ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
DirtyRoadie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Prepping the 990 to sell

Too many bikes in the garage, gotta sell my '08 990Adv. abs. I'm looking for honest opinions here regarding prepping it for sale. The tires on it are Trail Attacks that will pass State inspection (barely). With the number of different tires available for different purposes that this bike can handle does it make sense for me to put new tires on it just to sell it. Same goes for chain and sprockets, with about 18,000 miles on the originals. Any constructive opinions would be appreciated as I consider people on this forum to be the most knowledgeable.
DirtyRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 748
I would clean the bike and take the best pictures you can for the add. I would not put a dime into any bike i was going to sell. Just make sure the price reflects the condition, give someone a good deal and move on.

I tried to sell mine for the same reason, too many bikes and the 950 does not get enough use. I have way over 10k in it with low miles and 2 sets of wheels I was asking $8k and got offers closer to $6k. Decided to keep it over loosing $4k. Next time I will take everything I can off it and take $6k for it.
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
dmn0507
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Agree with not putting momey on it.
Clean it and make it shiny and take nice pics in a sunny day, and just tell the new owner about the current conditions.
dmn0507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
I'm going to be a little contrary.

Be honest on the tires, and state that the price is accordingly adjusted to allow for personal choice, etc.

As far as the chain and sprockets, I'd replace them. For me it speaks more to good routine maintenance. If I'm looking at a bike that needs tires, and a chain and sprockets, I'm wondering "What else does it need?" and "If the guy is too cheap to do the basic stuff, did he ever check valves, change the oil, check the screens, flush coolant?"

I think the tires are easily explainable, but the basic maintenance is not.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #5
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,529
I think you can go wither way on the tires. But your gonna get ground down on price and/or have to discount the cost of a set of tires.

I personally always have a bike I sell be as ready as possible. Most people want a bike that they can buy and ride, some people don't care though. I got a buddy likes to buy the beaters, but he buys em super cheap.

I guess it depends if you want a fast sell for a low price, or if you want top dollar you can hold out and clean/prep it for top dollar.

GLWS

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgfiredude View Post
I'm going to be a little contrary.

Be honest on the tires, and state that the price is accordingly adjusted to allow for personal choice, etc.

As far as the chain and sprockets, I'd replace them. For me it speaks more to good routine maintenance. If I'm looking at a bike that needs tires, and a chain and sprockets, I'm wondering "What else does it need?" and "If the guy is too cheap to do the basic stuff, did he ever check valves, change the oil, check the screens, flush coolant?"

I think the tires are easily explainable, but the basic maintenance is not.
I would see needing a chain and sprockets just like needing tires. --- A perfect chance to choose the gear ratio I want. Getting it super clean goes a long way in making the buyer thinking you respect and take care of the bike. Personally, I love getting a good deal on a bike that needs some work and tearing it down to check/fix everything day 1... when I'm done the bike is reborn as MY BIKE..
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #7
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,884
1. Make it look as stock as possible.
2. Put new stock tires on it. Fix anything that prevents it from being ridden immediately. Paint chips, normal wear is ok.
3. Wash it, but don't dry it, take pictures while it is wet. The pictures really POP and the bike looks extra shiny.
4. Clean, clean, clean.
5. Never take low ball offers until they see the bike and are laying down cash.
6. Add back accessories when they want a lower price.
7. Accessories are worth about $0.10 on the dollar when you sell the bike. About $0.40 on the dollar when in the original box with receipts.
8. Prices it just below your desired price, the old $1.99 thing, it is a lot less than $2. If you want $8000, price it at $7950. It is stupid, but it works.

Myself? I give a big discount if I don't have to wash off the mud.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #8
smj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Wash it, dry it, detail it with some WD40. Then take your pics. Take note, if you get WD40 on the engine or pipe, run it before showing as it will smoke off. Good and clean chain, sprockets (worth replacing), clean air filter and box, clear break fluid, and reasonable tires. Let'em ping you on the tires if need be. The other items show you took care of the bike, and most buyers would feel they need to replace them prior to enjoying the bike. Which means cost and time to them.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:41 AM   #9
DirtyRoadie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Thanks for the responses even though there seems to be no consensus. Guess I'll just clean it up nice and put some new tires on it. When I bought my new bike a few months ago the dealer was going to give me $5500 for the 990. If I get any more than that I'll call it a victory.
DirtyRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #10
jds2835
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Pm sent
jds2835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #11
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyRoadie View Post
Thanks for the responses even though there seems to be no consensus. Guess I'll just clean it up nice and put some new tires on it. When I bought my new bike a few months ago the dealer was going to give me $5500 for the 990. If I get any more than that I'll call it a victory.
5500?? Wow.. I havent seen one for under $7K (Beat to hell) when I was shopping last fall the cheapest of them was in the 10K range, thats how I ended up with a 950...

Dave
pdxmotorhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #12
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,395
Replace the chain and sprockets....people see one thing that looks like poor maintenance and they wonder what all is wrong that they can't see, don't give them the opportunity to think that. A dealer would replace even the tires and that is how they make their living. If nothing else, a new chain and sprocket will make it sell quicker and there is value to that too.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #13
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyRoadie View Post
it may depend on location, i just sold my 06 950 w/ low miles for 7500 in a metro area but maybe fewer buyers further out
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #14
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,964
I think you already listed it.