User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #61
AzB
Fattest thin man

Oddometer: 3,461
Wow.

Just got through reading, and I just want to say this is one of the most enjoyable ride reports. Just the right amount of detail and humour, but mostly I like your attitude.

I was 18 when I went on a similar adventure. 4 and half months with everything I owned on my back. You brought back the memories for me, thanks.

Good luck, and please keep posting here. We need more riders like you.

Az
Old 11-22-2009, 02:12 PM   #62
markxjr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
i would love to know what mileage you clocked up on your trip but with your speedo out of action i guess theres no way of knowing.
markxjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:02 PM   #63
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by markxjr
i would love to know what mileage you clocked up on your trip but with your speedo out of action i guess theres no way of knowing.
It's 2.5K from Phoenix to NYC. Figure another 1K miles or so for the Canadian border jaunt, 500 miles extra for the Texas deviation, and another 500 miles for other screwing around and you get 7K miles. I'd bet a dollar to donut its within a couple hundred of this.

To the OP, if you get the bike rebuilt and use it again (or another air-cooled bike), I'd strongly suggest you forgo the "Bronson Style" bedroll around the forks packing method. This is hell on engine cooling and might have been a big contributor to the bike's gradual demise. OTOH, if breakdowns are a desirable part of the adventure....

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:39 PM   #64
chopped58
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Fantastic report!

ADV Rider Relay 2008 New York
IBA# 27774

06 Uly
58 FL

Ride report: NY to Vegas
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513905
chopped58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:43 PM   #65
Rainier_Rider
Gone

Oddometer: 1,560
Defines adventure!
Old 11-23-2009, 02:06 AM   #66
moon48
690e

Oddometer: 0
awesome piece of writing, eye catching photos and balls of led for doing a long trip on a not-so-reliable-as-brand-new-modern bike with skateboard on the back and a sleeping bag on the tank. kudos.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #67
MoreShenanigans OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Again thanks for all the kind replies.

I just want to say I think that these have to be some of the tougher engines ever made. Simple air cooled motors. I think the sleeping roll was high enough not to make to much of a difference of the air flow over the head. I think the major factor of the engines death was the couple times the oil level got too low (due to the leak) and running way too lean for a couple of thousands of miles. And the fact that the bike gets very well used. I am surprised that the bike held up like it did, some people may call it abuse but I beg to differ...

MoreShenanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:42 AM   #68
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreShenanigans
I think the sleeping roll was high enough not to make to much of a difference of the air flow over the head.
One of the magazines did a test back in the 70's and the cylinder head temps run 50-deg higher in the center of the engine with your bedroll. One of the major airflow patterns in an air-cooled bike is air coming up over the front wheel/fender and then rapidly descending and filling in the void behind the wheel. Almost all the cooling air for the center jugs is dependent on air flow through the the space between your forks.

Blocking this flow doesn't typically cause immediate problems, but over several thousand miles, it causes early valve seat recession and much more barrel wear. Leanness in mixture would exacerbate the issue.

Windjammers and similar fairings were more like 25-deg increase. That's why you commonly see oil coolers recommended when you add fairings to these older bikes. These air-cooled motors are robust, but they are depending on the owner to pay attention to cooling and make sure it is as good as it can be as they have no thermostats to regulate.

But you're right, the oil problem may be the overriding thing. Nevertheless, I'd ditch your packing method.

- Mark
Old 11-26-2009, 09:18 AM   #69
mixoso
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Great report. Makes me feel like a doofus for spending so much time pouring over Touratech catalogs and the like instead of just riding.
mixoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:25 AM   #70
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixoso
Great report. Makes me feel like a doofus for spending so much time pouring over Touratech catalogs and the like instead of just riding.
Wuss maybe, but not a doofus. There's nothing wrong with having a well-buttoned down kit so you can be comfortable, alert, and safe. I admire anyone willing to take risks and do "wing and a prayer" trips like this, but it's a double-edged sword - riding with tennis shoes and gardening gloves can also be hazardous to one's health and being cold/wet/tired is not only miserable, it dramatically increases risks. I also admire folks who pay attention, wear the best gear, have their bike correctly kitted, and reduce their riding risk to a minimum.

It's a personal thing and each person gets to draw the line that strikes the right balance for them and them alone. What's perfect for one guy is not for the next. The important thing is to do what you need to do to take the trip.

- Mark
Old 11-26-2009, 06:44 PM   #71
MoreShenanigans OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
If I could afford half of that touring stuff, I am sure I would have already bought it!
MoreShenanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:26 PM   #72
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,993
so, what's next from MoreShenanigans? Are you working? In school? Got any more adventures in the planning? How is the bike situation working out?
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #73
mkttv2
mkttv2

Oddometer: 1
What a ride!

Great adventure! Thanks for sharing the experience. Loved all the pics.
I don't live too far from that park on the Mississippi River in Memphis that you included in your pics. Mark
mkttv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:55 AM   #74
BOBaloo22
RIP Baby Girl

Oddometer: 3,777
One word WOW!!!!!!!! Loved this ride report. I love the fact that you drool over the old bikes like I DID way back- when they were new(stilldo). I would go in the shops and see the 550s, CB750s and want one sooooo bad. In 1978 I graduated HS and bought a CL175 from my sister's boyfriend and was on cloud nine. The next year I bought a new CM400T (it was all I could afford, around 18 hundred bucks ) Bikes opened up the world to me, and, my wife has the same passion for travel on 2 wheels. Thanks for your time
Bob
Old 11-29-2009, 09:40 AM   #75
sailwa66
Captain Cheap A**

Oddometer: 206
"But again the best memories are usually a bitch when your actually making them." Like having your master cylinder cap stolen? Never would've guessed that one!

Epic.

Thanks for the read.

Ducati Multistrada Adventure Gear: www.strada-avventurosa.com
sailwa66 is offline   Reply With Quote