridden a race equipped rally or enduro bike?? And no I'm not talking about a stock KTM with their catchy "Ready to Race" slogan attached. I'm talking a real race ready bike, whether it be a KTM, BMW, Yamaha, Suzuki, whatever. I haven't. Not many of us have. And given you're level of defense in this subject, looks like you haven't either. The bike in this thread is far more race-prepped than many other bikes I've even seen on this forum, other than an actual Dakar bike. Maybe you don't really know what race-ready means?... So let's both put the tally's away. You take your Orange Crush and Orange flavored Kool-Aid and go back to Orange Crush, and I'll stay here in BMW Kool-Aid land and drool over this bike. Thanks.

The Griz screwed with this post 11-20-2009 at 11:18 AM
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:28 AM   #62
The Griz
North Forest Rider

KTM Doesn't make the SE anymore anyway!!
Old 11-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #63
Boxerlove
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Stefano got 5th on his F800GS on the iron road prolouge at erzberg. I think that is amazing for virtually a privateer with help from bi-tubo. Yeah ktm got 1st-3rd but that was with factory support, full profesional riders, and factory prepped bikes. Both the SE and even the stock F800GS are great bikes. Can't we all just get along and ride together? How many people on this forum can even ride an SE to its full potential?
Boxerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:45 AM   #64
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerlove
Stefano got 5th on his F800GS on the iron road prolouge at erzberg. I think that is amazing for virtually a privateer with help from bi-tubo. Yeah ktm got 1st-3rd but that was with factory support, full profesional riders, and factory prepped bikes. Both the SE and even the stock F800GS are great bikes. Can't we all just get along and ride together? How many people on this forum can even ride an SE to its full potential?
You make a very good point. Great post.

Truce everyone, they're all great bikes.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:45 AM   #65
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Damn, riding season must be over with! It's gonna be a looooonngggg winter!
Old 11-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #66
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,262
Where are those WeeStrom riders when you need them?
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:22 PM   #67
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
Where are those WeeStrom riders when you need them?
+1
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:44 PM   #68
Chop Chop
Hector erector

Oddometer: 1,528
Quote:

How many people can ride any bike to its full potential???

Old 11-20-2009, 07:49 PM   #69
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffAgain

Valentino Rossi?!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:55 PM   #70
Chop Chop
Hector erector

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
Valentino Rossi?!
Touche
Old 11-20-2009, 09:52 PM   #71
craigincali
Just hanging around

Oddometer: 1,716
Does anyone have any idea what brand fork guards those are? And that tiny "windshield"?
craigincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:40 PM   #72
Boxerlove
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffAgain

That's exactly my point. The difference between a SE and this race ready F800GS are marginal at best and for the average rider will make no difference at all in that persons performance off road. I personally though would take an HP2e anyday over both of them.
Boxerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:23 AM   #73
Chop Chop
Hector erector

Quote:
That's exactly my point. The difference between a SE and this race ready F800GS are marginal at best and for the average rider will make no difference at all in that persons performance off road. I personally though would take an HP2e anyday over both of them.
Totally agree, these pissing contests between bikes/manufactures mean little if anything at all. I enjoy looking at what others have done to their bike or what is even possible. But best of all, watching pro riders do their stuff regardless of brand with as much envy as possible, wishing for only a fraction of their talent. The rider makes the bike, not the other way round.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:40 AM   #74
mtothef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
beautiful but big...

lurking around in the beasts forum and listening to people argue about which 400+ pound bike is a better dirt bike is sorta like being a voyeur at a chubby chasers swing party. leaves me feeling queasy, but i just... can't... stop... watching...

i own an rxv550 aprilia. got rid of a perfectly functional xr650r and a perfectly perfect ktm200exc to get the thing. i am slower almost everywhere in real dirt on the aprilia, except for maybe those rare times when i'm out in the desert and can just wring the thing open without being afraid for my life. it is too big and too fast for what 90 percent of the dirt riding i do. and it is still gotta be a good 75 or so pounds lighter than any of the bikes being bandied about here.

looking at pictures and videos of dudes roosting either tricked out f800s or se950s around dirt parking lots or "slightly bumpy" ground, or hearing about how they ruled erzberg when they really ruled a very wide, very smooth fire road that some dude from slovakia also ruled on an r1 with knobbies, well, it makes me wonder just what some people think of in terms of "real world dirt bike riding."

maybe i'm spoiled. i can go ride in the sierras and tangle myself up in twisty rocky technical singletrack for days on end. i can head out to the desert and climb really long gnarly hillclimbs or roost down arroyos full of head size rocks or just hold it wide open on a lake bed. so i don't have to pretend that riding a dirt road with a freeway next to it, or a muddy doubletrack with fences every 200 yards, or something that looks like an abandoned gravel loading station is actually worthy of being called "off road riding."

that tricked out f800 looks awesome. i want one. i want a 950 se too. but damned if i'm gonna pretend for a second that they'll be anything but a major scary handful in any kind of real dirt... they're still heavy, overpowered pigs. i guess i always did have a thing for the chubby ones...
mtothef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:40 AM   #75
Bartron
Bike Punisher

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigincali
Does anyone have any idea what brand fork guards those are? And that tiny "windshield"?
The windshield I think is this Twalcom but cut down asymmetrically LINKY

+1 on the fork guards - they would be perfect for my high-fender conversion.

Ciao.

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."
Bartron is offline   Reply With Quote