Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2010, 05:14 AM   #106
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by willy1818
Hi
I have just received my Hyperpro fork spring and rear spring, because i was in a hurry for them the place i got them from didn't have the instructions for fitting.
Can any one point me in the direction of where i might find a copy of the instructions?

I have no problems with the removing the old springs its the amount of oil to put in with the new ones and anything else i may need to know (secrets etc).

Thanks
Michael
Methods are discussed elsewhere on this board. Search for f800gs rear spring removal and you'll find a thread. Can't remember the name. Short version: compress spring and remove the clip ring holding the preload device in place. Loosen the set screw before you do so.

Fork oil height in my instructions was 120mm with the tubes fully compressed and all loose parts removed (inc. springs).

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:09 AM   #107
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,156
Quote:
Hi
I have just received my Hyperpro fork spring and rear spring, because i was in a hurry for them the place i got them from didn't have the instructions for fitting.
Can any one point me in the direction of where i might find a copy of the instructions?

I have no problems with the removing the old springs its the amount of oil to put in with the new ones and anything else i may need to know (secrets etc).

Thanks
Michael
ITSATDM did a lot of experimentation on the fork oil levels and I am using his recomendation of 10 weight oil with an air gap of 70mm. I am pretty happy with the forks now, and in fact I ordered the rear progressive Hyperpro spring yesterday as I have found I have to favour the back because it doesn't feel as good as the front and I don't want to bottom it too much.

While the Bitubo's etc are no doubt better than the Hyperpro springs I am pretty happy and they are very cost effective.
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:13 AM   #108
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Experimentation aside, the manual states fork spring oil height (using supplied Hyperpro 10w) is 120mm, forks fully compressed, damping rods all the way down, springs removed, spacers removed. However, Klaus at EPM instructed me to keep the black plastic spring guides on the damping rods. They should be clicked into place on the rods, and harder than hell to remove anyway!

As for the rear spring, I removed the rear shock and had a local motorcycle shop swap the springs out. It cost me $40 and a 1/2 hr wait. I didn't trust myself to tackle that one!

Make sure and torque all fasteners properly when you re-assemble everything.... very important. Also, regarding the rear shock mounting: You can reuse the same upper shock bolt. Make sure you torque the upper shock bolt to 100Nm exactly. Make sure you clean the threads and use no thread locker. For the bottom rear shock bolt, you must order a new one from BMW. The reason is because the bolt has very specific microencapsulated thread locker pre-applied to the bolt.

Part #33537709575 | ISA SCREW - M12X1,5X60 MK | $19.84

Torque bottom bolt to 100Nm as well. Everything about the bolts I've stated is directly from the BMW Service Manual. I can post images of these sections of the manual later if need be.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:22 AM   #109
The Griz
North Forest Rider

PS Some people have reused the lower rear shock bolt using a bit of red threadlocker. IMO that is . The service manual specifies to replace it for good reason. The microencapsulated thread locker BMW uses on this special bolt holds way stronger than even the red "over-the-counter" stuff you buy at a hardware store. You will know what I mean when you first remove this bottom bolt, and you see how much force it takes to break it loose with a breaker bar! That rear bottom bolt staying fastened is the difference between life or death while riding at highway speed especially. It keeps the rear swing arm suspended. It's specs are not to be fudged or fucked with IMHO.

Good luck!

The Griz screwed with this post 05-14-2010 at 10:53 AM Reason: Added Service Manual Pages
Old 05-14-2010, 10:41 AM   #110
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,738
[quote=The Griz]Experimentation aside, the manual states fork spring oil height (using supplied Hyperpro 10w) is 120mm, forks fully compressed, damping rods all the way down, springs removed, spacers removed. However, Klaus at EPM instructed me to keep the black plastic spring guides on the damping rods. They should be clicked into place on the rods, and harder than hell to remove anyway!

Were your instructions specific to the 800gs? Mine were not, obviously some generic instructions for anybike. My faulty memory seems to think it was something like start at 160mm and adjust as necessary. 120mm seems quite a bit more gap than the stock 60mm the manual says for the BMW spring.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:45 AM   #111
The Griz
North Forest Rider

[quote=itsatdm]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Experimentation aside, the manual states fork spring oil height (using supplied Hyperpro 10w) is 120mm, forks fully compressed, damping rods all the way down, springs removed, spacers removed. However, Klaus at EPM instructed me to keep the black plastic spring guides on the damping rods. They should be clicked into place on the rods, and harder than hell to remove anyway!

Were your instructions specific to the 800gs? Mine were not, obviously some generic instructions for anybike. My faulty memory seems to think it was something like start at 160mm and adjust as necessary. 120mm seems quite a bit more gap than the stock 60mm the manual says for the BMW spring.
Here's the label on the side of the Hyperpro springs box:

And here's the label on the back of the manual for the kit:

I highly recommend this configuration. I weigh 192 lbs and it works great for me. Klause at EPM said that these labels arrived to him pre-adhered to the box and manual. As in Hyperpro did it.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #112
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
Are you thinking of the air gap and not the oil level? 60mm seems really small.

I remember that the Bitubo oil level was, I think, 120mm but I actually went to 130mm to give a little more plushness.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:09 AM   #113
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Yeah, oil level and air gap obviously go hand in hand. However, they're definitely two separate numbers when measured. And rarely are they the same. Basically, ya fill the forks with oil until the oil sits 120mm from the top. How much of an air gap this leaves, I have no clue. All I know is the oil level from top is supposed to be 120mm. I used this:

MOTION PRO FORK OIL LEVEL TOOL
  • For checking and adjusting the oil level on all conventional and single chamber cartridge forks
  • Adjustable ring will measure oil levels from 0 to 300mm in 0.5cm increments
  • Syringe has a capacity of 60ml
Old 05-14-2010, 12:06 PM   #114
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Yeah, oil level and air gap obviously go hand in hand. However, they're definitely two separate numbers when measured. And rarely are they the same. Basically, ya fill the forks with oil until the oil sits 120mm from the top. How much of an air gap this leaves, I have no clue. All I know is the oil level from top is supposed to be 120mm. I used this:

MOTION PRO FORK OIL LEVEL TOOL
  • For checking and adjusting the oil level on all conventional and single chamber cartridge forks
  • Adjustable ring will measure oil levels from 0 to 300mm in 0.5cm increments
  • Syringe has a capacity of 60ml
Same one I use. I just went with 130 to give a bigger air gap.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #115
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
As I recall Hyper-Pro makes three different fork spring kits for the F800GS. I got the SSA017 springs due to my TT tank and weight.

Point is on this set Hyper-Pro provided the same installation labels except they specified 90mm fill from the top. This I followed and got excellent results using the provided 10wt fork oil. The blanket statement that the recommended fill is 120mm is in-correct unless the the spring kit number is known. Clearly Hyper-Pro issues these "recommendations" based on their experience with each configuration. At least their instructions seem to be a good starting point.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #116
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
Are you thinking of the air gap and not the oil level? 60mm seems really small.

I remember that the Bitubo oil level was, I think, 120mm but I actually went to 130mm to give a little more plushness.
Yes air gap, stock is 60mm. Maybe its semantics. I mean fork compressed, spring out, distance of oil from the top. BMW calls it the air chamber, I have always called it air gap. Obviously with the fork extended there is a lot more air than that in there.

31 - Front axle, front forks

Description
Condition
Value
Valid
Type of front suspension
Upside-down telescopic fork

Spring travel, front
At wheel
230 mm

Fork oil, capacity per fork leg
765 ml

Fluids and lubricants
Hydraulic fluid SAE 7,5
Level of fork oil in fork leg (air chamber)
Forks fully compressed, spring removed, spacer installed
60 mm

Fluids and lubricants

itsatdm screwed with this post 05-14-2010 at 01:27 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:16 PM   #117
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ridn
As I recall Hyper-Pro makes three different fork spring kits for the F800GS. I got the SSA017 springs due to my TT tank and weight.

Point is on this set Hyper-Pro provided the same installation labels except they specified 90mm fill from the top. This I followed and got excellent results using the provided 10wt fork oil. The blanket statement that the recommended fill is 120mm is in-correct unless the the spring kit number is known. Clearly Hyper-Pro issues these "recommendations" based on their experience with each configuration. At least their instructions seem to be a good starting point.
We're not throwing "blanket" statements around. We're simply stating the oil height for the Hyperpro Standard Front and Rear Spring Kit (SP-BM08-SSC009) or Standard Fork Spring only kit (SP-BM08-SSA009), which most folks are buying since they're not running the TT oversized tank.... 120mm.

But thanks for the info about oil height on the Heavy Duty Hyperpro Springs Kit.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:18 PM   #118
willy1818
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Thanks for all the info.

This is what i have Hyperpro Standard Front and Rear Spring Kit (SP-BM08-SSC009).
What i am now confused about is in The Griz's post it shows 2 X SAE 10, I only received 1 (i'm not at home right now so will check amount later). Any idea how large each of the 2 bottles were? I am wondering if i have a bigger bottle thus only needing 1?

Michael
Old 05-14-2010, 04:24 PM   #119
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
Thanks for all the info.

This is what i have Hyperpro Standard Front and Rear Spring Kit (SP-BM08-SSC009).
What i am now confused about is in The Griz's post it shows 2 X SAE 10, I only received 1 (i'm not at home right now so will check amount later). Any idea how large each of the 2 bottles were? I am wondering if i have a bigger bottle thus only needing 1?

Michael
My bottles were 1 liter each. Used 1.5 liters.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:29 PM   #120
willy1818
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Shit! I am fairly sure mine is only 1 litre, so not enough to even think about starting replacing the springs.

Thanks
Michael