Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Neat project... and cool beer fridge.
sraber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:43 PM   #17
G2mk3 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Put on the rear wheel today and modified the head tube so the triple clamp doesn't hit it (had to cut a few mm off of the bottom.

That fridge is pretty bitchin', my buddy is thinking this summer he's gonna repaint it gulf blue/orange and have the chrome refinished.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:24 PM   #18
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,344
Nice. I can't wait to get my 920R on the road.

I'm in the middle of the starter upgrade.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:11 PM   #19
G2mk3 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

What did you decide to do for a starter upgrade?

Mine is making noise but it "works" every time. I've been debating if I want to try to fix it, or wait and if I end up really liking the Frankenstein I'm creating I'd swap in a 1100 w/ xt600 pistons, and in the process get the better starter setup.

p.s. if mods think this thread would be better off in old's cool feel free to move it

G2mk3 screwed with this post 01-20-2010 at 07:43 PM
G2mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #20
RedRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2mk3
What did you decide to do for a starter upgrade?

Mine is making noise but it "works" ever time. I've been debating if I want to try to fix it, or wait and if I end up really liking the Frankenstein I'm creating I'd swap in a 1100 w/ xt600 pistons, and in the process get the better starter setup.

p.s. if mods think this thread would be better off in old's cool feel free to movie it

I picked up an 86 model parts bike, and swapped over the different gears, covers, and solenoid. Unfortunately the starter was dead, so it's getting rebuilt right now.
I think as long as yours is starting right leave it. They all sound terrible.
I just spotted the thread on Viragotech with back wheel to front swap.
Nice.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:41 PM   #21
G2mk3 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I saw the back wheel -> front swap posted on dotheton.com, I considered it for a little bit but I figured it wouldn't yield the best handling (which is obviously not the swap's intent) and the better tire options are for the 18" sizes, plus I have yet to see a virago with the xj900r bits swapped on.

This week I got in the mail a straight set of xj900r forks and left handlebar. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to strip the forks, but other than that progress on my bike will be limited to making the adapters for the r6 calipers for a while. Anybody happen to know how much fluild the xj900r forks take? I haven't been able to find much tech info on the forks on xjbikes.com.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:56 PM   #22
RedRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2mk3
I saw the back wheel -> front swap posted on dotheton.com, I considered it for a little bit but I figured it wouldn't yield the best handling (which is obviously not the swap's intent) and the better tire options are for the 18" sizes, plus I have yet to see a virago with the xj900r bits swapped on.

This week I got in the mail a straight set of xj900r forks and left handlebar. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to strip the forks, but other than that progress on my bike will be limited to making the adapters for the r6 calipers for a while. Anybody happen to know how much fluild the xj900r forks take? I haven't been able to find much tech info on the forks on xjbikes.com.

Do a search here for XJ900. I think I recall one or two around here.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:56 AM   #23
weerider650
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
I used to have an 82 Virago 750. It was my very first bike. Its what tuned me off on Yamaha. The starter had alot of issues even after being replaced and the carbs were junk. Mine blew a piliot jet out of it. It sounded like marbles trying to start. It was always a mystery if that bike would ever start when you went for a ride. I cant tell you how many times it was push started, I lost track.
weerider650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:26 PM   #24
RedRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_beemer
I used to have an 82 Virago 750. It was my very first bike. Its what tuned me off on Yamaha. The starter had alot of issues even after being replaced and the carbs were junk. Mine blew a piliot jet out of it. It sounded like marbles trying to start. It was always a mystery if that bike would ever start when you went for a ride. I cant tell you how many times it was push started, I lost track.

Just replacing that starter is only a temporary fix. There are ways to make them work better, or upgrade them.
IT seems that a lot of bikes from the early 80's have carb issues. I wonder if that was due to the advent of emissions regs.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:03 PM   #25
mitchxout
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Removing and reinstalling the carbs on a friend's 1100 Virago was like hell, but worse. I can only imagine the frustration in owning one with carb probs and having to remove them over and over.
mitchxout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #26
G2mk3 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The first 3? years came with hitachi carbs, which seem to be a bit finicky, the rest of the years have mikuni carbs. My bike w/ the hitachi carbs which sat around since 03' starts pretty easy now that I uncloged the jets. The carbs are a lot easier to take on and off once you get a little practice ;)
Old 01-21-2010, 11:25 PM   #27
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMorse

My first summer of riding was on a Virago 500, an early 80s model that my dad got from a friend for a whopping $400. It was silly looking and had retarded ergos (made for very very short people I guess), but I loved it! That little 500 V twin was a great engine. Plenty of oomph for me and the girlfriend to take day trips to the lakes and mountains. We had a great time on that bike. With the reliability and shaft drive, I never did a lick of maintenance on it, but it ran great until one day the CDI gave out. My older brother fixed it rode it last summer. I got my own bike now
Good call on the rims. Man those stockers are silly looking! Good luck on the rebuild, I'm interested to see what you do with it.
Sounds pretty similar to my start w/ motorcycles. Mine was an 83 Virago 500, I bought for $500 while going to school at UNH in Durham. Kinda sucked having no car in NH, but I have great memories of picking up girls on campus w/ that ratty old bike.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:42 PM   #28
G2mk3 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well I'm glad that's over with.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:59 PM   #29
JBMorse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Okay, now, come on there mister smiley. Please divulge how you got those fork legs so shiny! I've got a pair that would love to get that treatment.
JBMorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:25 PM   #30
G2mk3 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I cleaned up the extra set of forks in the parts washer to get the crud off, then I wet sanded them with 320 (?), not to expose aluminum, but just to get rid of all the weird coatings, road/brake dust and sticker residue off. I wasn't too sure what I wanted to paint them with, in the end i used duplicolor 'aluminum' engine enamel. The paint worked well in the end, but I wasn't too thrilled about how it went on, my advice when using it would be to do light coats until the part is 100% covered, then a medium coat in the end. There was a bit of weirdness with the paint that went away as it dried, and I did have one sag/run but once they were dry it was hardly noticeable. Thus far I'm pleased with the paint's durability, but obviously they have yet to see any real use.

I thought about polishing them, and I may still polish the other set, but I decided A. that isn't what this bike is about and B. There are far better places to spend time working on the bike than polishing the fork legs.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have some pictures of it back on the ground with the new forks, tires and some other bits.