Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2009, 10:11 PM   #91
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVJake

here is a relatively stock 950 ADV...
turning an 800GS into a race bike is a waste of time and money when you can just buy the KTM.
Oh for fuck's sake. Go troll somewhere else.

Btw, what does "relatively" mean? I didn't see anything done there I couldn't do on my "relatively" stock 800GS.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:01 AM   #92
F800 Rob
MotoInsight

Oddometer: 1,042
Can't we all just get along?

We all suck at this shit regardless of what we ride.

That includes you.

And you.

And me.

Not Stefano though. Just sayin...

Finishing 5th in the Erzberg as a privateer is sick.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:34 AM   #93
ADVJake
i like stuff

Oddometer: 4,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by F800 Rob
Can't we all just get along?

We all suck at this shit regardless of what we ride.

That includes you.

And you.

And me.

Not Stefano though. Just sayin...

Finishing 5th in the Erzberg as a privateer is sick.

that bike finished 5th in erzberg? i stand corrected. i'll go back to my cave now.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:35 AM   #94
God of Speed
Lost when found..........

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVJake
that bike finished 5th in erzberg? i stand corrected. i'll go back to my cave now.
yeah you keep walkin' boy.
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
God of Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:50 AM   #95
skamikazee
Noviço

Oddometer: 245
For those who are wondering
"What exactly is .... THE Erzberg Rodeo?"

Old 11-22-2009, 04:33 AM   #96
TR5ESU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by skamikazee
For those who are wondering
"What exactly is .... THE Erzberg Rodeo?"
Those seem to be hare scramble or rocket ride races. I think the F800GS raced in the prologue race in the twin cylinder category. I am hoping to go as an spectator for 2010.. I have a brother living in Austria so it wouldn't be too hard to organize the trip.

Cheers!
TR5ESU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:55 AM   #97
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcorral
The bike's performance will only make a difference if you can get 100% of its potential out of it... Until you get there (we probably never will as we will not turn pro) enjoy your ride and focus on improving your skills on what ever bike you like
Yes and No. Improved suspension can help riders at all levels, just those that push it harder will notice/need the improvements more. To imply that most riders will never benefit because they aren't riding a bike at a competitive skill level is just wrong. First time I rode an 800 down a hardpack rutted road at speed I knew the dampening in the forks was lousy and different valving would make it better. Was I pushing it 100%? As far the stock valving doing it's job, yes, but that doesn't mean that other guys couldn't push it harder and ride faster than I did. I haven't seen any of the Bitubo adopters claim they are capable of getting 100% out of the stock bike, yet they all rave about how much better it is now.

Again all this talk of "it's rider skill, not the bike" is of course true. But equipment DOES matter. There will always be somebody that can get more out of a machine...well, except for ONE guy

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:11 AM   #98
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,707
Man... watching that Erzberg footage makes my heart pound. I can't think of anything that tests the limits of safety equipment more than that lol. (I was about to say test the limits of human and machine but the Dakar race does that pretty well too).
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #99
mtothef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
erzberg and erzberg...

Yup, no two ways about it, the Erzberg enduro is one of the gnarliest things people can do in the dirt. Between that, and events like Romaniacs and Last Man Standing and even stadium enduro stuff, the concept of "off road" riding is getting radical-er.

Just don't go thinking that any big BMW or KTM has ever come close to finishing the full-on Erzberg. When people are talking about "the factory KTM twins winning Erzberg" or "the BMW that came 5th" they are referring to the hillclimb prologue, which is a high speed gravel road time trial. Rocky, fast as shit, but not exactly the gnalrfest that defines the rest of the event...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
Man... watching that Erzberg footage makes my heart pound. I can't think of anything that tests the limits of safety equipment more than that lol. (I was about to say test the limits of human and machine but the Dakar race does that pretty well too).
mtothef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:00 PM   #100
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,405
That bike sure appeals to me and kinda reinforces some thoughts on mods I have been considering. Narrower excel rims, cutting off the ankle breaker rear seat pegs, lighter muffler and a single front rotor setup. Are there some X challenge pieces there? Thinking perhaps the master cylinder and the rotor itself?
itsatdm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:01 PM   #101
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR5ESU
Those seem to be hare scramble or rocket ride races. I think the F800GS raced in the prologue race in the twin cylinder category. I am hoping to go as an spectator for 2010.. I have a brother living in Austria so it wouldn't be too hard to organize the trip.

Cheers!
Any references? Otherwise let's ask the bike owner where he rode it!

Either way, it's a bad ass bike.

My original point however is that a stock KTM and a stock BMW are both just that: stock. What this guy and Twalcom did to this heavily modified F800GS puts it far above stock KTM's, BMW's, Suzuki's, Yamaha's, etc. I've ridden KTM 640's and 990's. I've also ridden the F800GS for a year now. In stock form, all of these bikes I listed are fairly equal. Some are better in some areas but lack in others. Some lack in some areas but are better in others. Example: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=18In the end they even out in stock form. But, c'mon, let's be real: what's been done to this bike almost equals a full on Dakar Rally bike.

The Griz screwed with this post 11-22-2009 at 06:14 PM
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:15 PM   #102
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,357
Looks like a lot of fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtothef

Just don't go thinking that any big BMW or KTM has ever come close to finishing the full-on Erzberg. When people are talking about "the factory KTM twins winning Erzberg" or "the BMW that came 5th" they are referring to the hillclimb prologue, which is a high speed gravel road time trial. Rocky, fast as shit, but not exactly the gnalrfest that defines the rest of the event...

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:40 PM   #103
Boxerlove
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote Mtothef- "looking at pictures and videos of dudes roosting either tricked out f800s or se950s around dirt parking lots or "slightly bumpy" ground, or hearing about how they ruled erzberg when they really ruled a very wide, very smooth fire road that some dude from slovakia also ruled on an r1 with knobbies, well, it makes me wonder just what some people think of in terms of "real world dirt bike riding."

Well that's what I think is amazing about it. The pro's with HP2's and SE's are hitting triple digit speeds on 400 lb plus bikes with no run off or guard rails and huge drop offs on a extreme dirt road. There's all kinds of "real world dirt biking" in your terms. The guy with an R1 is just stupid!

Boxerlove screwed with this post 11-23-2009 at 10:29 AM
Boxerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:15 AM   #104
TR5ESU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Any references? Otherwise let's ask the bike owner where he rode it!
Here:
http://www.motorradreporter.at/jart/...sertbomber.pdf

Cheers
TR5ESU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:20 AM   #105
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,451
That is the coolest f800gs I have ever laid eyes on. Too bad the cost to get it there is so much. The 18 inch rear, better forks and rear suspension, and that engine guard alone make the bike way more offroad worthy.

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote