ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Alaska & Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
OUTLAND MOTO OP
And then suddenly....
 
OUTLAND MOTO's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Oddometer: 412
Eh? Trying to get to the Artic Circle...from Quebec??

I need help here. I am trying to do something that seems to be quite difficult (logistically anyway).

I am trying to find a route that will allow me to touch the arctic circle from Quebec. I cannot seem to find any "roads" that will get me there. Myabe there is just no easy way to do this, but if anyone has a route that they think might work, I would LOVE to see it. Any aid here is appreciated!! Thanks all!!
__________________
OUTLAND MOTO
"There is no road to happiness...Happiness is the road."
OUTLAND MOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:49 AM   #2
Exurban
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Wilmington, DE
Oddometer: 592
If I'm not mistaken no roads go that far north in Quebec. James Bay road will take you to somewhere in the mid/hi 50 degrees or or so to Radisson.
__________________
'08 slate grey R1200GS
Exurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:00 AM   #3
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.
 
Skippii's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 6,506
Isn't Canada just a big block of ice up there? Can't you just...you know...ride North?
__________________
"Umm be careful what you say, this is Skippii....
You may get it delivered in the form of a shake or some interperative dance routine that involves nakedness, pizza and a stuffed raccoon..." -DCrider
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
OUTLAND MOTO OP
And then suddenly....
 
OUTLAND MOTO's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii
Isn't Canada just a big block of ice up there? Can't you just...you know...ride North?
I am just looking into the possibility. The trip I am planning is far off in the future. I have looked at the Garmin software and found nothing. I just thought I would try here and see if anyone knew anything more about it.

Seems that there is not a way to do it (easily or safely). And I am also finding that, apparently, my question was a bit stupid. Oh well. Thanks for the help.
__________________
OUTLAND MOTO
"There is no road to happiness...Happiness is the road."
OUTLAND MOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
sonicapollo
Adventure Addict
 
sonicapollo's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Ohio
Oddometer: 175
Go to Alaska
=D
sonicapollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:16 AM   #6
Exurban
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Wilmington, DE
Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi_inrem
I am just looking into the possibility. The trip I am planning is far off in the future. I have looked at the Garmin software and found nothing. I just thought I would try here and see if anyone knew anything more about it.

Seems that there is not a way to do it (easily or safely). And I am also finding that, apparently, my question was a bit stupid. Oh well. Thanks for the help.
Easily and safely are relative terms. As far as I know, there are two roads that go that far north in North America, the Dempster Highway and Dalton Highway in Northwest Territories and Alaska respectively. There are loads and loads of info on this site on both. Not a stupid question in the least.
__________________
'08 slate grey R1200GS
Exurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #7
OneWheelDrive
Gnarly Adventurer
 
OneWheelDrive's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Oddometer: 286
Technically the Dempster is the only all season highway in Canada that crossed the Arctic Circle. I've been working on a guide of essential riding the Dempster knowledge, convieniently just pushed part one out today: http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2009/11...ighway-part-1/
__________________
Neil Johnston
Tiger 800XC and Tiger Explorer 1200 Review Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4fbnw6De24
OneWheelDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #8
OUTLAND MOTO OP
And then suddenly....
 
OUTLAND MOTO's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exurban
Easily and safely are relative terms. As far as I know, there are two roads that go that far north in North America, the Dempster Highway and Dalton Highway in Northwest Territories and Alaska respectively. There are loads and loads of info on this site on both. Not a stupid question in the least.
Thanks everyone!!! Maybe I will make this trip a bit longer and head west!!
__________________
OUTLAND MOTO
"There is no road to happiness...Happiness is the road."
OUTLAND MOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #9
OneWheelDrive
Gnarly Adventurer
 
OneWheelDrive's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi_inrem
Thanks everyone!!! Maybe I will make this trip a bit longer and head west!!
I can only recommend the Dempster! It was gorgeous.


__________________
Neil Johnston
Tiger 800XC and Tiger Explorer 1200 Review Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4fbnw6De24
OneWheelDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:10 AM   #10
VladM
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada, as little as possible.
Oddometer: 45
James Bay Road and Trans-Taiga Road?

You can't get to arctic circle in Quebec, but you can still get pretty far north and enjoy some amazing roads and scenery. James Bay Road if pavement only is your thing and you want to get as far North as possible, Trans-Taiga if you fancy gravel and extreme remoteness. Both if you are up to a real adventure.

My JBR album

Good info for JBR and TT

VladM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:15 PM   #11
chaztor
KLR tank commander
 
chaztor's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Perinton NY; trail town USA but none for DS or MB
Oddometer: 223
was artic circle now north Quebec?

Thanks OP for the original question and VladM for the follow-up. I think I will make a new thread to avoid a highjacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladM
You can't get to arctic circle in Quebec, but you can still get pretty far north and enjoy some amazing roads and scenery. James Bay Road if pavement only is your thing and you want to get as far North as possible, Trans-Taiga if you fancy gravel and extreme remoteness. Both if you are up to a real adventure.

My JBR album

Good info for JBR and TT

chaztor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:20 AM   #12
Deadly99
Fast and Far
 
Deadly99's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Merrickville, Canada
Oddometer: 9,028
My sig line has a ride report of a trip we did last year up the Trans Taiga. To get further north in Quebec involves some odd logistics and doesn't get you much further. A town called Scheverville has roads that go a bit further but your options to get there are to fly from the end of the Trans Taiga or ride a railine from the Trans Lab Highway. Another Northern point that we are heading to this July is above Churchill Falls, there is a road that goes North up and around the Smallwood resorvoir. Rumour has it that there are some seldom used atv-hunters trails that push North from the end of the road. Time will tell how far these go or what condition they are in :). Have fun exploring, be prepared there isn't much up there if things go wrong.
__________________
Tales From The Bivouac Rally Print Publications

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)


Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #13
K2ride
Single track mind!
 
K2ride's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Quebec, Canada
Oddometer: 1,615
You're talking hardcore enduro on cariboo paths no more than 30 km north of Schefferville; how to cross all the water bodies from there in summer is the million dollar question to go any further north towards Ugava Bay.
&...
From Caniapisco réservoir at the eastern end of the Trans Taïga to reach Shefferville, 4 years of research has only produced a 120 miles eastbound bushplane ride to achieve it for the same reasons.
&...
The Churchill Falls/Esker section is a hoot from its TransLab Hiway jct
But...
The catch22 rail section from Esker to Schefferville will require for you to carry a WD40/strong rope travelling kit to pull the rail spikes out of your tires & a considerable amount of bug repellent if the train doesn't catch up to you first.
&...,
If you the survive the train encounter,
you'll then most likely be out of bug repellent before being allowed to head back home with legal procedure ''souvenirs''.

Can't wait to see the pics in your ride repport! ...
__________________
Ride hard, ...life's short!
K2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:18 PM   #14
dblacknj
Master of the Obvious
 
dblacknj's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Wall NJ
Oddometer: 303
Quebec and Ontario Maps

I too have spent numerous nights with Garmin North America, google maps
and google earth examining our northern comrades. All are very limited.

Then I came across this company: http://www.toporider.com . They sell
very a wide range of software and topo maps of Quebec and Ontario.
I purchased the Ontario topo maps for my Mac/Garmin setup. The maps
are light years ahead of anything else I've seen. Incredible detail.
Can't speak for the Quebec maps, but the Ontario maps are well worth the $$.
__________________
Beware 10-289
dblacknj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #15
LabradorBoy
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
My sig line has a ride report of a trip we did last year up the Trans Taiga. To get further north in Quebec involves some odd logistics and doesn't get you much further. A town called Scheverville has roads that go a bit further but your options to get there are to fly from the end of the Trans Taiga or ride a railine from the Trans Lab Highway. Another Northern point that we are heading to this July is above Churchill Falls, there is a road that goes North up and around the Smallwood resorvoir. Rumour has it that there are some seldom used atv-hunters trails that push North from the end of the road. Time will tell how far these go or what condition they are in :). Have fun exploring, be prepared there isn't much up there if things go wrong.
You are referring to the Orma Lake Road, it's about 170km's long and is located on the Eastern side of the Smallwood Reservoir, great ride but the flies can be very bad up there.
LabradorBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014