User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
apostle2 OP
The road less traveled.

Oddometer: 196
Arkansas Day Trip - RR#2

On my previous (1st) report, we (my brother and I) didn’t stick to our planned trip due to me wanting to ride a trail that had eluded me several times in the past. But with this trip, we stuck to the plan. The only real concern with this trip is it’s the day before open gun deer season. It could be a little crowded in them woods. Even though this trip didn’t contain any challenging trails, it was a good trip none the less. And I remembered to take more pictures this time.

The trip started from my brother’s house. Giving the bikes a quick once over and reviewing our plan.

I painted this signage on the back of my helmet so that every time I put my helmet on I’m reminded not to get stupid. Problem is, I have a short attention span. (…squirrel !...)

We left big bro’s house and rode north up Hwy. 7 in route to Treat, AR. One of our other brothers has some property in Treat where we regularly camp and some of our family was currently camping there. On the way we stopped at Bates camp to visit with some folks we knew. They were just finishing getting their camp set up. I’m not sure if they have enough fire wood though. lol

As we were pulling into their camp, this little guy immediately noticed the bikes and wanted to check them out. He was a happy camper before we got there. Big Bro made him even happier letting him set on the bike.

We didn’t visit long because we didn’t want to deviate to far from the plan. So we left and continued toward Treat. When we got there we immediately notice that other family members had been hard at work cleaning the place up. Even the lawn was finely trimmed.

The only person out and about was Uncle Bob. He was peacefully eating his lunch until we showed up.

After chatting with Uncle Bob for a while we continued up the road (stickin to the plan). We traversed up Hwy. 7 heading toward Pelsor, AR to turn west on Hwy. 123. Yea I know, they’re not dirt roads, but they have enough twisties to be very fun on any motorcycle. Even 250’s.

Traveling at 70 mph, side by side, inches away on a very twisty road, taking a picture…STUPID. Yep, I’ve forgotten already.

We stopped for a quick bathroom break at Rotary Ann rest area on Hwy. 7. As you can see behind us, another line of deer hunters are heading to the woods.

Rotary Ann rest area doesn’t just have bathrooms; it offers some pretty good views as well. Miles of mountains.

While trekking over Hwy. 123 we rode over the Big Piney Creek Bridge at Fort Douglas.

Big Bro saw a road leading down below the bridge and wanted to check it out. I’d actually been there before but I didn’t mind seeing it again.

Big Piney Creek

Before we left the bridge Big Bro topped his bike off with some fuel and we were on our way (stickin to the plan). We turned off Hwy. 123 onto Forest Road 1003 (Hwy. 215) heading west. Finally some more dirt.

Something we both noticed was the staggering amount of downed trees through out this area. I’m sure the massive ice storm we had here last winter played a big part in this.

We make it to Ozone, AR and skip down Hwy. 21 a bit to pick up 1003 again still heading west. We roll through Catalpa and I noticed this sign. I wasn’t aware of a cafe in this town. We were later told that this café had excellent food and we needed to try it out sometime. (something to look forward to).

Just west of Catalpa, my brother was going to show me a swinging bridge. Unfortunately when we arrived, we found that the bridge was gone. The only part of it left were a few cables still extending across the creek. Big Bro was amazed to find it gone. He had been there just three weeks before and took some pictures. The picture below is one of them.

We made it to Oark, AR and had to stop at the famous Oark Café. Neither of us was hungry enough to eat a meal. So we just filled the bikes up with fuel and got a snack instead.

While setting on the porch at the Oark Café, I was looking at this American Flag and then noticed the building in the background, a Masonic Lodge. Then I got to thinking about all the history of the Freemasons that extends beyond the American Flag.

After a short rest we pushed on with our journey (stickin to the plan). We continued west and then turned south on Hwy. 103 heading toward Clarksville, AR. I noticed in several places on the road patches of dirt on the asphalt. When I started looking closer at them I realized that in several places the ditches were giving away and sliding off into the road. Then we saw this enormous land slide. I couldn’t believe the size of this thing. The picture just doesn’t show the magnitude of it. I just stopped and gazed at it, as was everyone else driving by.

While studying it I had a thought pass through my mind………….I wonder if I could climb that on this bike?

But then I remembered.

We continued on to Clarksville and jumped on the Super Slab until we got onto Hwy. 64 and rode it back to Russellville. By this time we were both getting hungry so we make our last stop before going home at Fat Daddy’s BBQ for the evening meal. If you’ve never eaten here you need to. It is very good BBQ. They don’t have beef, pork only.

The End

Until next time.
apostle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,922
you sure took the long route to Oark, nice pavement ride though.
PM me I'll find a track that will get you from Treat to Oark, theres a swinging foot bridge on the route that isn't washed away too.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,514
Great Report!

Next time your up this way let us know and we'll hook up. Surprised to heare the swinging bridge was down....sad deal.
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,354
Looks like a good day on 2 wheels! Thanks for the report and pics
Old 11-20-2009, 07:38 PM   #5
arkridergc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Nice write up Bro!

I've got to remember my camera next time so that mine's not the only mug everybody sees. I found out later that the Mulberry river area got about 5 inches of rain in about 4 hours time right after my last visit. That must've taken out the bridge. I remember the mud slide well. There was still a lot of dried mud on the tarmac and we were hoofing it pretty good. I looked back one time and Dave was gone. I stopped and waited but still no Dave. I was afraid he'd slid out on one of those dusty hairpin curves. Just as I turned around, here he comes. It was all good then! By the way, on a dry clean road, hwy 103 north out of Clarksville is a fantastic motorcycle road! We also need to post up some of those Mt. Magazine shots. I don't see many RR's from that area. It's just a few miles south of the TAT and unless you know the area, the TAT'ers wouldn't take the time to see it. It's the highest point in the state and has some pretty spectacular views.
Good riding,
GC
Two Brothers on Two50's ride Colorado
'09 Yamaha WR250r, '08 Harley Davidson Road Glide
arkridergc is offline   Reply With Quote