Originally Posted by Benjava
Seven years now and not planning to change
Landcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:49 PM   #32
guzzigeezer
Old wrinkly git

Oddometer: 88
Question Gonna Give it a go

Due to the unfortunate coincidence of my being made redundant and my mother passing away, I am in the position as of next spring to take off anywhere i want to go. Not a massive amount of money but sufficient for a few years.

Choices

1 USA & Can bike ride to Mexico/Nic/ and find hut to live in.

2 Out to Thailand/Far East find hut to live in

3 Bike ride round Europe to Bulgaria/Hungary find hut to live in

4 Buy Canal Boat and stay in England

5 Just set off on my Tiger and see where I end up

6 Stay put and try and get a job whilst living off my savings as I will no longer qualify for benefits

The USA to Central/South America is my favorite option but will be realy expensive till i get down south. Pros most of it in English and bike cheapish to buy. I know spanish for beer and thank you

I should imagine far east is cheapest option but the climate and jungle put me off + lots of diseases I haven't caught yet

Bike ride round Europe to the east - cons - done most of it already and weather can be dodgy. pros well cheap as already have bike and insurance if I stay in EU states free medical insurance.

Buy canal boat - pros - cheap living lovely scenery cons - more than likely crap weather

Just follow my nose?

Other ideas anybody or any advice?

"We may lose or we may win, but we will never be here again"

2007 Tiger 1050 - Love of my life
1989 Suzuki SR41A DRBIG - 800 Conversion

guzzigeezer screwed with this post 12-04-2009 at 10:55 PM
guzzigeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:03 PM   #33
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzigeezer
Due to the unfortunate coincidence of my being made redundant and my mother passing away, I am in the position as of next spring to take off anywhere i want to go. Not a massive amount of money but sufficient for a few years.

Choices

1 USA & Can bike ride to Mexico/Nic/ and find hut to live in.

2 Out to Thailand/Far East find hut to live in

3 Bike ride round Europe to Bulgaria/Hungary find hut to live in

4 Buy Canal Boat and stay in England

5 Just set off on my Tiger and see where I end up

6 Stay put and try and get a job whilst living off my savings as I will no longer qualify for benefits

The USA to Central/South America is my favorite option but will be realy expensive till i get down south. Pros most of it in English and bike cheapish to buy. I know spanish for beer and thank you

I should imagine far east is cheapest option but the climate and jungle put me off + lots of diseases I haven't caught yet

Bike ride round Europe to the east - cons - done most of it already and weather can be dodgy. pros well cheap as already have bike and insurance if I stay in EU states free medical insurance.

Buy canal boat - pros - cheap living lovely scenery cons - more than likely crap weather

Just follow my nose?

Buy a canal boat and cruise France Holland and Germany. Plus, you can probably take your bike with you.

Get a sailboat and cruise the world. Very cheap, when the jungle pisses you off, leave

The US/Canada would probably seem cheap to you. Esp since you won;t need housing. Food prices are MUCH less here than in Europe.

Caravan across Africa or Australia? Or Even The US, except we call them RV's
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:34 AM   #34
ywr969
Ye Wilde Ryder

Oddometer: 658
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzigeezer
dunno what bike prices are like in the UK right now, but...
you could sell the bike, hop a cheap flight to somewhere in the southwest USA, buy a bike after you arrive, & head south.
plenty of boondocking (free camping) places in the southwest.

2005 Husqvarna TE-510
"What we do in life echoes in eternity."
ywr969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:26 PM   #35
Super Suz OP
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
Wow. These ideas are great.

I'm saving and saving in case I do indeed get laid off.

I've seen those canal boats around the British canals and they are lovely. Right about the weather though.

What else is up in the works for people getting ready to "take off" for a year or more? Obviously, there are people here planning for long haul bike tours. They are also at Horizon's Unlimited. That's obviously an option for most of us bikers too.

I personally know of many riders who have been "out there" for years at a time. It's not easy though. But all of the guys I know who have done it are great people persons and can endure roughing it for months and months.
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #36
2slim
Scooter

Oddometer: 13
This thread is great. It's got me to scheming.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:03 PM   #37
SeanF
-

Oddometer: 2,158
I am employed, but do have a relatively low cost of living. From Jan 2005 through Aug 2006, I converted a school bus into a motorhome, and have been living in it full-time since then. See http://seanf.smugmug.com for details on the conversion and where I've been living.

My possessions are my bus, some motorcycles, and stuff in a 10'x10' storage unit. Currently the storage unit is costing $80/month...so in the three+ years I've been full-timing, I've spent $3k on storage! That's more than the purchase price of my bus. The sad(der) part is that the stuff that's in there is probably not worth $3k. The personal/sentimental stuff probably takes up a few cubic feet. So give serious thought before putting stuff into storage. You'll find yourself 1000 miles away from a pile of stuff you rarely think about and spend $ every month to keep under lock and key.
My recommendation is flea market, ebay, craigslist, yard sale, donate. (Anyone want to make me an offer on 100 square feet of stuff? )

In any case, if you've been thinking about making a life change in the direction of simplification &, independence, don't wait until you've been laid off. Start making changes now while you are relatively unstressed and have a stream of income.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #38
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailryder42
I too am considering something like this. I retire Dec 30th this year. Want to spend a few years visiting family around the country and seeing some national parks and generally exploring the US via bike.

Then perhaps move to someplace where you can live on the cheap. MSN had a "10 top places to retire" article the other day. Ecuador came out #1. On the equator and good riding weather year round. Said a person could live very well for 17k a year.
All the way to Equador to live well on 17K? I live in northern CA and a person could live very comfortably here on 17K a year,probably not with maids and butlers but comfortable.
Thailand is still one of the cheapest places to go live,bit of culture shock but very inexpensive to live a 5 star lifestyle there.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:37 AM   #39
c-m
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
While living on the cheap somewhere, how do you guys actually propose to meet the costs of living? i.e what will you do for income?
c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #40
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkam
In the 2 years I've lived this way I have only paid to camp once at Death Valley Daze last year.
I do dispersed camping in the forest or on BLM land.
Is there a dispersed camping resource? BLM resource? TIA.
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:16 AM   #41
ywr969
Ye Wilde Ryder

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-m
While living on the cheap somewhere, how do you guys actually propose to meet the costs of living? i.e what will you do for income?
if you're a US citizen & you're laid off, you should receive unemployment benefits for 6 months. i think those are being extended to 1 year now.
of course, when you're on unemployment, you're supposed to be looking for work, but if you work in an industry like mine (software development), that's easy enough to do from nearly anywhere, as long as you have a cellphone with nationwide coverage & internet access (free wifi).
also, you should be saving up your pesos for a rainy day... such as getting laid off.
you can then live off your savings (investments) & unemployment if you cut way down on your expenses, like getting rid of your rent/mortgage or supplementing them through (sub)renting your place.

2005 Husqvarna TE-510
Old 12-06-2009, 09:30 AM   #42
Bumblebee-TGL
Nomad

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjava
Seven years now and not planning to change
I've been fulltiming 3+ years in a 27ft motorhome. Best decision ever and I wouldn't have it any other way. No storage units or excess junk. I literally gave away or tossed most of my belongings, drove over the horizon and never looked back. Boondocking and stealth camping is free.
Selling my photography at art festivals around the country and the occasional off season theatre job will be the only income starting next year.
The Good Life

Bumblebee-TGL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:06 AM   #43
ywr969
Ye Wilde Ryder

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebee-TGL
Boondocking and stealth camping is free.
yep!

2005 Husqvarna TE-510
Old 12-06-2009, 10:48 AM   #44
RiverRat
Endless Chores

Oddometer: 3,836
suzscribed

RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:02 AM   #45
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,792
People with actual useful skills tend to do well with a nomad lifestyle too.
One friend, a plumber for 20+ years, actually got sick of the rat race and such and cashed in his chips.

He put his house on the market just as the market crashed and left for parts unknown.
Nearly everyone needs plumbing work in whatever jerkwater crossroads you can find yourself in (or metropolis). Whether they're using a hand pump or are in a high rise.

Another friend, former catholic priest turned massage therapist, cashed in and sailed the world with his wife. When they make port, he sets up his table. No shortage of people who want a massage. He works about a week at a port, then loads up on beer and food and fuel and sets sail again.

Cultivating useful skill is a good idea and can keep you going indefinitely. If you don't have mastery of anything, being a jack of all trades (master of none) can work too.

I'm a freelance writer and am currently honing my technical writing skills so I can work on contract stuff for 6 months and ride the other 6, hopefully selling articles and blogs regarding my adventures. With wi-fi, I can work from anywhere and do resume updates and all sorts of stuff for cash.

Punching a clock is for the birds and it never did fit me. Getting killed riding somewhere is way better than getting muched by a soccer mom in rushhour traffic on the way to a cubicle.