Did you see Ruskie there?
Old 10-02-2004, 05:36 AM   #50
AntWare OP
Lost In Translation

Oddometer: 16,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmostro
Did you see Ruskie there?
There was a big red faced fella beating some dreadlocked bums with a 2x4 but I wasn't about to stop and ask
stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth.
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Choose your future. Choose life.
I chose not to choose life, I chose something else instead.
AntWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 07:09 AM   #51
The Fist
Knulp

Oddometer: 3,584
Your report keeps getting better-- Too bad you slacked so hard on our Copper Canyon report; it may have looked half-interesting....

Keep it coming you literary master-bastard....

The Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 08:00 AM   #52
AntWare OP
Lost In Translation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fist
Your report keeps getting better-- Too bad you slacked so hard on our Copper Canyon report; it may have looked half-interesting....
after the part about rescuing the Suburban Adventurer from the death grip of the Chihuahuan Cartels hench men everything else just seemed so...well...blasé
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:28 AM   #53
cocoliso
Hijo de la Chingada

Oddometer: 150
I see that you jacked in the BM for a better bike then..

"What's up Ant-nee, why no more report, we all know that Manky Mancs can't string more than two sentences together.....is your ghost writer on strike"

O'Hooligan is welsh?..... bunch of bilingual illiterates...
cocoliso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 08:46 AM   #54
AntWare OP
Lost In Translation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoliso
I see that you jacked in the BM for a better bike then..

"What's up Ant-nee, why no more report, we all know that Manky Mancs can't string more than two sentences together.....is your ghost writer on strike"

O'Hooligan is welsh?..... bunch of bilingual illiterates...
Still got the Beemer mate, though 'aven't ridden it much.

Not Welsh but close enough, he's a scally...been suprisingly quiet for a couple of weeks though
Old 10-02-2004, 11:05 AM   #55
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,309
Finally got a chance to read the whole report. This is one of the finest reports I'ver ever seen. Now I'm hooked - finish it!

Even though I rode to Ouray, my family met me there and we drove the Jeep back to Montana with an enclosed trailer with Penco Power Products on the side. We were on the same route as you from I70 to Provo. A couple of hours outside of Provo, a 950 blew past us waving. Was that you?
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
I only like two kinds of women, foreign and domestic
dirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 12:14 PM   #56
AntWare OP
Lost In Translation

Saturday 13/07/04

The ferry's 2nd to last stop at Haines serves me better than Skagway which is another hour or so in the wrong direction up the Taiya inlet. The downside being that we're tossed into the cold, dark, rainy night at 2am.

Knowing this was our last night together we'de foregone the few hours sleep afforded us since leaving Juneau and spent the time finishing off the booze, packing gear in the dark, and giggling like a bunch of pre-pubescent school kids every time someone tripped over one of the many mummy bagged corpses strewn around the deck...

...nothing worse than being sober 'round a bunch-a-drunks

Haines sits at the northern end of Americas largest fjord and is surrounded by around 20 million acres of protected wilderness, including one of the worlds premier Bald Eagle nesting sights along the Chilkat River, comprising of over 3000 birds. The whole Juneau/Haines/Skagway area could very easily be a destination in it's own right...but not this trip.

I've had a good time on board The Malaspina but i'm chomping at the bit and more than ready to get back on the bike and hit the road. Loaded and ready to roll, she fires first crack and sounds like an angry bear prematurely woken from a deep sleep. As the cold engine catches it's breath and tries to find it's idle, the sound resonates off of the steel walls in the belly of the ship making the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.

Imagine the slow, slippery ride through the bowels of the ship as a trip down the birth canal, then riding up the ramp and onto terra firma is akin to being held upside down by your ankles and smacked on the arse. Most everone else is long gone as I sit alone watching the thick waves of fog wash over the orange tinted street lights leading in either direction. The moment of truth...do you walk off into the cold, wet dimly lit night, or do you return to the familiar warmth and comfort of what you know?

I take one last quick glance over my shoulder as I click the bike in gear...
...slowly release the clutch...
...and stall the bike in the car park...

Haines

It's less than 50 miles to the Canadian border which isn't going to be open for a while so I head out through Haines on Hwy 7 looking for somewhere sheltered to crash for a while. The fog rolling in from the ocean has me saturated as it cuts visibility down to a wildlife camouflaging 50 ft...it's another "laughing out loud inside your helmet" WTF am I doing here, trip.

At a crossroads about 10 miles out of town I come across two pickups stopped on the shoulder, lights on, windows down...it's four of the wrecking crew from the ferry. Denise and Mindy from the Mid-West and Ian & Aaron from Colorado had called and found a cabin for the night but had made a wrong turn somehwere in the fog. A quick search on the GPS and I have them on their way again...and have myself a warm bed for the night

But it's no good, I can't sleep. After about four hours of tossing and turning I write a goodbye message on a $20, leave it on the dresser, and tip-toe out the door. Don't want 'em talking about what a tight bastard I am after i'm gone

The sun's already burnt most of the fog off and moving inland is taking care of the rest. As the road climbs the temps stay in the 50's, but it's still early yet and the specks of blue peaking through the clouds hold some promise of things to come.

On the ship, the lads from Colorado were panicking a bit over the border crossing. One of them had DWI a few years back and had been refused entry into Canada when they'd originally tried to cross from Montana into British Columbia a few days earlier. I hope their crossing was as uneventful as mine, which consisted of chatting to a portly, jolly, GS owner-to-be, for about an hour...I think i'm gonna like this place

In this day and age i'm wary of snapping pictures at border crossings so decide to mount up and head on across the short piece of BC...i'll get you later mofo

I bag the sign as I cross into the Yukon
"Canada's True North"

Canadian Hwy 7 turns into US Hwy 3 on the way to Haines Junction. The road surface reminds me of many of the rural roads back in England, narrow, twisty, and of questionable surface traction...pay attention...or pay the consequences...is that a bad thing?...I think not. I stop by Dezadeash Lake to snap some shots and let the adrenaline levels drop.

As drop dead, breath takingly gorgeous as the scenery is, I can't help but find myself running at breakneck speeds, clipping blind apex's and throwing up dust as I almost run out of road on corner exits...all the while sporting a grin as wide as a Cheshire cat

It's the KTM's fault, it brings out the worst in me...me and the Orange were meant to be...I'm not sure how healthy a mutually destructive relationship can be, but...

I know it's gonna be expensive,
I know it's gonna be painful, and
I know It's gonna end up in tears

But I just can't help me self

I leave Canada for the last time on this leg...

...and enter back into the great state of Alaska.

Not sure why, but there's a sense of accomplishment with each border crossing...maybe it comes from living in Texas...

The sun has risen
the sun has set
and we haven't left Texas yet.

I stop to get fuel for the bike and myself at Haines junction where I bump into Dan from Sweden on an African V-Twin. We trade stories, as we've both just experienced what the other is about to. He warns me of the 3 million acres of forest fires he has ridden through while I warn him to avoid school teachers

I have a relatively uneventful run up to Tok (Toke) and snag a camp spot at the Sourdough Campground. Besides coming highly recomended they have a BBQ with live music tonight...yeah baby...shit kickin' it, Northern Exposure style

Tok is a major crossroad and it's hard to ride into Alaska without hitting it oneway or another. Rumour has it the town was renamed during the WWII from Tokyo to Tok ...imagine that.

As I'm setting up camp, Kristina from Germany pulls up on her bicycle
She's on the road for 3 months, this being her 3rd time here. Once tents are setup, laundry is done and we're showered off, we head into town on the KTM. She's amazed at how much ground we can cover in such a short time...lesse...I normally cover in an hour, what you cover in a day...you do the maths
Why anybody would cycle across Alaska of all places at 50 miles a day is beyond me. It reaffirms to me that there is really only one viable mode of transportion

All the restaurants are packed with fire crews who've been fighting record setting fires throughout the state. Kristina tells me of the depressing areas she's ridden through in the last few days, and the effect of the choking smoke and the dangers of displaced wildlife
I'd imagine at 10 mph there's plenty of time to contemplate things...10mph would be detrimental to my mental state

400 miles for the day

...and the radio played...Protection - Massive Attack

This girl I know needs some shelter
She don't believe anyone can help her
She's doing so much harm, doing so much damage
But you don't want to get involved
You tell her she can manage
And you can't change the way she feels
But you could put your arms around her

I know you want to live yourself
But could you forgive yourself
If you left her just the way
You found her

I stand in front of you
I'll take the force of the blow
Protection

Sometimes you look so small, need some shelter
Just runnin' round and round, helter skelter
And I've leaned on me for years
Now you can lean on me
And that's more than love, that's the way it should be
Now I can't change the way you feel
But I can put my arms around you
That's just part of the deal
That's the way I feel
I'll put my arms around you

I stand in front of you
I'll take the force of the blow
Protection

...thanks for listening.

AntWare screwed with this post 10-03-2004 at 07:08 PM
Old 10-02-2004, 02:35 PM   #57
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Man what a rockin' buncha pics, AW!
Old 10-02-2004, 02:49 PM   #58
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,389
great story ant.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 03:00 PM   #59
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,222
I don't care what Rider says about you Ant, you're alright. Great report man.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:27 PM   #60
AntWare OP
Lost In Translation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert
I don't care what Rider says about you
We have a lot in common

Thanks for taking the time to read it fellas