User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
Adam990 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Terrible experience with Cycleworks Edmonton and KTM Canada

A little background to this story, in April, I bought a 2009 KTM Adventure 990 from Cycleworks on the south side of Edmonton, about 2 weeks later the snowflake icon on the dash starts to blink that its cold outside, but its really not cold at all, so I ignored it for most of the summer until the last week in August, then the bike start stalling and sputtering, and left me stranded downtown 4 times at various places for a couple of hours throughout the evening.
I dropped the bike off at Cycleworks on September 10th and on the 23rd of September they call me and tell me its fixed, so I take time off work to go pick it up as soon as I can, and borrow a trailer from a friend, and get it home. I run inside, grab my gear and start it up and I can already tell from the idle they haven't fixed anything, they said they cleared the codes and took it for a test ride. I head out on the bike and head for Wayne Gretzky drive, but just before I head south on Wayne Gretzky, the bike starts to stall and buck again by the Agricom, I finally manage to limp it back home with it stalling several more times and phone Cycleworks to come pick it back up as I'm not going to bring it back there.

I still don't have the bike back..... today is the 18th of November, nearly 11 weeks to fix the running problem and the snowflake icon, and over 12 weeks that the bike hasn't run right

I find this to be completely unacceptable service from any shop, car, bike, bicycle, etc.

I've phoned KTM Canada multiple times now to see what the phook is going on with the bike as the service guys at Cycleworks keep telling me they are waiting on the tech support at KTM, KTM says they are emailing Cycleworks, and well its just a big ball of shit.

I've now made over $1000 in bike payments for a bike I haven't seen in nearly 3 months and no one seems to give a phook that I've missed the last 3 months of riding season, especially considering that the last 3 months of fall have been utterly gorgeous riding weather on a lot of the weekend

The last and final time I will grace the doors of any Cycleworks shop will be to pick up the bike for the last time, this has been an utterly ridiculous exercise in futility trying to get anything done at Cycleworks.
If I were you I wouldn't buy anything with a motor from them as the chances of them managing to fix it seem pretty goddamn slim.
unfortunately Canada doesn't have any lemon laws or I would be getting rid of this bike, although a lawyer may still be contacted to help me get rid of this piece of shit.

http://www.cycleworks.com/

Adam
Adam990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
kennyd
kennyd

Oddometer: 231
petition

did you sign the petition? (All 990 owners should rear this) so 2009 990 with the new system is still the same complaints?
kennyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
Worone
Rock Slinger

Oddometer: 300
Sorry to hear about all the crap you are going through! Once you get her fixed, come south and we can tear up some mountain passes.......

2007 KTM 950R SE
Chicks Dig Scars
Worone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
Adam990 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyd
did you sign the petition? (All 990 owners should rear this) so 2009 990 with the new system is still the same complaints?
Got a link to the petition?
apparently they haven't fixed the fuel pumps at all, 8300km on mine before it started to die, or at least thats what they told me they replaced .....
Old 11-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #5
Adam990 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worone
Sorry to hear about all the crap you are going through! Once you get her fixed, come south and we can tear up some mountain passes.......
Thanks, sad part was that I loved that bike more than anything, now I don't want it anymore after dealing with all this shit :(

I was actually planning on taking it to jasper/banff in september, but that sure didn't work out :(
Old 11-18-2009, 12:39 PM   #6
kennyd
kennyd

Oddometer: 231
petition 990 efi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam990
Got a link to the petition?
apparently they haven't fixed the fuel pumps at all, 8300km on mine before it started to die, or at least thats what they told me they replaced .....
it is on the first page title (all 990owners should read this) should be renamed petition on 990 efi problems! is your bike stock? no pipes? which map? canisterectomy done? valve clearence checked yet?
kennyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
Worone
Rock Slinger

Oddometer: 300
We get Chinooks all winter, south of Calgary the gravel roads are clear and dry. I ride all season, just dress warm, you still have plenty of time to ride down here. Good Luck!

2007 KTM 950R SE
Chicks Dig Scars
Worone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:07 AM   #8
japslap
Japslap

Oddometer: 139
not fit for purpose

Tell em your not gonna pay for the bike as its not fit for purpose,here in the uk we have sale of goods act,you guys must have something close,if the bike isnt workin i wouldnt be payin you've given them enough time to cure the fault..................
japslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:11 PM   #9
double_entendre
Ticking away the....

Oddometer: 4,010
Got this from a Google search for lemon laws in Canada.

Quote:
The Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan Canada - Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan is the dispute resolution program for consumers in Canada that have problems with the assembly of their vehicle or with how the manufacturer implements its new vehicle warranty. CAMVAP covers new or used owned or leased vehicles that are from the current model year and up to an additional four model years old.

CAMVAP is an arbitration program. It is free to consumers. Hearings are held in the consumer's home community. The process normally takes less than 70 days from start to finish. Most consumers are able to handle their own case without the assistance of lawyers. The manufacturers do not use lawyers. Their representatives usually are serving or retired district parts and services representatives. An inspection of the vehicle normally is part of an arbitration hearing and the arbitrator can order a technical inspection of the vehicle at the program's expense if doing so is required.

CAMVAP arbitrators can order the manufacturer to buyback the vehicle; repair it at the manufacturer's expense; pay for repairs already completed; pay out of pocket expenses for items such as towing, diagnostic testing, rental cars and accommodation related to the problem with the vehicle. The arbitrator can also order that the manufacturer has no liability.
CAMVAP is available in every Canadian Province and Territory.
HTH.

Rancho
Old 11-20-2009, 11:07 AM   #10
Adam990 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by japslap
Tell em your not gonna pay for the bike as its not fit for purpose,here in the uk we have sale of goods act,you guys must have something close,if the bike isnt workin i wouldnt be payin you've given them enough time to cure the fault..................
I think its gone on for long enough that I'm just going to call a lawyer and get the financing transfered to a new 2010 Adventure and just call this one a piece of shit and be done with it, I really dont want the bike back and really don't trust that the bike is fixed properly :(
I wish we had an actual lemon law here in Canada, but there is some arbitration rules, apparently it takes about 70 days to get through the process though and I want this wrapped up before Christmas!

I am going to phone the financing company though and talk to them about not having use of the bike for the last 3 months and see if they will do anything for me , although I have a feeling that they wont as they've paid out KTM and now they just want their money....
we'll see how that goes!
Old 11-20-2009, 11:08 AM   #11
Adam990 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_entendre
Got this from a Google search for lemon laws in Canada.

HTH.

Rancho
Thanks for the link, I had looked at this a while back and then forgot about it again
I think I'm going to open up a case with them, if they do motorcycles, I seem to remember looking a while ago and they didn't seem to do motorcycles
Old 11-20-2009, 11:12 AM   #12
Adam990 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyd
it is on the first page title (all 990owners should read this) should be renamed petition on 990 efi problems! is your bike stock? no pipes? which map? canisterectomy done? valve clearence checked yet?

I'll look for the petition!

Its a completely stock bike, no pipes, no canisterectomy (was going to do it if it started acting up, but it just started not running at all) and on the '09's the valve clearance check isn't until 15,000 km and mine only has 8300 km on it
Old 11-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #13
ADVTWIN
twinrider

Oddometer: 15
http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/ktm990
ADVTWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #14
japslap
Japslap

Oddometer: 139
good luck

Good luck buddy hope you get this sorted,might be worth telling the useless w@@kers who have your bike your going to be spreading the word on all the KTM forums how badly you.ve been treated,and id defo tell the finance company and if you have one where you are the trading standards or consumer rights people,theres no way this is acceptable.......
japslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:43 PM   #15
Faststage1
mmmm muuuud

Oddometer: 138
Sorry to hear your pain. I know the feeling, I'm going through the same troubles with the mighty Toyota. My new Tundra is already rusting and they're telling me "to bad so sad". Doesn't help you but I can empathize.
One part of your story is suspect however, nobody is going to believe you're having nice weather in Edmonchuk.
Hope you get it sorted out before the snow melts next June.
Faststage1 is offline   Reply With Quote