Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2009, 03:06 AM   #1
mcfear OP
now known as many things

Oddometer: 2,588
mcfear does it again. #2

well how to say it.
i just got home after spending 8 hrs in hospital. end result, no booze for at least 2 months and no contact sport for at least 4.

was riding the border ranges today with some people, and on one downhill corner, hit a patch of particularily deep gravel and both wheels decided they were going to the right. the bike was pointing in the direction i wanted to go (i think) and the back wheel was loaded with power, but the bike wanted to go to the right. end result, buckled rear rim, broken rear fender, hole in front mudguard where stick 1" diameter went through whilst narrowly missing the oil cooler. thats all i noticed at the time.

me, i cant move my left leg all that well at the hip cause apparently i did the splits trying to right the bike (dont remember that bit) chest hurts cause i copped the bars to them which has caused slight liver damage, but docs said it looks like its just bruised, hence the no booze or contact sports thing.

musta also copped the end of a bar to the chin, cause i bit through my tongue all the way around so i cant really talk at the moment and cant eat cause i cant move my jaw.

bikes been left at a farmhouse down there cause i got taken out by an ambo and parents met me at the hospital. going back next weekend to get it hopefully.

it looks like the back of the bike hit the tree cause the backs pretty mangled. rear rims got a buckle in it about an inch wider then it usually sits and for about 6inches of the circumference. plus when i got up, (i think i blacked out, im not sure, wouldnt have been for long 10 secs max) the back wheel was against the tree and there was a fallen branch through the forks and front wheel that we had to get the park ranger to cut with a chainsaw to get the bike back onto the road.

got some pics on my phone, but at the moment i cant be stuffed uploading them all, i will do it tomorrow or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
mcfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:09 AM   #2
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,014
Do you need a hand to retrieve your bike on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:15 AM   #3
Tee Dee Mmm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,623
Mc Crash,

Hope you recover soon and the bike is not too hurt. I know we all fall at times but you need to slow bit till you get some more experience,

IMHO this is the biggest issue when less experienced riders try to keep up with the faster more experienced guys, Next ride back off and just stay with the KTM guys

Read in the paper that a 21yo guy died near where i live at Springfield after a fall, mates found him concious but on the way home his condition became worse and he died in hospital.

Tee Dee Mmm screwed with this post 11-22-2009 at 04:49 PM
Tee Dee Mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:20 AM   #4
What's his Face
lost as

Oddometer: 3,552
dude.....

you so need a new hobby

hope you heal quick
Old 11-22-2009, 03:26 AM   #5
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,476
Damn you beat me to it Monkey. And by the way McCrash get better soon !!!!
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:41 AM   #6
mcfear OP
now known as many things

Oddometer: 2,588
gsd4me, thanks but its already sorted one of the guys i was riding with today is taking me down next weekend.

tee dee mmm, i wasnt going fast, was only going 40 - 50kms. well at least thats what the guy behind me said i was doing. i dont remember all that much from it.

monkey, i have a hobby haha, its just painful sometimes. but if we dont crash whilst learning how to ride, we arent learning.

my tongue is that swollen, i could barely get down cold 2 min noodles by tipping my head back and just letting them slide down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
mcfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:52 AM   #7
Tee Dee Mmm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfear
tee dee mmm, i wasnt going fast, was only going 40 - 50kms.

but if we dont crash whilst learning how to ride, we arent learning.
You have to find a balance as the way you are going there won't be anything left to learn.

On our Cape York trip last year i had two falls, 1 big mother (100+ on Battlecamp Road passing a 4x4) that nearly ended the trip for me on the second day and another smaller one in sand while i was still injured, we had another guy with us that only started riding last year and if he did not fall 5 or 6 times ( some quite big crashes) everyday trying to keep up it was a day we did not ride. He has since sold his bike and walked away from riding, he fell alot but did not learn anything apart from it hurts.
Tee Dee Mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:58 AM   #8
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,214
Quote:
which has caused slight liver damage, but docs said it looks like its just bruised, hence the no booze.
Any chance of a second opinion?????

Mate, very bad luck......been there etc.

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:10 AM   #9
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,646
Bad luck about your mishap, may be it's time you spent a lazy $150 on a coaching course. One of the best farkles you can buy for the rider

CCC ride Cattle, Coal & Cane or Captains Crossing & Castlemaine.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post17025601
outback jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:17 AM   #10
Sundowner
Bort

Oddometer: 3,502
Great satisfaction comes from great effort, Grasshopper. Sometimes you must shake the tree to eventually enjoy the fruit.
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:20 AM   #11
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,173
mcintensive ward

Quote:

tee dee mmm, i wasnt going fast, was only going 40 - 50kms. well at least thats what the guy behind me said i was doing. i dont remember all that much from it.
mate...

really sorry you keep having to learn these lessons this (painfull) way... is any of it sinking in yet? Apart from the pain?

I assume from his comments that tee dee mmm was on the ride...? Otherwise I will bite my tongue (oops... terrible pun considering the circumstances )...

But regards your comment; "I wasn't going fast..."

Mate, listen closely; considering the description of the damage that you and your bike sustained, and the fact that nobody in front OR behind you in the group stacked on the same corner (did they?)... then to any person with sound reasoning, it would appear that YOU were going TOO FAST for the conditions and/or your ability at that point in time.

It's simple physics mate, a motorcycle tyre does not loose traction (unless an unexpected puncture) for some "unkown" reason; other than the speed involved exceeded the traction offered by the road surface under the conditions that prevail. To a certain extent natural ability and training will assist in honing the ability and skills to identify just where that "fine balance" lies... but for the majority of us, its is just "experience" that teaches you these "skills" and depending on how often you ride... that requires time.

As far as the "school of hard falls" is concerned; you my friend are an "A" student at the moment... I would suggest take a vacation for a bit.

mcfear, roll back the video tape in your mind over the last few months of all the carnage you've experienced and consider all of the circumstances...

What is the one common denominator mate? Not the bike you were riding (3 different makes models), not the people you were riding with, the road conditions you were on, nor the traffic situation you were riding in... the common denominator was YOU my friend. THAT's where the root of your dilema is, and until you reappraise the "young gun" keeping up with the other blokes tactic... I'm afraid the painfull lessons are going to continue for you.

End of sermon.

I truly hope you heal up soon and feeling better mate... I bit through my tongue once in an endo (mx track) when I was 12 and had stitches in my tongue... it hurts and it is a hassle to talk/eat, I sympathsize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:20 AM   #12
Rev Tiny
Twisted Archer

Oddometer: 2,602
mate sorry to hear that heal quick
'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.'
tEAM nONG
Rev Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:33 AM   #13
Hardhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,427
I had 2 stacks close together a couple of years ago. The first one I dislocated my thumb
Result- 2 pins inserted to get it back where it belongs.
Simple mistake but I was trying to keep up with more experienced riders. My fault.

Next effort.
Just turning the bike around on a hill and popped my knee. Ruptured ACL, grade 3 tear MCL and cracked tibia.

Result- Knee reco

It doesn't take much but it can happen to us all.
I learnt my lesson and now stay well and truly within my capabilities.

Biggest thing was that in both cases I had just started new jobs. I nearly lost both of them.

Heal fast mate and take it easy.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:29 AM   #14
angryad
Don't drop the soap.

Oddometer: 1,431
sorry to hear about the latest bingle there Mcsober....

Just think of it as an accelerated learning curve!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=pQk4k_xXC3k
angryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:06 PM   #15
gazz411
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Hey Mcfear. Sorry to hear about your off. Hope you make a quick recovery. Take it easy
Gazz
gazz411 is offline   Reply With Quote