Old 12-09-2009, 06:59 AM   #76
ywr969
Ye Wilde Ryder

Oddometer: 658
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Suz
my inevitable lay off in June
february, in my case, & i'm definitely looking forward to it -- woohoo!

Quote:
what if I find another job just like the one I have right away?
you just had to go & spoil it with something like that, didn't ya???

2005 Husqvarna TE-510
"What we do in life echoes in eternity."
ywr969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:19 AM   #77
Stonewall
The Wild

Oddometer: 1,803
Thanks

Quote:
OH! This thread is graced by the presence of Stonewall. Thanks for all you do with the White Mountain Research Ride. It was a blast and hope to do it again some time.

Stonewall, you already living the dream of on the move and free?

Suz
Thanks Super Suz , but their is always room for improvement.

For "THE BEST COOLER MADE FOR MOTORCYLCE RIDING" Look Here
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252781

http://stonewall.smugmug.com/

3rd Annual WMRS Ride III in Bishop, CA Ride Report 07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254807

4th Annual WMRS Ride IV Ride Report 08
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369576
Stonewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:12 AM   #78
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,105
You probably know that the IRS people have really been cracking down on ex-pats not paying income taxes Super-Suz as this has been on tv recently. In this electronic age it is pretty hard to hide unless you use cash for everything. If you NEVER plan on coming home again you might get away with this, but as soon as you set foot back in the USA you are tax delinquent for not filing and they are after you. You have goods with no income? Not possible. You just became a felon for not filing 1040s and paying.

That leaves you with what you can do legally. Legally you can sell your property and go perm RV. This keeps you from paying property taxes to any state legally but you still have to pay income taxes on money from US. This savings is no small thing. For instance I pay a perm $200 fee on an RV plate. In exchange I save $3600/yr in property taxes and gain mobility to go where I want.Add that $$$$ savings up for 5 yrs. and it buys you a nice new bike every 5 yrs!

You could renounce your citizenship but then your declared country expects taxes so that doesn't get you free either. So the game is just to reduce taxes not eliminate them. Taxes and death are certainties.

Oh ....and RiverRat Besides Costa Rica and Panama you described Somalia. It's not all about the weather and riding...
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:28 AM   #79
ywr969
Ye Wilde Ryder

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr
Legally you can sell your property and go perm RV. This keeps you from paying property taxes to any state legally but you still have to pay income taxes on money from US. This savings is no small thing. For instance I pay a perm $200 fee on an RV plate.
what kind of RV? in what state?
i have '95 fleetwood bounder (38') for which i pay more than that every year!

Quote:
In exchange I save $3600/yr in property taxes and gain mobility to go where I want.
my prop taxes aren't that high, but you certainly make a good point.

Quote:
Add that $$$$ savings up for 5 yrs. and it buys you a nice new bike every 5 yrs!
woohoo!
i like how you think.

2005 Husqvarna TE-510
Old 12-11-2009, 06:45 AM   #80
Stonewall
The Wild

Oddometer: 1,803
On The Road

The Rv idea seems to be the way to go. Their is a demand for tradesmen who will work for cash. Maximizing free government land for camping is always helpful. Up here from May untile 1 October their are 4 campgfround that you can stay all summer at for $300. If I can help anyone headed this way, let me know, but I do recomend waiting for it to warm up

For "THE BEST COOLER MADE FOR MOTORCYLCE RIDING" Look Here
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252781

http://stonewall.smugmug.com/

3rd Annual WMRS Ride III in Bishop, CA Ride Report 07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254807

4th Annual WMRS Ride IV Ride Report 08
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369576
Stonewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:15 AM   #81
Super Suz OP
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,547
Wow, I could live in an decent sized RV very comfortably for years, I think. I could save tons of money and I love saving money. It will not be much of a change from my comfortable SF studio apartment I used to live in.

But I need air conditioning, a heater, and .... insurance
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:20 AM   #82
ywr969
Ye Wilde Ryder

Cool2

Quote:
we have all of the above with our RV. in fact, we lived in it full time this past summer. it was awesome.

2005 Husqvarna TE-510
Old 12-11-2009, 11:26 AM   #83
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,105
969...... In Michigan we have a $200 fee for a lisc plate that is a permanent plate for a 2500lb+ trailer, for as long as you own THAT TRAILER. Less than 2500lbs.(cargo trailers) are $75 permanent. Long as you keep them that is all you ever pay. A good deal....but MI RV dealers hated it as they said it kept people from buying new trailers. I have the same 30ft. that I bought in 02.

We pay horrendous property taxes in MI so that $3600/yr. is not out of line up here. It represents to a large degree, local school funding, which was moved from state to local funding by the state about 10 yrs ago. So you see an RVer can avoid huge local taxes and, because I am a state employee retiree I pay no state income tax as well, no matter what state I am actually in. A pretty good gig. Can't avoid federal taxes though....you are stuck with those.

Best part though... if you hate your neighbors then hitch up and go.

Worst part... I feel the need for a big garage at times.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #84
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,572
More thoughts

Quote:
We pay horrendous property taxes in MI so that $3600/yr
This is what we pay in WI too. Another thought would be to rent out your house after getting rid of most of your stuff. That way, you can enjoy your RV/Extended el cheapo vacation life until you decide otherwise. IMO - it gives the freedom of choice, which is what I think the goal is here (chose which place to stay, how long, as cheap as possible). Using a management company makes things pretty easy, even though it cuts into your income.

This gives you a location to put on your taxes, if nothing else. Might make things easier to try for awhile without having to change your Drivers License and license plates to each new place you live if you are there for more than 30 days as a primary residence.

I suppose you could always buy one of those $150 homes in Detroit and use that as your primary residence. Maybe better off in a state without income tax. These states are Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming (I had to Wiki it).
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:38 PM   #85
Super Suz OP
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,547
Yeah. You can open up a bakery with all the dough saved on taxes .... if worked out right.
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.

Super Suz screwed with this post 12-11-2009 at 01:04 PM
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #86
RiverRat
Endless Chores

Oddometer: 3,836
Quote:
Wow, I could live in an decent sized RV very comfortably for years, I think. I could save tons of money and I love saving money. It will not be much of a change from my comfortable SF studio apartment I used to live in.

With an RV you'll want to find an inexpensive state to register it in if you want to go CHEAP. AZ, CA are not cheap for RVs. Also you'll want to claim residence in a tax friendly state depending on your income.

I'm thinking about a 30-34' Class A gas rv. Parking it legally on long term BLM land isn't much money. Since you're boondocking you'll need to ration use of water, generator, and propane.

I ride up and chat with the snowbirds/wanderers and many of them are very willing to share their experience being full timers. Every one I've talked with is happy not to be tied to a traditional house. If they don't like their neighbors you just move!

RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #87
ywr969
Ye Wilde Ryder

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat
AZ, CA are not cheap for RVs.
now you tell me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat
I'm thinking about a 30-34' Class A gas rv.
will this work?

2005 Husqvarna TE-510
Old 12-11-2009, 12:54 PM   #88
kdub
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:

That insurance is the biggie. We bailed out years ago - traded socal for central washington. The cost savings was amazing but I've kept my federal job for the health insurance. 3 fusions, 4 lamenectomies and 3 electrothermalanullaplasties has me hanging on for a few more years till I can call it quits for good.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #89
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,439
Cheap states to register in are states like NH and TN that have no income tax.
I can register my vehicles and then renew the registration online annually with TN. Insurance is pretty inexpensive for vehicles too.

Beware the RV thing though if you're the kind of person who bounces off a low balance in your savings. If the rear axle falls out of it, or the trans takes a crap, you're going to need a couple thousand to have it fixed, if you can't do it yourself. Even then, you're looking at a few hundred for parts if mechanicals die. It's conceivable that the rear axle, driveshaft, transmission, and engine could all take a crap at once or in the same month. $$$
And, of course, you have to maintain it. Plumbing and electrical need to be maintained and repaired, batteries have to be replaced with some frequency, and then there's routine maintenance like oil changes and tires, etc.
Make sure to have a safety cushion made of cash for RV repairs and maintenance.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:31 PM   #90
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,439
If you plan on boondocking with a bike or a pickup/bike combo, same rules apply- except they're more dire.